What would you do?

I agree on the souring. I shot a bull in the 80s. By the time I unraveled the tracks it was 8 pm and I had three miles to get out with 18" of snow. I came back in at 8 the next morning and found him. In gutting him, the pounch had already started to dissolve out. I got him quartered and packed out and the meat core was still warm and souring.

I got him home, washed everything and started stripping it out. It had soured the first 2" on the bone and along the veins. I saved 95% but every once in a while you would encounter a bite that was soured.

Another time I shot one early in the season, got it gutted, then cut some poles and attached them to trees. I pulled the elk up on the poles to get it off the ground till I could get back with my horses.

In 8 hrs the meat soured where the elk was in contact with the poles. Again a very delicate trim job and I minimized my losses.

Where I hunt now I face the reverse. There is a high risk in most cases that if I leave it overnight that it will be frozen solid by the time I return. I have to carefully prepare them for when I return.

As for the bear- shoot them everytime you see one just like the early years.