What's the most accurate fixed blade head on the market?

bwlacy

WKR
Not sure. A few years ago I wanted to play with all the ones I had laying around. But first I spine tuned each arrow to my bow, bare shaft tuned until I couldn't get it any better for me. Then I was really surprised how forgiving my bow was. Then I shot Thunderhead 125', and 150's, Muzzy 125's, 90's, Steelforce sabertooth 100's, Steelforce Phat heads, Tri Loc 80's, some old Vortex mechanicals. And as long as they spun good and I would hunt with them then they shot well. I didn't find any one more accurate than the others. Now some are a lot more durable, sharper, penetrate easier, etc...

Vandal 44

WKR
There is more to the "Most Accurate BH" than people think. I feel thats why there is so much debate on this topic. Reason for Broad Head accuracy 1) Is your bow tuned, then theres what kind of "tuned". Paper Tuned, Walk Back Tuned, Broad Head Tuned, French Tuned, Asian Tuned and any other kind of tuned thats out there. 2) What kind of "Grip" do you have. Low Grip, High Grip, Neutral Grip, Relaxed Grip, Firm Grip and can you repeat the same grip in a pressure situation (when that animal comes into bow range) 3) I think the speed of the bow plays a big factor. The faster the arrow especially when you get over 300 FPS with some of the so called bigger longer broad heads you will see increased planning and a less accuracy. I am sure there are some other factors that I am forgetting that will have an effect on the accuracy of the broad head you are shooting.

It frustrates the hell out of me when I person comes into the archery shop a week before hunting season to buy broad heads and arrows they always say "I need to get dialed in, the season starts soon" WELL NO $#!+. These are the same people that blame the broad head when they miss an animal or wound an animal.

There are a lot of good broad heads on the market, get your bow dialed in and see what broad head flies the best for your set up and stick with it. My bow shoots a 430 grain arrow at 298 FPS and the broad heads I like, are very accurate for me out to 80 yards and I have killed elk with are the following Muzzy Trocar, Exodus, Snuffer SS, Shuttle T and Wac'em. Granted the elk I have taken weren't wall hangers but its meet in the freezer.

I recently tried the Grizz trick 2 . It was 2" left of my field pts. I also shot the Muzzy Trocar they were about an 1 1/2 high but on . Both out to 30 yds

blackduck889

Lil-Rokslider
Shuttle T, Sonic 7/8", montec in that order for me. Used an Ulmer edge on 5 doe's for testing. Did well at close range but still dont trust them. Testin the slick trick viper trick soon. Dont care for the thin blades tho. Shuttle T very durable.

I would say there are probably several that shoot well. My friends and I shoot KuduPoint broadheads with good results.

If your bow is in tune they will shoot right with your field points with no need to tune. Win

Also, no timing is needed with your fetchings, just glue the ferruls and go, orientation will not matter. Win

No signs of drag in air, we shoot them from 30-100 yards and no deviation from the field points. Win

Here's an example of how they shoot out to 100 yards with field points, then at the end, shooting two broadheads with different orientation to the fletchings and stacks them at 100 yards.

Seem accurate.

Would invite anyone to come and shoot with us to check them out if they were around Corvallis Oregon.

[video=youtube;8BtJ7Z2U5vk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8BtJ7Z2U5vk[/video]

milunchbox

Lil-Rokslider
I have to tell you shooting 100 yards isnt the broadhead its the tuning and shooter. But as far as broadheads go I've shot alot of them since my buddy test them for his shop. The Grizzly tricks are my favorite, then it goes ramcat (mainly cause they are sharp on both sides and double cut and make some sweet damage), reign broadheads worked really well and would punch through any bone and still come out. Montecs, muzzys and thunderheads always shot well. But with that being said its still up to the shooter and the tuning of the bow and arrows.
Jimbo

Tilzbow

WKR
I just read through the entire thread and I didn't notice a single comment about shooting in the wind and the accuracy of different broadheads in adverse conditions. Wind is the reason I've always got 2 expandables in my quiver during high country hunts and this is due to the fact I haven't found a FBBH that's forgiving when shooting in wind. Although I can maintain decent accuracy when shooting field points in the wind, FBBH groups always open up in my experience.

