What’s Next for Sako Rifles?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
And do you mean drop at comb? Not drop at heel? I don’t really see how you could have a negative comb and drop at heel at the same time. Unless I need to be learned something.

Negative comb (rising towards recoil pad), and negative drop at heel (buttstock above bore centerline).

SDHNTR

WKR
We’re saying the same thing but with different understanding. Drop at heel would mean heel below centerline by my understanding. So having drop at heel and a negative comb would be mutually exclusive.

Attachments

• 27FBEA60-530A-4A40-BEED-05457ECC8B70.jpeg
    27FBEA60-530A-4A40-BEED-05457ECC8B70.jpeg
    386.1 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:

Formidilosus

Super Moderator

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Form, We’re saying the same thing but with different understanding. Drop at heel would mean heel below centerline by my understanding. As shown here.

Correct- what I know it as is “negative” drop at heel means raised instead of lowers. Same/same. Though I guess it should be raised heel?

SDHNTR

WKR
Correct- what I know it as is “negative” drop at heel means raised instead of lowers. Same/same. Though I guess it should be raised heel?
Well I guess 2 negatives (“negative and drop”) make a positive, right? Haha. Agreed, should be called raised or elevated heel.

And yeah that stock I posed above with that hog certainly does have a slightly raised heel and a little negative comb. It’s really awesome to shoot. I know what you mean with that stock design, although the Gunwerks is admittedly more pronounced.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Well I guess 2 negatives (“negative and drop”) make a positive, right? Haha. Agreed, should be called raised or elevated heel.

And yeah that stock I posed above with that hog certainly does have a slightly raised heel and a little negative comb. It’s really awesome to shoot. I know what you mean with that stock design, although the Gunwerks is admittedly more pronounced.

👍🏼

Dobermann

WKR
So having drop at heel and a negative comb would be mutually exclusive.
I could be wrong ... but I'm not sure that's quite right.

Most hunting stocks have a drop at the heel (buttstock is below the centreline of the bore), which is not ideal, but those with negative combs (eg some Steyrs) are nicer to shoot than standard combs, as the recoil doesn't push the comb into your face.

Interestingly, Jeff Cooper was writing about negative combs back in the 1980s for this very reason.

SDHNTR

WKR
The Dominion's Standard weight is 3lbs 4oz with .5″ recoil pad, 3lbs 6oz with 1″ recoil pad.

Is that so crazy?
Yes. But weight penalty aside, the fugly penalty would be a non starter for me.

rondog643

FNG
I heard from a Sako dealer a year ago that Sako wasn't planning to make wood stock rifles going forward.

Stonia

FNG
There was an Instagram post recently that confirmed the 85 being discontinued and it's no longer on the web site.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Riflenut

FNG
Wish Sako would bring back the L461 and L579 and especially the VL63
The L-461/AI are the best little actions ever made IMO. Light, superb handling, incredibly accurate, and a joy to behold. Don't care much for the modern plastic stocked rifles...