What's in your "Kill Kit"?

The John

Lil-Rokslider
If you are going to get/use a saw, go for a Wyoming saw. They are AWESOME and that's an understatement. They pack down really small, and dont weigh much (but they do weigh some..). I keep one in the truck/camp when hunting just in case.

husky390

WKR
I use the Rokslide kill kit but add several pairs of the black mechanics latex gloves. I will usually change into a different pair after skinning the hide away so I don't have to worry about contaminating meat with hair. It's heavy, but I use the Raptor Razor for skinning and cutting meat. Paracord is a must, trying to quarter an elk solo is not easy.

IChaseCoues

Lil-Rokslider
Mine has:
scalpel handle
5 autopsy blades
Light D2 fixed blade knife
tailor tape measure
pen
paper
3 bomb bags + more if elk hunting
meat baggie
small roll electrical tape----for taping muzzle, holding tag to horn, and hopefully not taping my skin closed after a cut but it does the job!
30 ft paracord

Wow that sounds like a lot but its quite small and weighed about a pound last time I weighed it.

I might have a lightweight saw in the pack depending on the hunt. Its lighter than carrying a skull attached to a set of antlers....and more useful!

First aid kit is separate.

yak

Lil-Rokslider
I carry much of the same mentioned above. Here is a video I made this winter:

[video=youtube;rx_p-80JDvs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rx_p-80JDvs[/video]

A saw is useful for cutting deadfall and brush out of the way and for making a good strong meatpole. Am I the only one who needs one to cut antlers off the skull? Occasionally I'll pack the whole skull out but less weight is better.

I never elk hunt without a saw.

Ditto... skull caps, brisket split, firewood... lots of uses for small wight penalty

jmez

WKR
If you are going to get/use a saw, go for a Wyoming saw. They are AWESOME and that's an understatement. They pack down really small, and dont weigh much (but they do weigh some..). I keep one in the truck/camp when hunting just in case.

Do you have the 11 or 18 inch blade model? Would think the longer one would be better for skull caps.

I just got the Havalon Baracuta with replaceable saw and knife blades. The saw blades are sort of short but it looks like a lightweight solution. I know that many like the Baracuta knife but does anyone have experience with the bone saw.

tttoadman

WKR
please post how long it takes to cut off a skull plate with a 4 in blade. i am curious.

I would guess it would take longer than just skinning and removing the top of the head using a regular Edge knife. The top of the head is pretty light if you skin it off and dump out the brain basket. I quit carrying saws a few years ago.

The John

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have the 11 or 18 inch blade model? Would think the longer one would be better for skull caps.

I have the 11, but i haven't used it to saw off the skull cap. Its crazy quick at cutting off legs and for misc work around camp when needed.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Another vote for the small Wyoming saw....when you get an elk by yourself and if he is a big bull, they often don't end up on a nice table top...the saw comes in handy for as noted clearing the surrounding area, cutting a meatpole, skull cap and a multitude of other things that without a saw make your live a lot more difficult.....not a necessity but is always in my pack.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I have never had a bull end up in a good place........ever. One year the bull was stuck in a quagmire of blowdowns. I had to just start cutting meat off him in order to lighten the weight to even think about moving him. When I finally got done, the carcass was still wrapped around that quagmire. The WY saw is a great tool. You certainly don't need the big one, but if you want to carry the extra weight it wouldn't hurt either. On my bull 3 years ago, the 11" was borderline too small trying to keep a straight cut on the skull cap.

I just got the Havalon Baracuta with replaceable saw and knife blades. The saw blades are sort of short but it looks like a lightweight solution. I know that many like the Baracuta knife but does anyone have experience with the bone saw.

I used the Havalon bone saw last year and it worked really well for opening up a channel in the hips on my cow last year. It was a buddy's knife and I made sure I got one for this year.