Gaiters Do you use them all the time?

CJF

WKR
Yep. The only time I don't is if I'm on a trail. Even if its dry they save me from ripping my pants often. Like Poser said they do get hot.

zrodwyo

Lil-Rokslider
I have never actually worn my gaiters and I’m a 4th season elk hunter. No chance I would pack them on a colorado archery hunt.

Wingshooter

Lil-Rokslider
I Wear my Cabelas Gaiters at the start of every morning on a archery hunt. I wear a hiking boot so the extra protection during the heavy dew is awesome. I like most have stated will wear them until I start to warm up then in the pack they go. They allow me to wear a lighter shoe in the early season.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Use them a bunch now, I personally thing they look stupid, when it’s dry they keep sticks, and rocks, and pine needles out of my boots, keep my laces from nagging on anything, when it’s wet a good pair of waterproof ones keep snow from getting in your boots

I love wearing mine. Only time they aren't on is when it's hot and sunny out. Cold or wet days, dew in the morning on brush, they are a great layer to have.

alpinej7

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, however I don’t wear them all the time. I use them in deep snow, or also in wet brush. And not just for moisture but they protect your pants from scuffs and snags. They do get in the way when you need to adjust your boot laces.

Turkeygetpwnd38

WKR
Classified Approved
I wear them in all conditions, but do have a light and heavy pair. They help with everything mentioned and also with ticks and ants crawling up your pants. It’s also easier to douse your gaiters real quick with permethrin than your entire outfit.
I don’t see the draw backs of having at least a light pair on all the time. Heavy is for moisture/snow. I did not know people wore them because they are cool, I think they look stupid.

Elkhntr08

WKR
I wear them when I need them, maybe 50% of the time.

I was at the gas station today and watch three guys jump out of a truck from Wisconsin. One had head-to-toe First Lite, one Sitka, and the other KUIU. All looked brand new, gaiters and boots included. I chuckled to myself, thinking they were defiantly Rokslide members.
And you didn’t introduce yourself?
Need a secret handshake or “gang” sign.

rifletuner

Lil-Rokslider
Since I hunt in southern Australia, this may have zero relevance to the people here. But my son and I use gaiters almost all the time when we are hunting.

They help protect our pants and boots a little against thorns etc in thick bush, help a little to keep leeches out, and give some extra protection against snake bite in the worst case. Aside from really hot weather, I dont see a down side to wearing them.

The ones we wear go from the boot. to the top of the calf:

unnamed-49.jpg

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I use them all the time, but have three different pairs of them- a very lightweight pair I use with trail runners, a lighter pair I use with boots when it's not overly wet (or expected to be wet), tall pair with boots when it's wet (or likely going to get that way)

probably 15-ish years doing this and don't see that changing :D

Gaiters on as soon as the snow hits the ground. Snow melting down my socks from post holing all day once was enough for me to buy a pair to prevent that misery again

Mt Al

WKR
Have some short "stalking" gaiters for warm weather to keep seeds/crap out.

Have lightweight ones I wear whenever it's even marginally cold, keeps the toe-sies way warmer than without. Hate it when I forget to bring them when it's cold! Always with snow.

Seeknelk

WKR
I certainly don't wear them if I don't need them.
If it's snowy or really wet I'll use gaiters and love them.
If it's been warm days and there might just be a little dew I'll not bother, lower leg will dry out quick later on.
I don't care about rips and tears in lower area.
If it's hot and dry, heck no. They get very hot at times and add weight in a critical area.
I would like to try some low, lighter ones sometime.