What’s Next for Sako Rifles?

4th_point

WKR
Was disappointed to see the 7mm's twist rate is still at 9.5 with the exception of the 28 nosler, which is 9.
+1

I was cautiously optimistic that Sako would use faster twist rates but that doesn't seem to be a priority for them.

Has anyone found any pictures of the bottom of the 90 action? I'd like to see how they've done up the recoil lug.

Kimmo H

FNG
The new 90 will fit on sako 85 stocks, so the recoil lug setup is the same as the 85. Also uses the same magazines.

Iman

FNG
Looks like model 85 upgrade. Dropped the “controlled feeding” bolt design, that 85 never actually was. Fixed, hopefully, ejection angle. New trigger. Picatinny on some. Otherwise mainly same.

Nomosendero

Lil-Rokslider
The new rifles are nice but I guess I should get one of those good S20 deals. The S20 is heavier but the flush cups and the proper sling makes up for the extra weight in my experience.
Now I see the new Models and move on.

OP
K

Kurts86

WKR
After a few days of digging around I’m pretty happy with the Sako 85 -> 90 updates on paper.

The biggest problem with the Sako 85 were the long action ejection problems and I hope the dual plunger update helps that.

Integral Pic rails is definitely an improvement over optilock rings and is a quality of life improvement.

I hop they add a 7mm PRC and 300 PRC chambering down the road but Sako tends to be 4 years behind the US market on cartridge adoption.

I’m glad to see a carbon barrel option just as an acknowledgment they see where the market is going. I’m somewhat indifferent to the option personally but it shows progress on their product development.

I wish there were more modern aftermarket stocks and chassis options for the Sako rifles but I don’t see that changing.

After a few days of digging around I’m pretty happy with the Sako 85 -> 90 updates on paper.

The biggest problem with the Sako 85 were the long action ejection problems and I hope the dual plunger update helps that.

Integral Pic rails is definitely an improvement over optilock rings and is a quality of life improvement.

I hop they add a 7mm PRC and 300 PRC chambering down the road but Sako tends to be 4 years behind the US market on cartridge adoption.

I’m glad to see a carbon barrel option just as an acknowledgment they see where the market is going. I’m somewhat indifferent to the option personally but it shows progress on their product development.

I wish there were more modern aftermarket stocks and chassis options for the Sako rifles but I don’t see that changing.
I can honestly say I've never had a problem with ejection issues with my long action 85. I have definitely heard that plenty of others have though. I know it's a real thing.
Integrated pic rail = Home run.
Regarding the PRC's. Definitely would be nice, only and I mean only if they can also get the twist rates right! Or at least have options to have faster twist rates.

DOESLAYER

Lil-Rokslider
Wish that Tikka, Sako or Sauer would make a rifle in 6mm Creed.
the waypoint looks very legit, thinking of trading my S20+ cash for a 6mm.

Something about the sexiness of a High BC bullets traveling super fast...

What's next? More plastic and less wood........ lower quality finish (polish), and the list goes on.

The days of nice wood and high polished Sako rifles are over. That ship has sailed off into the sunset.

EJ

I’m glad I jumped on the S20 boat, but do wish the 7mm had a faster twist. Since leaving Alaska, the biggest thing I’ll have a chance to take is Elk here in KY, but more likely it will be a paper puncher with how rare tags are.

Rd7fox

FNG
I was about to go with a Tikka Lite, but I'm biting the bullet and not looking back. Sako 90 it is.
Down the road I don't want to be saying, wish I had bought the 90 when I could.
Vixen, AI, and 85 have been my go to rifles so I'm staying with what I know and trust.

XFrog

FNG
I have a 5 year old Carbon wolf that was my 400yrd deer rifle. I prefer the ugly S20 stock. The S20 was bought to punch paper at distance and try out the 6.5PRC. Love it. Perfect actions, barrels don't copper at all, shoots every bullet Ive tried in a clover. Ended up getting 2 more at Euro when they got so cheap. 6.5s for my my kids. Sold the sigs that wouldn't group... My daughter hates the cross I got her and loves the S20 with thumbhole. I prefer the precision stock. Its very similar to the Alpine Hunter with a better feeling grip angle IMHO. This year the only Rifles I took in the field were Sako. Each to his own but they fit me better than anything I've ever shot. Id buy another if they made a 16" 308 in 1:10.