What would you (really) do?

What do you really do?

• Stop hunting and help him locate, dress and pack his elk out

Votes: 52 35.9%
  • Wish him luck & continue your hunt (maybe share a local horsepacker's phone number)

Votes: 77 53.1%
  • Other (explain)

Votes: 20 13.8%

• Total voters

fwafwow

WKR
You misread the OP. In 200 yards you come across the hunter who just found his arrow...clearly a good pass-thru shot. The tracking has not begun.
Ok. So the bull wasn’t 200 yards away. Still sounds like I was about to shoot that bull and this hypothetical guy just shot him. The post was meant to be a joke.

mlgc20

WKR
My attitude has evolved over the years. I just love being in the woods. And I love all parts of the hunt. I don’t have to be the one to pull the trigger. I still love tracking, finding, processing, packing, etc. Even if it’s on someone else’s animal. I just love the whole problem solving piece of being in the woods.

Many years ago, I was in bed when I lived in Oregon. I got a call in the middle of the night from a buddy that shot a bull at dusk and didn't find him until after midnight. He asked for help. I got dressed and headed into the mountains to help him out. We didn’t get home until noon. We were working the whole time. It’s still one of the most fun “hunts” I’ve ever been on. And I never even brought my weapon into the field. I get that the proposed scenario is for a stranger and not a friend. But, I think my answer would still be to help. Assuming he wanted the help.

Like other replies, I would stop and chat, and hear his plan… if his plan is what my plan always is, I would absolutely offer to help, and probably just take one heavy load when it’s broke down, and let him handle the rest, and I’ll be hunting again in the afternoon… if I don’t care for him, a simple good job, and I’m moving along unless asked for help.

KBC

WKR
Always willing to help someone who’s nice no matter the situation, hunting or something else in life. I’ll even give someone a bit of a pass for being a douche if it’s something they are upset about. They’ll usually calm down and be cool.
Helping others is just the right thing to do.

Marbles

WK Donkey
Classified Approved
I'm not sure I understand. If the guy is out hunting, he should have a plan that does not involve relying on a random encounter with a stranger. If he said, I just got too excited and screwed up, I would be more inclined to help. Otherwise, his hunt, his plan, his animal.

ewade07

WKR
My brother and I and one other dude were coming out one year and ran into a guy packing back a front and the head off a bull he had killed that morning. We said congrats and he got to talking to us. My first thought was why is he packing the head out on the first trip? He goes on to tell us he’s solo (shot the bull about 3 miles in) and that his feet are just killing him and that he’s taking this load out and then heading into the nearest town to sleep and see if he could find a packer to get the rest of the meat. He was not remotely in shape. He says he hung the meat and all his gear and then offers to pay us three if we would go get the rest of his meat. The guy rubbed me the wrong way. We all politely declined and headed on our way.

OP
Where's Bruce?
Noobs don't know what they don't know. I always chat with the local packer(s), meat processors and taxis before a hunt. If I'm solo I have a packer ready to assist should i find my old ass far from the truck. If someone offered to pay for help then they really must be desperate for it...don't think I could blow em off...if only out of respect for the dead elk. Opinions vary.

Noobs don't know what they don't know. I always chat with the local packer(s), meat processors and taxis before a hunt. If I'm solo I have a packer ready to assist should i find my old ass far from the truck. If someone offered to pay for help then they really must be desperate for it...don't think I could blow em off...if only out of respect for the dead elk. Opinions vary.
I plan on hunting this year despite needing a full left knee replacement and my right full knee replacement still healing. If I find myself needing help with a downed animal, can I count on you Bruce?

Dunndm

WKR
You are nearing the end of your elk hunt...the tag is in your pocket. You are completely focused, every day has been a true pursuit with eyes on decent bulls regularly. You're nearing the end of long hike to get downwind of a nice bull when you see the herd running off. 200 yards later find a lone bow hunter holding a red dripping arrow who is waiting to trail blood. He's pumped, looks exhausted and has the correct pack for hauling his kill but that's a 3 mile trek to the trailhead. It's 11am.

Didn’t read other replies.

Help him track, pack and enjoy himself. Just cause yourself, or myself might be unlucky doesn’t mean everyone has to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Where's Bruce?
I plan on hunting this year despite needing a full left knee replacement and my right full knee replacement still healing. If I find myself needing help with a downed animal, can I count on you Bruce?
Sure but I'm 8hrs away if I leave immediately. Better shoot it at dusk.

At 11 am, the day's hunt is basically over in that area. Help him find and break it down, maybe help haul one light load. Regroup for the next day and hunt my way over to the area and to check on his progress, but then keep hunting.

If he's pumped, he's not reserved enough to keep to himself and would gladly appreciate the help.

JNDEER

WKR
If the guy's not a dick (insert Bad Santa here) and would appreciate help...I would feel almost obligated to help, and offer rather than wait for a request. The big factors here (at least for me) being:

1. Heat of day, 2 can break down a bull much quicker than one.
2. Security...a benefit if you are in bear country.
3. Karma...can't have too much good karma, might get a shot at a 400 tomorrow for being a good guy today.
4. Possible new hunting buddy who is successful for a reason. Good partners are better than gold.
5. Murphy's Law seems to strike at the worst time and if the guy were to twist his ankle with a 100lbs on his back...he may end up stuck, his meat spoiled and run outta water. Two guys can pack out a big bull in two trips (9 miles total) but one making 4 trips is 21 miles which is a lot of miles carrying a heavy load.
6. If I eat my tag, I have a good excuse for it. :)

obligated? I fill tags, can't do that helping another stranger 3 miles deep in the woods. IF he is in some trouble, that's different ( i don't mean out of shape trouble and his bull could spoil trouble)

1- if he felt the same way, he should have brought a hunting partner.
2- security?? bear country?? you keep mace in your "murse"
3- Karma is for those who can only remember the bad in life.
4- successful?? you pushed a group of elk to him and he shot the bull. Blind squirrels find nuts.
5- his ankle, his choice, his problem. IF he hurts himself I don't have a problem helping someone in that situation, considering what "could" happen to a guy who choose to hunt elk solo 3 miles from a road... sounds like a good life lesson and if he can't cut it, I won't have to worry about seeing him back there next year.
6- I don't eat tags! - but that's me and others have different opinions.