What's in your "Kill Kit"?

xcutter

WKR
I keep hearing people say they put certain items in there "Kill Kit". Example being latex gloves, game bags, etc...

What do you put in yours and why? Why being for items that might not be obvious to newbs like myself.

I appreciate all the info that everyone provides.

The paracord is great and serves as an extra hand when you are processing an elk. Holding the legs open is one thing it helps with. Elk are big and if you haven't been around one on the ground, it's eye opening. I have always hunted by myself and I can still remember walking up on my first elk years ago. I used poly cord at the time (paracord now) because I read it somewhere. Just think about trying to roll over and maneuver a dead cow or a horse. Through some antlers in there as well. Then, the animal may be wedged against a tree or died in some blowdowns. It can get interesting. Any rope or cord you have will make it easier and safer.

Once you've got the animal processed, the cord can be used for extra lashing. In addition you can use the cord along with a stick or a trekking pole to help make the antlers easier to secure to your pack.

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
Tag & License
Outdoor Edge knife with 6 blades
2 original Kifaru meat bags
2 Alaskan game bags (Will get more at the truck for the next load.)
50ft of reflective paracord
2oz granular citric acid with small spray bottle

Manosteel

WKR
Trophy Care:
Kill Kit
• Custom Medium PullOut = 0.5
• Havalon Piranta-Edge knife = 1.5
6 Piranta-Edge replacement blades = 0.6
• 6 T.A.G. BOMB Game Bags = 9.3
• Silnylon Meat Baggie = 1.7
• Roll of marking ribbon = 1.4
• 26ft section of orange mil spec 550 cord = 2.3
• Citric acid spray kit= 2.9
• 3 sets of latex gloves = 1
• Emergency Blanket = 1.7
Sub-total weight 22.9

Emergency Blanket - lay it down and put meat on it as I debone, keeps meat clean
Citric acid spray kit -preserving the quality of wild game meat - read Larry Bartlett's reasons why - I take moose and elk every year. it works for me.
I also use a Contract quality garbage bag if I have to keep meat cool in a creek.

Last edited:

The John

Lil-Rokslider
I have similar to the above but with a couple extras:
-Zip ties (a couple) for securing tag to critter.
-I have a set of longer arm length gloves when elk hunting (keeps things cleaner when gutting).
-chem light (to mark dead critter location, its small (less than an oz) but puts out a lot of light).

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
Getting some good responses. This is all good stuff.

Archerm what is the "2oz granular citric acid with small spray bottle" used for? Preservative for the meat?

OP
X

xcutter

WKR
Is a hand saw something I want in my kill kit? No one has listed that. I assume everyone is deboning there meat? This is what I plan to do when I get my first elk on the ground.

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
After you hang or de-bone your meat and lay it out you mix 1oz of the citric acid with one pint of water. You then you spray the meat with with the mix. The spray keeps bacteria from forming, speeds up the meat getting a skin on it, and keeps the bug off. Good stuff been using it for years. 2ozs of granular citric acid and two pints of water will do one bull elk.
You don't need a saw unless you are sawing the cap off the scull. Dressing the Elk only requires a knife.

Getting some good responses. This is all good stuff.

Archerm what is the "2oz granular citric acid with small spray bottle" used for? Preservative for the meat?

colonel00

WKR
After you hang or de-bone your meat and lay it out you mix 1oz of the citric acid with one pint of water. You then you spray the meat with with the mix. The spray keeps bacteria from forming, speeds up the meat getting a skin on it, and keeps the bug off. Good stuff been using it for years. 2ozs of granular citric acid and two pints of water will do one bull elk.
You don't need a saw unless you are sawing the cap off the scull. Dressing the Elk only requires a knife.

