What’s Next for Sako Rifles?

Lando

WKR
Fed great, super slick action, and I'll mention it again.....LOVE the thumbhole stock
Love my PRC S20 Hunter too, shoots everything at .5 moa or below, love the thumbhole stock. Just bought the 6.5 CM on closeout for my boys to use, couldn't pass it up at $1099. Wish they made it in 6 CM and 7 PRC.

SDHNTR

WKR
Yes, they made beautiful rifles that people loved to talk about and not buy. Unfortunately most people that are actually buying rifles want pistol grips, metal chassis, and carbon barrels. Though the S20 isn’t in this category, most want rifles to look at- not shoot, but the look is different than steel and wood.
I get that. Just when I personally hear Sako, I picture beautiful, classy rifles. My how times have changed.

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, they made beautiful rifles that people loved to talk about and not buy. Unfortunately most people that are actually buying rifles want pistol grips, metal chassis, and carbon barrels. Though the S20 isn’t in this category, most want rifles to look at- not shoot, but the look is different than steel and wood.
Do you see a quality / price point advantage for purchasing if you were looking for a caliber that the S20 was chambered in?

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Let’s say I was looking in the $ 1500 price range for a hunting rifle. Where would the S20 rank in your top five??

Do you want a stock such as the S20? It’s kind of a specific type of rifle. Functionally they are very solid.

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Do you want a stock such as the S20? It’s kind of a specific type of rifle. Functionally they are very solid.
Functional is always my greatest concern. Hunting would be the application in which the rifle would be utilized. The stock is a more difficult call as I really don’t have any options to get it in my hands prior to purchase in AK…
Appreciate the insight 👍

Dobermann

WKR
I get that. Just when I personally hear Sako, I picture beautiful, classy rifles. My how times have changed.
They still have some 'classy' options.

What interests me is that they also have a few models with adjustable cheek pieces and buttpads ... we need more of that, done well.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Functional is always my greatest concern. Hunting would be the application in which the rifle would be utilized. The stock is a more difficult call as I really don’t have any options to get it in my hands prior to purchase in AK…
Appreciate the insight 👍

What is the use- general hunting? And what actual ranges?

Mangata

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, general hunting, ungulates primarily, would like to shoot more with a factory round that is more readily available.
I don’t have a 6.5, which would fit in that category.
Realistic range to 500 yds.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Yes, general hunting, ungulates primarily, would like to shoot more with a factory round that is more readily available.
I don’t have a 6.5, which would fit in that category.
Realistic range to 500 yds.

The S20 is a very well designed rifle, but is not necessary for your use and will be heavier. A straight Tikka T3x Lite stainless in 6.5cm would probably suit your use better.

Alder_

Lil-Rokslider
Formidable Form - do you receive a commission from Tikka? Hornady? SWFA? Sierra or Sportsmatch? (Pretty sure you don’t it’s mostly a joke)
But, how do you think you have impacted their sales in the last couple of years from all of the info you’ve shared on Rok?

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
It would be cool if they started making a stainless 375 again with something other than that optilok scope mount setup.

Stonia

FNG
I personally think the S100 looks like a beautiful rifle, but will never be able to swallow the price tag, nor do I need the switch barrel capability. I'd love to own one, but I don't think I'm their target demographic. I sure hope the 85 is hanging around.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Does anyone k ow exactly what is happening to the 85? It's still on their website. Are they just discontinuing export to the US?

Stonia

FNG
No idea here, other than noticing they've scaled way back on listed calibers and models.

Sent from my SM-S908U1 using Tapatalk

Took a Sako S20 6.5 PRC out to the range today for it's maiden voyage. Topped it with a new to me Arken EPL 6-24x50. After boresighting the old fashioned way, the first 5 shot group with Norma 143g target load went into a nifty .412 group. A little surprised, I tried again and this time 5 shots went into .344, literally one ragged hole. A 3 shot group with Hornady 143gr ELDX factory loads soared to .655, followed by a 3 shot group of 147 ELDM factory loads at .781. The thumbhole stock is superb.

Sounds like junk.