Elk arrow selection

Maverick1

WKR
Setup is fine. Use a fixed blade broadhead that flies the same as your field points and go hunt. Good luck!

wweaver

FNG
I second a fixed blade. Most importantly you’re well practiced with what you have now. That is what matters. 30.5 draw with 430 grain arrows is plenty. I have used my older Matthews Heli-M with 425 grain arrow , Easton axis, 29.5 draw 70 lb. 100 grain Iron Will heads with the light titanium 10 grain collar. Two pass throughs on big bulls.

stxhunter

FNG
I’m in a similar situation and trying to decide what arrows to go with.

Vap SS @ 475grn (125grn bh) 260fps
Vap SS @ 450grn (100grn bh) 270fps
Vap @ 425grn (125grn bh) 278 fps
Vap @ 400grn (100grn bh) 286 fps

Planning on either the QAD swept or the 1.5/1.75 sevr

Having never been on an elk hunt I’m debating if I want something faster or something with a bit more momentum. Currently leaning to the 425 or 450grn setup.

BKM

FNG
My sample size of one bull says a 420gr arrow with a VPA 3 blade out of a 70lb bow at 27.5 “ draw equals a arrow landing 30 yards behind the elk.

Broadhead choice is probably the most important factor in penetration.

wweaver

FNG
I’m in a similar situation and trying to decide what arrows to go with.

Vap SS @ 475grn (125grn bh) 260fps
Vap SS @ 450grn (100grn bh) 270fps
Vap @ 425grn (125grn bh) 278 fps
Vap @ 400grn (100grn bh) 286 fps

Planning on either the QAD swept or the 1.5/1.75 sevr

Having never been on an elk hunt I’m debating if I want something faster or something with a bit more momentum. Currently leaning to the 425 or 450grn setup.
My vote would be the vap at 425 with a 125 head. Enough speed and the 125 head gets you a bit more weight in the front. 278 keeps your trajectory flat enough. Elk move so much with a few steps the proper ranging can be difficult, so you want enough speed for range errors.

Beendare

WKR
What Broadhead are you planning to use? This is a more important question than changing arrow weight of your setup.

A super sharp fixed head can get a way with a lighter arrow, while trying to push something like a shwacker or some other big mech will need a lot more momentum (probably won’t be enough anyway)

I don’t recommend a big mech or large cutting diameter or a gimmicky over hyped head. Stick with a proven fixed head imo.
👆🏼 Exactly.

Match your head to your arrow and setup.

Lighter arrow, low poundage or Trad setups …or if you just want effortless penetration….use an efficient tapered 2 or 3 blade cut on contact head.

Luked

WKR
What Broadhead are you planning to use? This is a more important question than changing arrow weight of your setup.

A super sharp fixed head can get a way with a lighter arrow, while trying to push something like a shwacker or some other big mech will need a lot more momentum (probably won’t be enough anyway)

I don’t recommend a big mech or large cutting diameter or a gimmicky over hyped head. Stick with a proven fixed head imo.
Was thinking the same thing. BH i think is more important. Don't take my word for it though as I'm still a rook out west. But been tinkering with bows for years.
I changed my arrow setup a bit this year and dropped about 50 grains out of mine. Went from 510 to 460. get a little flatter trajectory but still carries a lot of energy.
Now though I am in the decision time on which BH i will use, the Sevr i have or the Slick Trick Viper I have.
Both shoot great and I like things about both. So its going to be a hard decision to make

I currently shoot a VAP TKO 300 spine with a 100 grain head that total arrow weight around 435 grains. Its a killer on deer of all sizes. I did want something slightly heavier for my elk hunt so I am shooting a 490 grain set up now with a 125 grain fixed bladed broadhead.