Assuming tuned bows and competent shooters, let's hear about FBBH accuracy in moderate wind that's blowing hard enough to affect accuracy (10+ gusting to 30 MPH) but not so hard that there's no way to get off an ethical shot (20+ sustained) at a distance that's far enough to matter (40+).

(I'm listing examples based on my opinion so insert your own wind speed and distance.)

Trial153

WKR
I think tolerances of the broadhead have a lot to do with accuracy. After all accuracy coming from constancy, we can tune most any broadhead or batches of the same broadhead providing they are consistent. Honesty I have found consistency lacking in some heads.

Ok to answer the question I have found Solids to be the most accurate fixed blade head that I have used. I find them to be responsive and easy to tune, and very consistent.

Those look almost identical to the Strickland Helix BH's.

They are related, in-sorts with out exposing details.

Kudu has a far superior ferrule over the helix, its shaped like an IBeam, where as helix, and most other screw type ferrules are straight sliced through, like a "U". No screws holding the blade in the kudu.

Brodie

Lil-Rokslider
Having tried thunderheads, montecs, slick trick standards, G5 strikers and shuttle t broadheads I've found the shuttle t to be most accurate at longer distance, they are also silent compared to vented blades.

They are related, in-sorts with out exposing details.

Kudu has a far superior ferrule over the helix, its shaped like an IBeam, where as helix, and most other screw type ferrules are straight sliced through, like a "U". No screws holding the blade in the kudu.

Do you work, own, or have any affiliation with kudu heads?

I just read through the entire thread and I didn't notice a single comment about shooting in the wind and the accuracy of different broadheads in adverse conditions. Wind is the reason I've always got 2 expandables in my quiver during high country hunts and this is due to the fact I haven't found a FBBH that's forgiving when shooting in wind. Although I can maintain decent accuracy when shooting field points in the wind, FBBH groups always open up in my experience.

Assuming tuned bows and competent shooters, let's hear about FBBH accuracy in moderate wind that's blowing hard enough to affect accuracy (10+ gusting to 30 MPH) but not so hard that there's no way to get off an ethical shot (20+ sustained) at a distance that's far enough to matter (40+).

(I'm listing examples based on my opinion so insert your own wind speed and distance.)

Trial, I don't have any measured wind speeds because I don't have a wind measuring device, but I hunted on Hawaii for 3 years. That right there is a windy ass place to bow hunt. Shuttle T's and VPA vented worked very well and is all I used religiously, until a friend who shoots trad, sent me a pack of single bevel 2 blade heads. They were less effected in the wind then either of the prior heads, which I would imagine makes sense because there are times the blade has close to zero surface area against the wind. Maybe there is more to it but I'm not sure they just seemed to track better in the wind.

What I also noticed that made a much more drastic difference was arrow weight. Heavier arrows were noticeably less effected in the wind then light speedster arrows.

I also feel that most people have zero idea what their arrow will do in the wind. Most guys shoot indoors or in fair weather, so at that point any amount of wind can result in a poor shot. I've seen guys miss bails from 40, much less miss the kill zone.

Just went and shot 3 different broadheads from my Hoyt CS ZT 34. 2 fixed (Slick Trick Standards 100g and TT Shuttle T 100G) and NAP Killzone 100g. Compared to my FPs, the Killzones required no adjustment, which I pretty much expected. My TT were about 2 inches to the right of my FP and the Slick Tricks were about 4 inches to the right at 20 yards. I move my rest a little bit to the left and my TT were dead nuts but my Slick Tricks were still 3-4 inches right. I'll be taking the Killzone and TT in my quiver this season. If I had more time I could tune just for the Slick Tricks but don't really see the point.

Chris Sloan

Lil-Rokslider
Montecs... ya, i remember when broadheads actually were sharp.

Last edited:

kpk

WKR
Best that I've tried are the slick trick mag 100's.

vcb

WKR
Geez, Aron.....lets open up a heated debate!! LOL.....well if im gonna chime in its the quad exodus for sure!