What’s your ideal hunting truck?

OP
L

Ludo

FNG
There is a lot to be said for the comfort of a full size truck. I don’t know how guys can be comfortable in the seats of a Tacoma or 4Runner for more than a quick trip around town.

I’m a pretty average 5’9” 190# guy and they feel like toy car seats.

Also, scratches. You will get pinstriping on the truck, no matter the size. White and silver hide them the best.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I Agree with both of those points. The seats in my 4Runner are horrendous, and my paint is 100% pinstripe now. I don’t even try to avoid brush or branches anymore.

OP
L

Ludo

FNG
Just curious, why the 34’s on the 4Runner? I’ve got a 21 4Runner and for me it’s pretty much the ideal hunting rig. I hunt by myself, so being able to easily sleep in my rig is a must. A factory non lifted 4Runner with BFG’s or other good all terrain tire, will get me anywhere I need to go off road in pursuit of game, with OK gas mileage. It’s reliable so I’m not worried about it breaking down somewhere outside of Yaak, Montana lol.
If I had a pickup truck, I’d 100% get one of those clamshell campers like the Gofast Camper or AT Overland. You have standing room to get dressed in the mornings, a comfy bed and plenty of storage and it all stows away in just a few seconds. That would be hard to beat for the traveling hunter like me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
34’s are the sweet spot for 4Runners. 33’s just don’t seem like that much of a jump from stock, and 35’s are too heavy in my opinion to make it worth it. Some lighter weight 34’s with 4.56 gears feels like you’re driving a stock 4Runner (power-wise) with a significant increase in axle clearance.

ianpadron

WKR
My "woods rig" is a '98 4Runner with 303,000 miles on it. 2.5" lift and some good all terrains...it has never and will never leave me stranded. Turning radius of a side by side and narrow enough to wiggle through all kinds of nasty forest service roads. Bone stock with highway tires it went basically anywhere too...

I take my F150 all over the place too, but man the 4Runner is exponentially more nimble, and I can stuff about the same amount of gear in it, still sleep in the back with the seats removed, tow a trailer or dirt bike...

I really think most guys with local hunting opportunities are served best with a mildly tricked out 90s-early 2000s Toyota truck/SUV to beat the shit out of with zero remorse and a nicer rig for out of state hunts and hauling the family, toys, etc.

I’m looking at selling my 4Runner (gets roughly 12mpg) and buying a new truck to use daily, but also as a hunting rig. I’m a Ford guy, but open to other brands. I know I want a 6’ bed, 4x4.. but do I go 1/2 ton? 3/4 ton? Diesel/gas? I apply in every western state, so this truck will rack up a LOT of miles. What do you all suggest?
Also, do you guys prefer drawer systems, camper shell, etc? I won’t be towing much in the near future, but those 6.7 Powerstroke F250’s are tempting.
Currently deciding between:
1. Keeping my 2020 4Runner (it’s regeared, on 34’s, winch, Gobi rack, etc).
2. Buying new F150 Powerboost, getting camper shell and decked drawer system.
3. Buying new F250 Powerstroke, getting camper shell and decked drawer system.
Toyota Tacoma is hard to beat!

Yoder

WKR
The rig I currently run is a 2013 Mazda 3 on 16's. This puppy gets 30mpg and is front wheel drive. I have some sweet kayak racks and I'm setup to pull my utility trailer. It doesn't do that well off road but it was $40k cheaper than a new truck.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
After all these years dragging all my friends around, I'm going with, the perfect truck is, someone else's truck.

cjdewese

WKR
Fantasizing is fun, but imagine all the gas you can buy by saving that car payment you’ll probably end up with.
I think this is over looked a lot of time. That 4runner will last forever, hopefully no car payments. Do your research and drive as many differwnt trucks as you can to see what fits you best.

dboone3

Lil-Rokslider
The rig I currently run is a 2013 Mazda 3 on 16's. This puppy gets 30mpg and is front wheel drive. I have some sweet kayak racks and I'm setup to pull my utility trailer. It doesn't do that well off road but it was $40k cheaper than a new truck.
Link to the kayak racks? And trailer? How much can you pull with it? Pics would be nice!

CObywayofUSAF

Lil-Rokslider
I've had Frontiers for awhile and I absolutely love them. Throw a camper on it and it does everything I want with decent mpg. I originally wanted a taco but I couldn't justify the extra 10K here in CO. As much as I'd love to run something American, every Ford or Chevy I had growing up was nothing but problems. I don't tow anything though, it's just my commuter/hunting&fishing rig.

Poser

WKR
I have a 4Th Gen Sport Edition 4Runner (V8) with aftermarket suspension: Bilstein 6112/5160 and aftermarket/off-road specific control arms, tie rods etc. It probably sitting about an inch higher than stock. Stock size tires, but 10 ply M/Ts for summer and 10 ply Winter tires. I’ve taken that thing through the chunky, the loose, the steep and nasty, deep snow. Air down the tires to 20 psi, pick some good lines through technical terrain and it will go through anything.

The only downside is line of sight over the hood when climbing steep grades -can’t see shit! On That particular model, you’re in AWD in 4H, but can’t manually downshift below 3rd gear into 2nd gear unless you switch to 4 low. No idea why, by for mountain highway driving, I’m considering regearing. Third gear is a little hot for wolf creek pass in a winter storm and has me riding my brakes like a Texan.

Maverick1

WKR
I’m looking at selling my 4Runner (gets roughly 12mpg) ……. I’m a Ford guy,
LOL. “I drive a Toyota but I’m a Ford guy”. Which one is it? Or are you one of those guys that drives a Toyota but identifies himself as a Ford guy?

I apply in every western state, so this truck will rack up a LOT of miles.
LMAO. Confused much? FNG status showing through! Applying to a lot of states has little to no correlation with miles driven. Low draw odds and point creep means you could buy a Prius, keep your Toyota status, and save $ on gas!

Thanks for the chuckles.

Everybody has different needs, but I just built my "hunting truck" the end of last year.

I bought this 2012 F150 new and basically wore it out as a work truck... went looking for a new truck and refused to pay $80K for a crew cab diesel.. decided I didn't need deisel.

I had this one rebuilt from the ground up... New EVERYTHING, from the engine to the last bearing and belt... 100% new drive train, added a bumper, 12k winch, decked box, inverter, lights, ...

Tows well enough for what I need.. super happy with it and only have $26K into the rebuild.... way better than a new truck.
3 months later and still the best decision on a new vehicle I have ever made

SwiftShot

WKR
For years I ran around in a Dodge Ram 1500 Eco Diesel. It had a canopy and was set up for hunting. The most important thing. It rode on the highway like a dream. Throw a cot in the back and sleep great. Awesome rig plus mid 20s mpg was nice.

TxAggie15

FNG
Have to be a crew cab Tacoma. As expensive as side by sides have gotten you might as well just buy a truck with heat and AC. Plus don’t have to drag a trailer