What's your most accurate hunting rifle?

huntnful

WKR
What's the relevance of 10 shots to verify a "group".

There is none...
It’s to have an idea of your rifle and load’s actual dispersion. I view it less as a group, and more as the actual repeatable consistency that the rifle and you behind the rifle are capable of and can depend on day in and day out. 3 shots 100% does not tell you any of the above information, and 10 shots barely does.

It’s to have an idea of your rifle and load’s actual dispersion. I view it less as a group, and more as the actual repeatable consistency that the rifle and you behind the rifle are capable of and can depend on day in and day out. 3 shots 100% does not tell you any of the above information, and 10 shots barely does.

But if the cold bore shot falls within the cone...

Multiple shots for grouping is nothing more than a confidence builder in the shooter and makes the MOA "average" better. The dumb steel of the rifle doesn't know or doesn't care.

If it can be done with 20 shots, it can be done with 1...

huntnful

WKR

Multiple shots for grouping is nothing more than a confidence builder in the shooter and makes the MOA "average" better. The dumb steel of the rifle doesn't know or doesn't care.

You don’t know what your cone is unless you actually shoot it. And yes the cold bore will fall within it unless something is wrong with your gun/optic.

Yes it’s a confidence thing as well as knowing the actually consistency of you behind your rifle over a large course of fire.

pbroski

Lil-Rokslider

But you can't know the cone size unless you shoot a decent sample size of shots . Once the cone size is known, you can be confident the 1 single shot will fall somewhere within that established area. That's the reasoning behind large sample size groups. I guess you can call it confidence building because you will be sure to hit where you expect.

Last edited:

RS3579

WKR
Browning A-Bolt stainless stalker. 30.06 with BOSS. close 2nd is Savage Light Weight hunter 7mm-08. All factory loads

Byrdman

FNG
Most accurate I own is a tc venture in .243. Shoots easily under moa with 55gr Nosler as well as 100gr Hornady interlock.

So if you only shoot 1 shot “groups” how do you know what your most accurate gun is? Just going off the title of the thread here.

Also how does shooting more shots make the MOA “average” better? Shooting more shots is never going to make a group smaller.

And so I’m not just cluttering the thread with replies to this nonsense. My most accurate rifle currently is a tikka rebarreled with a PVA in 6.5 PRC that shoots 10 round groups in the 0.9-1.1 MOA range depending on the day.

Pilsner

Lil-Rokslider
So I'm curious how price plays into accuracy. My assumption is that its minor relevance.

The rifle should be of the hunting class, say less than 12lbs.

So I my most accurate is probably my tikka 22-250, I haven't taken the thermal off it to shoot a groups with it, but sighting in, she's sub 1/2 moa.

What's your go to tack driver?

Ps, second choice might possibly be my ruger american g2
My 2 most accurate rifles are a Ruger American in 6mm CM and a RA Gen 2 in .223 (whichever model is the short barreled version)

They also happen to be my least expensive modern center-fire rifles.

LightFoot

WKR
It’s definitely not my most expensive rifle but it shoots as good or better than my Gunwerks and my McWhorter custom.

Tikka 300 Win

bc574e595c7d3b4ab470be64a7cff634.jpg

My dad’s Browning Abolt II 270 Win BOSS shoots even better. I wish he was still here to hunt with it.

408cf0a1dc4fb44a2dbc25cd0f22ef02.jpeg

>>>——JAKE——>

Last edited:

Choupique

WKR
A bubbarized mauser m96 that will cut beer bottle caps at 100 yards with lapua ammo

I had a tikka 25-06 that was wonderful. I sold it like the idiot I am after losing a few deer.

bruno747

FNG
Me too. 90% of what I hear is bad
To be fair when I was researching it, I saw much of the same. Lots of ho hum reports or bad reports. But I never saw a single post or video regarding the carbon fiber barrel and stock version (carbon elevate). They were unobtanium for a while. It was a risk based on reviews and maybe I got lucky, but I am so glad I snagged it both for myself and as a training rifle for people new to shooting that I take to the range.

Nothing quite like seeing the smile on someone new to shooting when they land a hit on a 5" plate at 300 yards after a very short bit of coaching.

Jim538

FNG
My most accurate gun is probably the old m77 in 6mm Remington. Pretty cool old gun.

Harvey_NW

WKR
What's the relevance of 10 shots to verify a "group".

There is none. And a "cold bore challenge" is a nonsensical waste of time...
There is definitely statistical relevance in different group sizes. 10 drives the variability down far enough that you actually get a representation of consistency, and you can apply statistics to. A cold bore challenge is less about a proven system, and more about the fundamentals being applied to a hunting type situation with a cold shooter. If you think it's a nonsensical waste of time, you either haven't honestly tried it, or you're an extremely fundamentally sound and slightly egotistical shooter.

I replied to this because I think it's beneficial to the thread. When referring to your most accurate rifle, if all you've ever shot is 3 shot groups try 10 sometime and see if it holds together.