What would you (really) do?

What do you really do?

• Stop hunting and help him locate, dress and pack his elk out

Votes: 52 35.9%
  • Wish him luck & continue your hunt (maybe share a local horsepacker's phone number)

Votes: 77 53.1%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 20 13.8%

• Total voters
You are nearing the end of your elk hunt...the tag is in your pocket. You are completely focused, every day has been a true pursuit with eyes on decent bulls regularly. You're nearing the end of long hike to get downwind of a nice bull when you see the herd running off. 200 yards later find a lone bow hunter holding a red dripping arrow who is waiting to trail blood. He's pumped, looks exhausted and has the correct pack for hauling his kill but that's a 3 mile trek to the trailhead. It's 11am.

Stop and talk to him. Listen as he tells me he has 10 buddies on their way to help.

On a more serious note, it may depend on where and how many elk were in the area. The elk may not stop for miles, and it may be pointless to try to relocate them on foot alone.

He, may want to hump it all himself, weather permitting. May call a packer he knows, or the number he provides ...

Probably just have a chat and feel out his situation. If he's a good guy and asks for help, I'd do it. If he's a good guy and doesn't ask, and I'm at the trailhead when he comes out I might offer it up if he's got that look like holy crap I can't do this alone.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk

Ask him if he needs help. I’ve helped guys on the hill and have been helped myself. It’s 11 o’clock, elk are blown out of that drainage what else are you going to do for the rest of the day? If he doesn’t want help, that’s fine too. Hell, you never know, that might turn in to a hunting partner for life.

Depends on how the conversation goes. Maybe swap Inreach info, if he recovers and desperately needs help, maybe work something else out such as offer to shuttle a load somewhere on the trail for you to pack back to the parking area/trailhead when you are done hunting for the day. Maybe nothing if he says he’s got it handled or is a jackass.

If the guy's not a dick (insert Bad Santa here) and would appreciate help...I would feel almost obligated to help, and offer rather than wait for a request. The big factors here (at least for me) being:

1. Heat of day, 2 can break down a bull much quicker than one.
2. Security...a benefit if you are in bear country.
3. Karma...can't have too much good karma, might get a shot at a 400 tomorrow for being a good guy today.
4. Possible new hunting buddy who is successful for a reason. Good partners are better than gold.
5. Murphy's Law seems to strike at the worst time and if the guy were to twist his ankle with a 100lbs on his back...he may end up stuck, his meat spoiled and run outta water. Two guys can pack out a big bull in two trips (9 miles total) but one making 4 trips is 21 miles which is a lot of miles carrying a heavy load.
6. If I eat my tag, I have a good excuse for it. :)

My answers are based on being 40 younger, now I don’t get too far out.

How much time is left of my hunt, just that afternoon and the next morning, not likely without some extenuating circumstances, age, etc. Given that the BOAL I was after was in the departing herd and it’s midday today this location is likely shot anyway play into it too. Now, do I follow the herd for another boal or still hunt/scout back to the trailhead looking for other animals. If I’ve got a few more days possibly, depends. Definitely on his demeanor and attitude, experience and whether he wants help or has help coming. If he’s an arse definitely not.

Coming out of a small drainage one morning about 7am, I stumbled onto a guy tracking blood. He was focused, yet a bit flustered and I think I startled him. He gave me the play by play and I offered to help. We grid searched for 3 hours with no luck. He was thankful, invited me to his camp for dinner and a beer. I declined, wished him luck and we parted ways.

I guess I never really thought about it until I read this thread. Guess I just wanted to help.

Back