What would you (really) do?

What do you really do?

• Stop hunting and help him locate, dress and pack his elk out

Votes: 52 35.9%
  • Wish him luck & continue your hunt (maybe share a local horsepacker's phone number)

Votes: 77 53.1%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 20 13.8%

• Total voters
I rarely ever see anyone while I am hunting, or even cut their tracks. I remember a number of years ago there were some gents killed a little bull a reasomable distance from the road. I don't remember how I got involved, but I offered to help them. There way was labor intensive while mine was quick and easy with horses. I rode in hoisted the elk up, skinned and quartered it, wrapped it in sheets, loaded it and delivered to their truck in less than an hour. They were amazed with the entire procedure.

Years later I ran into them in town and they shared that that day changed their life. One of them had a wife that had horses but he was not a participant. By me showing them what they needed and how to use the stock, his hunting turned into a family project. They expanded their hunting using what they already had and had dramatically increased their success.

How many yard ponies spend their falls on pasture rather than in the woods because it's the wife's horse/ horses ? Tools aren't tools until you learn how to use them.

Mojave

WKR
I'm not going to stop hunting. Now, if he were in trouble (health, injury), I would absolutely help.
This!

A friend of mine is the guy that would ask someone he didn’t know tyo help him and expect they do.

He killed a cow elk in Wyoming then sat there crying until someone helped him. Elk are big they mess with your emotions when you kill one.

Dan-o

FNG
I'm not sure I understand. If the guy is out hunting, he should have a plan that does not involve relying on a random encounter with a stranger. If he said, I just got too excited and screwed up, I would be more inclined to help. Otherwise, his hunt, his plan, his animal.
X2

You are nearing the end of your elk hunt...the tag is in your pocket. You are completely focused, every day has been a true pursuit with eyes on decent bulls regularly. You're nearing the end of long hike to get downwind of a nice bull when you see the herd running off. 200 yards later find a lone bow hunter holding a red dripping arrow who is waiting to trail blood. He's pumped, looks exhausted and has the correct pack for hauling his kill but that's a 3 mile trek to the trailhead. It's 11am.

I don't have to read any of the replies. I'm all in. Let's find that bull and get him cut up and packed out! I've ended many a day early to help a complete stranger with the task of extricating big game.

OP
Where's Bruce?
There is no lonelier feeling then holding the back leg of a freshly killed bull elk in one hand and a tiny Havalon knife in the other as darkness falls. If you’ve been there you know how much a helping hand is worth.
No shit. So if you track for an hour and then dress, you should be able to start hauling quarters by 1pm. Trek 3 miles, put the elk on ice, wolf down a snack and some water, back to the carcass by 4pm...should be able to beat sundown to the truck with the rest. I can think of worse ways to spend an afternoon.

what-size-cooler-quartered-out-processed-elk-1024x475.jpg

There is no lonelier feeling then holding the back leg of a freshly killed bull elk in one hand and a tiny Havalon knife in the other as darkness falls. If you’ve been there you know how much a helping hand is worth.
There been a few times I’ve sang “Don’t let the sun go down on me “ while I was working an elk up.

Mojave

WKR
I was in the Gila in 2019 with a bull tag in 16D. I conciously decided I was done hunting at 1pm, and I'd head back to the truck. I didn't kill out but I only hunt out in the morning on the trail. I'll hunt my way back, but I am not starting an elk alone at 4 or 5 pm.

I spent my evenings sitting water 200 yards from my truck. Killing one on a trail at in the late afternoon is not a thing I am interested in.