Hunting Truck Mid vs Full Size

huntsd

WKR
I am in the market for a new truck. I am torn between mid and full size (1/2 ton). Would appreciate some input. Some info about my hunting style:

-I do not use side by sides or tow anything (truck needs to be trail worthily to get me to my spots)
-sleep in the back of the truck. will put a camper shell on
-all hunts are DIY western
-all hunts are solo or with max 1 other person

I am leaning towards a Tacoma since they aren't as wide a full size and would seem to be better on 2 track roads, tight trails ect..

Last edited:

Dented

WKR
I've used a mid size SUV and a 1 ton truck. For what you're describing I'd be thinking Tacoma. I spent 3 weeks in the suv solo, you could certainly do that in the taco with a shell.

The 1 ton is tough to get around in the tight stuff.

49ereric

WKR
Used to be guys in the mountains wanted full floating axles front and rear for the dependability.

Ucsdryder

WKR
The models I am looking at have 6 foot bed

How tall are you? If you’re 5’6” that only leaves 3” each direction. It’s annoying sleeping in the back of a truck and waking up because your foot is cold because it’s been pressed up against the bed of the truck.

The 6.5 foot bed on the tundra is perfect. Not as nimble as a Tacoma but a lot handier.

OP
huntsd

huntsd

WKR
5'11 about an inch to spare. I have a 6 foot bed right now in my old crappy ranger. no issues sleeping in it

CorbLand

WKR
As a short person 5 foot 8 inches and as an individual that has spent a lot of time in a Tacoma. If you want to sleep in the bed, I would seriously consider a Tundra.

meconium

FNG
I have a Tacoma with 6ft bed and I'm about 5'11". Sleeping in it is fine. I really like the added security of the shell when in bear country. Also you are guaranteed to have a flat sleeping surface every night. More bed length is obviously better, but you can make it work. I would be hesitant to take a full size pickup in the woods, unless it was already an absolute shitbox and you didn't care about scratches and dents.

OP
huntsd

huntsd

WKR
I have a Tacoma with 6ft bed and I'm about 5'11". Sleeping in it is fine. I really like the added security of the shell when in bear country. Also you are guaranteed to have a flat sleeping surface every night. More bed length is obviously better, but you can make it work. I would be hesitant to take a full size pickup in the woods, unless it was already an absolute shitbox and you didn't care about scratches and dents.
I'd say I can generally find a flat spot here is my grand plan for a bed

RocketRob16

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t sleep in the bed of mine (5ft) but here is a hearty vote for the Tacoma. I’ve taken it from east to west hunting and it’s always gotten me where I was going and never left me stranded. I can imagine a 6 ft bed with a camper shell would be a pretty slick setup though.

Broadhead

FNG
Maybe I'm the only one that brings too much stuff with me, but I load out my crew cab Ram 1500 with 6.5ft bed when it's me and one other person. Camper shell and decked drawer system. Helpful at night to store everything in the cab while sleeping in the bed. It has gotten me in and out of every place I've needed to take it. Granted, I'm not going down tight two tracks with it.

180ls1

WKR
good point. $35kish is where I am trying to stay. So something used

Have you ruled out SUV's? They are generally superior offroad to trucks because of their better weight distribution. I have a platform and 2/3 of the rear seats removed and sleep in mine. It works very well.