What’s your ideal hunting truck?

hicountry1

Lil-Rokslider
Old style Bronco, had an 84, loved it.

New Bronco is a pos and a death trap.

Watch some crash test videos on YouTube. They crumple like stepping on a beer can.

Old style Bronco, had an 84, loved it.

New Bronco is a pos and a death trap.

Watch some crash test videos on YouTube. They crumple like stepping on a beer can.
New cars are designed to do that so that they absorb that impact instead of you.

The bronco did quite well in safety ratings,

Mosby

WKR
I have a 2018 diesel Colorado ZR2 right now that is tough to beat for hunting. Topper on the back, lifted with front and rear locking diffs. Aren't many Jeep trails I can't get in and out of. I hunt by myself most of the time and plenty of room for me and my 2 hunting dogs. And....it's paid for.

mcseal2

WKR
The one in the pic is my favorite. Only thing I did wrong was find a great deal on to nice of a one, I feel bad beating it up to much.

I usually end up taking my 2012 F-350 and pulling the Polaris Ranger when going out of state. It has the 6.7L diesel and a 40 gallon reserve tank built under the rack on my flatbed.

I use it more fishing in my home state, but my primary driver is an old 98 Suburban I put a grill guard and vinyl floor in. It's not bad to camp in with the back seat removed and has been a good reliable rig. I got it a few years back with only 98k original miles.

Attachments

• DSCF4022.JPG
    DSCF4022.JPG
    428.2 KB · Views: 49

rbljack

WKR
I bought this one used so I wouldn't lose too much if it wasn't for me. I absolutely love it. Comfy, tons of power, fun to drive, and will get anywhere. Mileage sucks but that's anything gas with decent size tires (I put 37s on mine...)
How are you liking that topper? I think that topper and a "decked system" in the bed would be ideal in a mega cab for a hunting rig. I wont do any crazy off roading, but offers tons of interior room for coolers, camp and recovery gear, etc.

Marshfly

WKR
How are you liking that topper? I think that topper and a "decked system" in the bed would be ideal in a mega cab for a hunting rig. I wont do any crazy off roading, but offers tons of interior room for coolers, camp and recovery gear, etc.
Love it. Absolutely love it. I've had Leers on my last two trucks and I love the quality and huge side doors on this one.
About the decked...if you every want to sleep in the truck, installing the decked is going to make it feel like a coffin. Also throwing coolers and such in there would be a huge PITA with the increased height. I don't see the point in an expensive decked setup under a topper. Just put stuff in plastic bins. The topper is already secure and watertight.
I have a bed rug in there which finishes it really nicely. Things don't move around but will slide if I need them too. Also very easy to clean with a hose or pressure washer.

There is something to be said for hunting out of an old beater. Mine was a 1986 Ford F-150 4x4, with a hi-rise topper and a 302 automatic. 12-13 mpg on a good day, doggy, and 170k on the second motor when I bought it for $1050, including and extra set of mounted winter tires. Good winter/mud tires were a must or you weren't getting off the pavement very far!

I, my bride, and our kids bombed around the county in that thing and I had it for 11-12 years or so. Had 270k on it when I sold it and was my daily driver here local.

Rarely failed me. The gent I bought it from was a family friend who loved that truck. Bought it as a retirement gift to himself when he retired from construction and engineering dealing with a lot of steel buildings. He drove it across country multiple times, short logged with it, moose hunted out of it, camped, andfished too. Asked how it was driving everytime we spoke on the phone after he moved.

Last we spoke, he too agreed it was getting to the point of time to sell. All good things come to an end he said.

Three times it wouldn't start while I owned it. First was a bad alternator buddy jumped It and got back to town. Second time a buddy towed me in when it quit while trapping. The last time, I had to call a tow truck in the late morning from a business parking lot, it just wouldn't start.

Found out a few days later, the day I towed the truck, my buddy passed away at 96ish years old. Always thought that was appropriate somehow, he'd loved that truck. He'd have gotten a kick out of me needing to tow it cause it wouldn't run when he passed.

There are ideal trucks for hunting designed around our uses. But some of them come along with a set of memories that almost make them priceless to us, at least in our memories.

WCT3

FNG
For me my first gen, access cab tundra is perfect (other than the fuel range). I have drawers in the bed and a mid rise topper which leaves plenty of room to sleep comfortably/sit up. There's enough room for 2 guy's hunting gear or me, my girlfriend, and the dog on camping trips but still small enough to fit down most trails I want to.

Only changes I want to make are a GFC style camper (easier for sleeping with us and the dog), adding a bumper and winch (I'm out solo a lot while hunting), and upsize tires from 32s to 34s (because I need to compensate).

Crusader

WKR
For me my first gen, access cab tundra is perfect (other than the fuel range). I have drawers in the bed and a mid rise topper which leaves plenty of room to sleep comfortably/sit up. There's enough room for 2 guy's hunting gear or me, my girlfriend, and the dog on camping trips but still small enough to fit down most trails I want to.

Only changes I want to make are a GFC style camper (easier for sleeping with us and the dog), adding a bumper and winch (I'm out solo a lot while hunting), and upsize tires from 32s to 34s (because I need to compensate).
Excuse my ignorance but what is a GFC style camper?