What would you do?

chaza402

FNG
So I’m a res in CO. I’ve got a good bit of pts built up. Let’s just keep it at well over a decade of applying to stay vague.
I’m torn between applying for a top of the world archery hunt with lower success rates or a hunt that has better success( both with draws and with higher success rates).
With the way the world is going, I figure this will be my only sheep tag (I’m a public servant) unless I get super lucky after I draw this one.
The conundrum is, should I do the epic hunt at the top of the world or just try and get a ram.
I’ve been archery hunting for over 25 yrs, I chase everything I can with a bow. I’m not an ace with a bow but i have been fortunate enough to keep my wits about me for a few amazing animals. This has taught me a great deal of patience, persistence, physical/mental devotion and I am the kind of person who wants a mature animal, even if I have to serve myself a hearty multi tag stew at the end of the year!

I know very little about sheep, is it stupid to think I should try with a bow? I will more than likely burn my 3+ weeks of vacation on this endeavor, I’ll also have my wife’s blessing so this will be my devoted to hunt for the year.

I live for the experience, I thrive on the challenge, and I don’t ever want the season to end. Consider this my once in a lifetime tag, which it more than likely is- how would you play it.

mod7rem

FNG
It kind of sounds like you answered your own question. I’m reading that you value the challenge of bow hunting more than the kill.
Getting animals can be good, but getting them the way you dream of getting them is so much better.

Only you are you. I wish you luck deciding what is the most important point for you. Hope you get the tag and ultimately a Ram whatever way you go. Personally I have hunted sheep with a draw tag with my bow 3 times and no sheep so far. This fall it is sheep or bust for me. Have a earlier rifle hunt and a later bow hunt planned. It was'nt until I started on Rokslide that I realized how fortunate I am to live in Alberta where I can hunt sheep every year. If we shoot a Ram we then have to wait a year to buy another tag. I have a burning desire to get it done with my bow. If I shoot one with my rifle it will be archery only from then on.

Get a tag and go hunt. Tomorrow is not guaranteed! I’d bowhunt but you aren’t me.

No such thing as a failed hunt if you learn about sheep and have fun. And sheep are a great animal to stalk.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I was born and raised in CO and started rifle hunting in 1980. But before I picked up a bow I had ZERO interest in getting a rifle sheep, moose, or goat tag so never applied even for points. Then after a couple years of bowhunting I thought it would be cool to hunt them with an archery tag so started applying about 15 years ago. Got my moose and sheep three years ago, and now waiting for a goat tag. I would absolutely apply for whatever archery sheep tag that you want, but also knowing that draw odds are very low regardless what tag you apply for. Surprisingly, I think every bowhunter that I personally know that has drawn sheep......has taken one on their hunt.

Given Colorado's system, you really can't expect to draw any given year. Pick one and throw your name in the ring again next year. If you have just been building points without applying, you have been shorting yourself on the opportunity.

OP
chaza402

chaza402

FNG
After I got done posting this I pretty much made my mind up.
Odds in the unit I have in mind are very low. I will be in the very top tier of applicants if all things stay relatively consistent.
Do you sheep folks have any good tips for a newb going at it with limited range?
There’s so much info out there for all the other Western species, I wish hey would come out with a sheep hunting guide for beginners- hell I bet 80% of applicants have never even seen a sheep!

I know scouting is one of the best things to do, I’m heading up to shoot the TAC in a couple of months and am planning to pack in a couple of nights into the area where a fair amount of rams have been harvested throughout the years.

I live in sheep country- theres an estimated 70+ sheep that are in our canyon. I’ve been on two sheep counts with the department. Those have taken place in December so I am not too familiar with the habits in August.
I’m familiar with sheep and their country but I’ve never actually targeted them.

What other things can you successful tag holders encountered that might make the difference filling a tag? What are some of the things you wish you had done differently if you could go back?

OP
chaza402

chaza402

FNG
I’m the young dude in the pic (circa 2016) - I just turned 40 this year, I trail run, do MTN Tough work outs, and live at 7500’. The physical part of this is where I will be the most prepared. As well as having an effective range of 80 yds with my well tuned bow.

My name has been in the hat for sheep tags since 2012- never been fortunate enough though. I know there’s a chance I’ll never draw but since it’s archery I feel I have a better shot at pulling a tag in the next 5+ yrs.
I’m not naive, I study the stats as much as any other person does who truly wants a chance to chase one of these.

I would spend as much time in that zone as you can to learn habits of the sheep in that area year over year so you have a base of knowledge before you get drawn.

You can go have adventure without a tag, granted, you might not have the same drive, but nothing stopping you from doing trips like Warden does just for the fun of it.

If I'm spending years on a tag, my priority is to use that tag, not use it as a pass for a backpacking/exploring trip.

But that's me, you can formulate your own decisions.

khavok

FNG
So I’m a res in CO. I’ve got a good bit of pts built up. Let’s just keep it at well over a decade of applying to stay vague.
I’m torn between applying for a top of the world archery hunt with lower success rates or a hunt that has better success( both with draws and with higher success rates).
With the way the world is going, I figure this will be my only sheep tag (I’m a public servant) unless I get super lucky after I draw this one.
The conundrum is, should I do the epic hunt at the top of the world or just try and get a ram.
I’ve been archery hunting for over 25 yrs, I chase everything I can with a bow. I’m not an ace with a bow but i have been fortunate enough to keep my wits about me for a few amazing animals. This has taught me a great deal of patience, persistence, physical/mental devotion and I am the kind of person who wants a mature animal, even if I have to serve myself a hearty multi tag stew at the end of the year!

I know very little about sheep, is it stupid to think I should try with a bow? I will more than likely burn my 3+ weeks of vacation on this endeavor, I’ll also have my wife’s blessing so this will be my devoted to hunt for the year.

I live for the experience, I thrive on the challenge, and I don’t ever want the season to end. Consider this my once in a lifetime tag, which it more than likely is- how would you play it.
From what you wrote, go to the top of the world. If that challenge and reward are your main goal, I think it would be your best bet. I've hunted those mountains in CO and have had amazing experiences at 13k feet.