What's wrong with more grizzlies in Idaho?

I know from a previous thread that I've got a (very) minority opinion on this topic, but why are so many against grizzly bears expanding into some of the areas in Idaho that they used to inhabit, and establishing a stable population so we can have a season on them? I think we're seeing a rather disproportional number of attacks here in Idaho because this apex predator has lost their fear of us. We've got plenty of other predators more than capable of handing us our lunch, but they don't. In over fifty years living and hunting here, I cannot recall a single lion attack (other than a pet that was let loose to get pregnant near Idaho City - a story in itself). Yet California, where as I understand, lions are protected, attacks are more and more frequent. Because we run lions and black bear with dogs and have a long season on them, they have developed a legacy fear and respect for us. In other states, not so much. More grizzlies in our state would keep the wilderness wild and add to the adventure of an outdoor experience. We need more risk opportunities in our lives in general - we're becoming soft as a society. Just my two cents on this topic.
I'm not from a grizzly state. far from it. On one hand, I agree with you that I would like to see native animals back in their native ranges. On the other hand, the people that screech "TRUST THE SCIENCE" the most conveniently ignore Wildlife Biologist recommendations on population control. See Colorado where they are attempting ballot box biology with mountain lions and bobcats because the Antis already lost multiple times when the commissions that are in place to scientifically manage the resource said they are wrong.

Funny timing of this thread. Was just talking to a neighbor, one of the hired hands went to check a field of heifers on a 4 wheeler and got chased by a grizz. They saw a bunch of magpies so figure there is a kill site. FWP is supposed to check it out this morning.

Elk97

WKR
I wish your theory about grizzlies developing a fear of man if hunted were true, but it's not. As mentioned by someone else the Alaska grizzlies have not become timid little scaredy cats like black bears even though they are hunted. It's not in their DNA, they are named Ursus Arctos Horribilus for a good reason. They are going to be "introduced" in WA North Cascades which is heavily used for recreation by city people. Going to be interesting.

Grizzlies are hunted in Alaska but haven’t developed a fear of humans. They’re an apex predator and they know it. Fear isn’t in their nature.
This isn’t true. We’ve given dozens upon dozens of grizzlies/brown bears our wind and once they hit it, they exit the country very quickly. Some of the areas we’ve done this in, it’s hard to imagine they’ve seen too many humans. I’ve had one sow with second year cubs purposely get my wind and follow it back to my tree stand, that was a bit spooky. That’s the only anomaly I can think of.

IDVortex

WKR
If the animals were actually being managed properly then sure. But we have zero hunting for them, with a over population of bears. NW Montana is a perfect example of ample bears but no state can get them delisted. If folks could choose between mating with a human, wolf or grizz, a lot of these crazy wackos would probably take laying with a griz over anything else.

Secondly, hunters won't stand up and take on the battle, or really help organizations (like Howl) fight the battle.

These predators are also dividing hunters, a lot of hunters only want to hunt dear or elk, but could careless about predator management, or want more predators due to them once being here (even if it's not the correct animal like the Grey wolf) without any kind of management yet then complain about damaged elk or deer herds from predators.

If people want more predators in the state, they better be damned helping Organizations like Howl or being a pain in the ass to politicians about getting animals off the endangered species list and allow states to manage them.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
I know from a previous thread that I've got a (very) minority opinion on this topic, but why are so many against grizzly bears expanding into some of the areas in Idaho that they used to inhabit, and establishing a stable population so we can have a season on them? I think we're seeing a rather disproportional number of attacks here in Idaho because this apex predator has lost their fear of us. We've got plenty of other predators more than capable of handing us our lunch, but they don't. In over fifty years living and hunting here, I cannot recall a single lion attack (other than a pet that was let loose to get pregnant near Idaho City - a story in itself). Yet California, where as I understand, lions are protected, attacks are more and more frequent. Because we run lions and black bear with dogs and have a long season on them, they have developed a legacy fear and respect for us. In other states, not so much. More grizzlies in our state would keep the wilderness wild and add to the adventure of an outdoor experience. We need more risk opportunities in our lives in general - we're becoming soft as a society. Just my two cents on this topic.
There is nothing wrong with wanting more grizzlies. I’m on board for grizzly and wolf reintroductions. As are the majority of Americans. The world doesn’t revolve around hunters. Guys that preach conservation of one species but not another? Hypocrites.

I’ll always remember seeing my first wild wolf a few years after reintroduction. Great day and it didn’t hurt I shot a bull elk too. 🤙

Rich M

WKR
The settlers killed them off for a reason. Good enough for me.

Dinosaurs were here before - why don't we Jurassic park some up and release those too? Bunch of sentimentalists who feel what is past needs to be again. Pretty clueless actually - the world is on the verge of overpopulation, and now we're gonna restrict folks so we can have more animals that will attack just cause it sees hears or smells you. Bright.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Animal re-intros are almost always highly polarizing and political. Ask yourself why they have pushed so hard for wolves in Co, but not grizzlies? 80 million tourists to the state every year and a lot are hitting the hills. 0 chance they want to hurt that income, but they (anti’s/re-wilders) want to end hunting 1000% and if they can get wolves and lions killing ungulates they will make sure humans get taken out of the equation

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider

Dinosaurs were here before - why don't we Jurassic park some up and release those too? Bunch of sentimentalists who feel what is past needs to be again. Pretty clueless actually - the world is on the verge of overpopulation, and now we're gonna restrict folks so we can have more animals that will attack just cause it sees hears or smells you. Bright.
With that thinking we should kill off all the buffalo, deer, elk, moose etc Luckily you’re in the very small minority with those views.

Cars kill more people in a week than all the people ever killed by grizzlies. Maybe we should stop driving 😂

If the world is overpopulated (your opinion) then a few more human eating bears would help manage people correct?

Who’s managing the humans? We need more man eating bears!

Last edited:
Grizzlies are hunted in Alaska but haven’t developed a fear of humans. They’re an apex predator and they know it. Fear isn’t in their nature.
How much grizzly and brown bear in person experience do you have up here in Alaska? Based on this I'm gonna guess little to none.

Funny you mention dinosaurs...not sure if Mammoths would classify as one.

With that thinking we should kill off all the buffalo, deer, elk, moose etc Luckily you’re in the very small minority with those views.
More moose attacks than bear attacks every year in Alaska. Let’s round up the boys and whipe em out!

I rarely warn my boys about bears or wolves. Every time they walk out the back door to play we remind them to look for moose and ask them to recite to us what they do if a moose walks in the yard.

FAAFO

Lil-Rokslider
How about we trade some of theor
More moose attacks than bear attacks every year in Alaska. Let’s round up the boys and whipe em out!

I rarely warn my boys about bears or wolves. Every time they walk out the back door to play we remind them to look for moose and ask them to recite to us what they do if a moose walks in the yard.
same here! Spring time is always interesting hiking with dogs. Dogs come running back and usually 5 secs later here comes pissed off mama moose!

BuckSmasher

Lil-Rokslider
Have you lived in Idaho to see the death of outfitters in the former top elk zones? Do you remember when there were 50 lumber mills within an hour of cda? Did you see what the grey ghost did to priest lake?

Sure griz are not an alien and I am not afraid of them, but to risk my property or stiff jail time for protecting myself or property just so we can have more unmanageable apex shit is laughable.

Make it an $18 fine for shooting one and I'm fine with it. Btw, what are they going to eat? Berry season is only a couple months and we don't have salmon filled streams. If you look at the harvest reports......we're not exactly killing many elk and that assumes that those elk come from grizzly habitat.

This is reckless at best. Novel idea, 100 years too late.
What is the 'grey ghost'?