What’s Next for Sako Rifles?

Kurts86

WKR
So the Sako 85 is being discontinued and the Sako S20 is now on closeout as well. That leaves us with the Sako 100 for $5,000+ and the Tikka T3x for $1,000. Any guesses on what Sako will do to fill in the product line gap?

I’m hopeful they keep the core Sako 85 action and fix the extractor position/ Ejection pattern, use faster twist rates and adopt new cartridges faster.

ID_Matt

WKR
That S20 action in a more long range type stock like an alpine hunter or EH-1 type would be SWEET. Seems that sako has been pushing that TRG tactical type pretty hard lately. Tikka posted a newer looking rifle on their social media just recently. Looked like a CTR barreled action with an updated stock and adjustable cheek piece.

That S20 action in a more long range type stock like an alpine hunter or EH-1 type would be SWEET. Seems that sako has been pushing that TRG tactical type pretty hard lately. Tikka posted a newer looking rifle on their social media just recently. Looked like a CTR barreled action with an updated stock and adjustable cheek piece.

The UPR, looks pretty nice. I'd like to try one out. If they made one in 6 creed it'd be awful hard to resist.

Stonia

FNG
I asked Sako and Eurooptic both about the S20 closeouts. Sounds like the S20 is getting some kind of 2023 update, but Sako wouldn't provide any further info. Was hoping from something at SHOT, but haven't seen any news. The closeout prices are awfully tempting, but I wish I knew what I might be "giving up" if I don't wait on the update.

ID_Matt

WKR
The UPR, looks pretty nice. I'd like to try one out. If they made one in 6 creed it'd be awful hard to resist.
The actions on the CTR/UPR are about as good as it gets in my opinion. I don't think there is anything better under $3K for factory. Slightly swept bolt handle, pic rail, teflon coated, smooth as can be.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
The actions on the CTR/UPR are about as good as it gets in my opinion. I don't think there is anything better under $3K for factory. Slightly swept bolt handle, pic rail, teflon coated, smooth as can be.
Don't all tikkas have identical actions othere than the finish on them?

ID_Matt

WKR
Don't all tikkas have identical actions othere than the finish on them?
Overall yes, I think. But I mean the CTR comes with an updated bolt handle that I like, pic rail, and teflon coated. Same action I believe but just some nice added features over the standard T3.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Overall yes, I think. But I mean the CTR comes with an updated bolt handle that I like, pic rail, and teflon coated. Same action I believe but just some nice added features over the standard T3.
I’d never heard about the Teflon but you can get those bolt knobs from eBay for just a few bucks if you ever wanted to put one on a regular tikka bolt handle.

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
I wish they would do a UPR with a lite barrel and factory bottom metal/mags rather than the CTR.

ID_Matt

WKR
I’d never heard about the Teflon but you can get those bolt knobs from eBay for just a few bucks if you ever wanted to put one on a regular tikka bolt handle.
Oh I know. $50 bolt handle and a $60 rail. I have always used sterk bolt handles on my tikka's. I guess I am not arguing cost efficiency of buying a standard T3 and adding options vs a CTR. I just mean out of the box, without touching anything, I think the CTR is one of the best on the market. Sure, it is a few hundred dollars more than the T3 but does come with some added options that make the price closer - bolt upgrades, threaded barrel, DBM. All depends on your end goal.

Nhenry

Lil-Rokslider
I’m hopeful they keep the core Sako 85 action and fix the extractor position/ Ejection pattern, use faster twist rates and adopt new cartridges faster.
I heard they were keeping the 85 as their mid-class from TFB.tv's interview with them about the 100.

As for the faster twist rates, they don't go by SAAMI. They use CIP which hasn't updated their twists for some of the cartridges they use, like 30-06 and 308. That's also why they're not planning on releasing a 7 PRC for a while. It's not verified with CIP yet.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Oh I know. $50 bolt handle and a $60 rail. I have always used sterk bolt handles on my tikka's. I guess I am not arguing cost efficiency of buying a standard T3 and adding options vs a CTR. I just mean out of the box, without touching anything, I think the CTR is one of the best on the market. Sure, it is a few hundred dollars more than the T3 but does come with some added options that make the price closer - bolt upgrades, threaded barrel, DBM. All depends on your end goal.
I guess I think of the rail as a down grade, I like those sportsmatch rings that mount directly to the tikka receiver.

wildcat33

WKR
Where did you hear the 85 is being discontinued? And if that is true, I cant wait for Eurooptic to sell them at tikka prices....

Can a brother get better scope ring mounting options on their Sako's please. Been dealing with the same ole outdated POS dovetail base for how many years now? NO ONE CARES FOR IT!!

Stonia

FNG
I asked Sako and Eurooptic both about the S20 closeouts. Sounds like the S20 is getting some kind of 2023 update, but Sako wouldn't provide any further info. Was hoping from something at SHOT, but haven't seen any news. The closeout prices are awfully tempting, but I wish I knew what I might be "giving up" if I don't wait on the update.

Sako International just told me via Instagram that any new S20 info would come at the Western Big Game Expo, fwiw. Looks like that's next week maybe?

Hopefully they continue to offer a line that has some traditional aesthetics other than the 100, rather than the god awful looking camo/brake/chassis. I've always wanted an 85 or 75 in beautiful walnut but haven't had the money for it yet