Just curious, are you mixing the whole 2 pint concoction at once? If so, in what and what is your spray bottle like? I picked up a cheapo spray bottle from Walmart (laundry section) for like $1. Usually I ditch the bottle it came with and just use a standard 16.9oz water bottle that I usually have collapsed somewhere.

rbljack

WKR
Ive been putting one together myself:
Contents....Bomb bag set, Havalon knife with extra blades, Paracord, Flagging tape, about a 6 foot section of Electrical tape on a small piece of credit card, a few small tie straps, and a few pieces of reflective sticker material...all stored in the Bomb bag set "outer mesh bag"
I may swap out the paracord for some 1.8 mm reflective cord, and then I'll just keep the paracord in another part of my bag as part of my other supplies. The reflective cord would be enough to tie the game bags closed, and be reflective at night when trying to locate them. I also need to add a few contractor garbage bags to the list, for dunking in the creek as a storage area for the meat when needed in warmer weather. I used to carry the latex gloves, and never took the time to put them on. Probably should....and always say that I will the next time I clean an animal, and then don't...so OUT they came.

The reason for the electrical tape: serves two purposes...I have used it for attaching tags. Works great and holds secure, and the second purpose it that's its right there WHEN I cut myself a finger and don't have time to pull out the regular first aid kit stuff.

Archerm

Lil-Rokslider
Brad no I only carry a small one pint bottle with 1oz dry citric acid already in the bottle and 1oz in a small poly-bag. I think my wife got the 1pt spray bottle in a haircare section of some store.
Just curious, are you mixing the whole 2 pint concoction at once? If so, in what and what is your spray bottle like? I picked up a cheapo spray bottle from Walmart (laundry section) for like $1. Usually I ditch the bottle it came with and just use a standard 16.9oz water bottle that I usually have collapsed somewhere.

jmez

WKR
I think a small hand saw is a good idea. A couple years ago buddy shot a cow and she died wedged down between a couple dead trees and a live one. All four legs folded up underneath her. The two of us got her moved and it was difficult. Had I been by myself I don't think I could have got her out of there. The dead trees were small 8-10, inches in diameter. A hand saw would have made that process a lot easier, simply cut the dead trees out of the way.

I'm going to get one. As of now:

Bomb bags
Tag
Couple zip ties
Couple qt ziplock bags
25ft paracord
Havalon and extra blades

The ziplocks, I bone out the elk so leave evidence of sex attached to piece of meat. Ziptie the ziplock over the evidence of sex so it isn't on the meat. I also place a zip tie the tag to the bag with evidence of sex so I don't have to go looking for it if I get checked.

ridgefire

WKR
Tag
2 caribou game bags
1 kifaru quarter and meat bag
20' or so of mule tape
Havalon with a few extra blades
Small fixed blade knife
2 pairs of latex gloves

I see no need for a saw. You can break a elk down pretty easily with just a knife. I like the small fixed blade for popping the skull from the neck at top vertebrae and also the knee joints. I break to many blades on the Havalon doing it with it. I use the gutless method and use the hide to set quarters on if deboning.

colonel00

WKR
Brad no I only carry a small one pint bottle with 1oz dry citric acid already in the bottle and 1oz in a small poly-bag. I think my wife got the 1pt spray bottle in a haircare section of some store.

Gotcha. Here is what I have now that I have a chance to post a photo. It's the Mainstays ironing spray bottle. As you an see, it looks almost exactly like a regular bottled water bottle. So, I just carry the sprayer in my kill kit when needed. I almost always have one of the Nestle water bottles with me. Those things are extremely thin and light and are great for mixing a flavored drink mix in or whatever. They also crumple up to almost nothing unlike the heavier bottle that domes with this sprayer.

Also, if anyone is curious, you can find citric acid at your local Wally world or other store as it is usually carried with the canning supplies.

$_35.JPG

A saw is useful for cutting deadfall and brush out of the way and for making a good strong meatpole. Am I the only one who needs one to cut antlers off the skull? Occasionally I'll pack the whole skull out but less weight is better.

I never elk hunt without a saw.