What's wrong with more grizzlies in Idaho?

OP
Rotnguns

Rotnguns

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not saying they should be wiped off the map. They weren't prior to ESA listing. But there are far too many in the GYE right now. With them expanding into the Missouri River breaks, southern Wyoming range, the bighorns, and the Pryor mountains, it's obvious they are at carrying capacity.

I don't even care if there is a hunting season for them, but people should have the ability to defend themselves without prison time or tens of thousands of dollars in fines hanging over their head.

If you're a rancher and one is killing your livestock? Shoot it. If you're hiking and get bluff charged? Shoot it. If you're hunting, have been successful, and one approaches your kill site while you're there? Shoot it.

And quite frankly in Wyoming if I were at G&F I would adopt the same management plan for Grizzlies that is used for wolves.
There has never been a case in Idaho of anyone being prosecuted for killing or shooting a grizzly in self defense. The bowhunters in the very recent attack at Island Park have already been cleared of any wrongdoing.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
There has never been a case in Idaho of anyone being prosecuted for killing or shooting a grizzly in self defense. The bowhunters in the very recent attack at Island Park have already been cleared of any wrongdoing.
I understand they were already cleared, probably due to being mauled.

Fact is the possibility exists that you can currently be criminally charged due to the protected status of the bears.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
I don't even care if there is a hunting season for them, but people should have the ability to defend themselves without prison time or tens of thousands of dollars in fines hanging over their head.
Ummmm they do have the ability to defend themselves. Can you show one case of someone getting fined for self defense? Or prison time?

Wrench

WKR
Ummmm they do have the ability to defend themselves. Can you show one case of someone getting fined for self defense? Or prison time?
I believe his intent is to defend his property as well as person. If you kill a wolf in Nordman you could get a reward. If you go 8 miles west you could face 25k in fines as well as prison time.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
I believe his intent is to defend his property as well as person. If you kill a wolf in Nordman you could get a reward. If you go 8 miles west you could face 25k in fines as well as prison time.
great example. So you’re telling me if you break the law 8 miles away you could get fined and jail time? That’s how laws work…

Good grief.

idahodave

WKR
I don't mind grizzlies in Idaho...I just really don't care for the extensive land-use restrictions that come with them.

If you're unaware of that phenomenon, you're woefully uneducated on the matter.

Dave

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
The grizzly bear is a bad combination of wants to hurt me and carries huge legal problems for me if I have to defend myself.

If I shoot an elk in self defense, I'm going to get run through the legal wringer and a few years of my life will be ruined. But an elk isn't aggressive enough put me in that position just because it sees me.

A coyote would like to hurt me, and one of them might even think he's big enough to give it a try. But if I shoot him in self defense, no one cares. If I shoot one, don't report it, and later on law enforcement finds out about it, they still don't care.

So I don't hate grizzlies, I hate the lawyer that's attached to every single one.

Why do people like to argue so much?

There's no possible way that everyone can be so inflamed about every single topic that comes up on here or on social media or whatever, tripping over yourselves and others to convey that you have the moral/intellectual high ground over some of the stupidest of concepts/topics.

Does anyones opinion in this thread actually mean anything more than anyone else's? Is anyone expecting to change policy today? Is anyone in charge of writing or voting into law anything that will actually do one single thing today?

Probably not, right? So let's just have a discussion. Leave your self-righteousness on facebook or twitter or whatever else and just have a talk here, exchange ideas, be open to concepts outside of your own bubble and toss out what you don't like, quietly.

The world sucks enough without having to be dickheads to each other over something none of us is going to change not one iota.

Wyo_hntr

WKR
The cost of doing business. You gotta pay to play. Don't want to risk being mauled?? Stay on pavement. Xbox in the basement should be safe
That's exactly why anti-hunters want them federally protected with as many as possible on the landscape. To reduce the overall hunter numbers, seasonal or inciddnt closures, etc.

I'm leaving the 12th of Sept to go hunt deer in griz country for the entire deer season..

Last edited:

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
That's exactly why anti-hunters want them federally protected with as many as possible on the landscape. To reduce the overall hunter numbers, seasonal or inciddnt closures, etc.
The WYGFD and all game agencies are doing a terrific job of limiting hunters numbers.

Kill off all the predators and then what would people blame for low ungulate numbers?

Grizzly bears, mountain lions, wolves etc belong on the landscape. Luckily the anti conservationists do not control as much.

Good luck on your deer hunt. With almost record low deer numbers in western WY it’s going to be tough! Everyone I know is giving the mule deer a break this year and last year too.

Stay safe! 🤙

Last edited: