Whats the deal with gaiters?

So being a treestand hunter from MN, I have never used or have really needed to use gaiters. When and where would someone use gaiters? lol and like everyone else, I am going west this fall to CO to hunt elk (LOL). Will gaiters be needed?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Needed? Probably not. A preference to wear them......maybe. I've hunted many times without them and many with them. I prefer to wear them. CO is normally dry, but they do a great job of keeping all the stuff (pine needles, sticks, burrs, and whatever) out of my boots and off my pants. They also keep your lower pants dry, which then keeps most of your boot dry. They also protect your pants. I didn't wear mine last year one afternoon, and that was the day I slid into a blowdown with a broken off branch that ripped my pants. That wouldn't have happened with my gaiters on.

Fatcamp

WKR
Keep your laces protected and clean. Keep out rocks, dust, sand. Extra layer of support and protection. Sheds water.

I never used the until a few years ago and always wear them in the woods now. Just a low pair I got form Cabela's on sale, but they are a great piece of equipment.

KineKilla

WKR
I always bring mine along but do not always wear them. It's surprising how quickly morning dew, melting frost or grass wet from rain can/will soak through your pant legs, into the upper part of your socks then wick the moisture down into your boots.

Archery hunt no need in my opinion. Late season, snow up to your knees, maybe. I've never worn them but after my run up in WY this year punching holes through snow knee to thigh deep, I may consider for deep snow only.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've never understood the complaint about the heat with gaiters. Do people's lower legs really overheat in any temps? I've worn them in triple digit heat on the Plains and over heated lower legs never even crossed my mind. So September in the high country chasing elk all over the mountains isn't an issue at all with gaiters, and I wear the Yukons (the tall ones).

87TT

WKR
I didn't wear mine yesterday and walking the dog on a leash (she just had Knee surgery last week)though the wet grass and brush, I was soaking wet from the knees down. Today I am sitting here after taking her out and am dry as a bone in my Kryptek gaiters.

WCB

WKR
I wear them for the reason stated above (damp grass, sticks, rocks, snow, MUD)...I am also from MN (unfortunately) and obviously don't wear them here. But I hunt both Dakotas, MT and Wy almost every year and have them on 99% of the time.

Contrary to some people here though I wear them in hot/warm weather also...I can wear quick dry super light pants and not have my shins poked and scraped up by rock or cactus on early season bow hunts. Out west also the mud is a different animal and they will save your boots and pants from the mud.

Do your research though....there are POS gaiters and really good ones...Also some are like walking in plastic bags as far as noise goes.

Gaiters can:
* Keep debris from finding its way into your boots.
* Keep moisture (snow, rain, water) from soaking your lower legs as well as getting into your boots.
* Help reduce the risk of insects getting to your legs/feet. Think chiggers and ticks.
* Help reduce the number of "pokies" that love to poke you. Great for briars and cactus. My Krytek Petras do a better job on this stuff than my Kuiu Yukons.
* Help reduce wear and tear on your pants and boot strings.

There are some considerations:
* Your boots and socks can still get wet from perspiration. So every time you stop partially open them up to dry when you can. My Kuiu Yukons are better at handing perspiration than my Kryptek Petras.
* Your calf size may or may not allow the use of gaiters.
* Lace hooks are sharp. They can cut you. Not a big deal in most places but can be an issue when it requires a Super Cub. One my best memories of of my grizzly bear/Dall sheep hunt is being able to say that I got "bit by a gaiter" in Alaska. Finger bled for 7 days (note to self: never ever forget Super Glue).

I love my gaiters and will continue to use them. But they are not worn on every hunt or every day of the hunt.

Daniel0307

Lil-Rokslider
Nice comments everyone, agreed with all. I always have them with me and probably wear them 50%of the time depending on weather, moisture, terrain ect.. Absolutely needed..🤔probably not but a lightweight piece of clothing that can make your hunt a lot more comfortable.. seems like a no brained for me. Just my 2cents

Poser

WKR
I've never understood the complaint about the heat with gaiters. Do people's lower legs really overheat in any temps? I've worn them in triple digit heat on the Plains and over heated lower legs never even crossed my mind. So September in the high country chasing elk all over the mountains isn't an issue at all with gaiters, and I wear the Yukons (the tall ones).

Yeah, I feel my feet cooking with increased sweat due to the gaiters trapping some moisture.

Always wear mine. I hunt alot of deasert and open sage flats filled with cheat grass.. the only way to keep it out of my boots is with gaiters!

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wear lighter & shorter gaiters early (Sitka Ascent)- water resistant, not waterproof, but breathe better and lighter- keeps crap out of boots and provides some moisture resistance

later (or if I know it's going to be very soggy) I wear taller ones (Kuiu Yukon)- these are waterproof, more durable fabric and add some warmth as well

even trail running in the summer I wear gaiters to keep crap out of shoes- these are really light ones w/ little to no moisture protection