What unit/not looking for your honey hole type questions...

rob86jeep

WKR
I just read another post asking for info on a unit and the person asking only had a few post's (from a year or two ago) also asking about a different unit. I know there's post limits for classifieds and PM's, too bad there's no way to stop people from joining forums just to ask dumb questions about where/how to hunt and always adding the "not looking for honey holes" comment thinking they sound sincere. Half the time I'll actually put forth effort in typing out a smart ass response just to delete it before I hit submit. I know I don't have a lot of time/posts on here, but hopefully I never came across like a lot of these people do.

I thoroughly enjoy hunting / scouting new areas.

I've never asked what areas or units to hunt, and I have fun spending the time doing the research to figure out what is going to be a good place to go. I've always thought asking people on a forum where to hunt is odd, when you can spend the time to find out for yourself, especially now with google earth.

Maybe these are the people watching YouTube videos and trying to pick out landmarks and figure out where they are.

I do scroll past a lot of them shaking my head. Sometimes I just can't help making a smart*ss comment. And I for one would never post real info period. So you guys posting dumb questions have been warned.

I would imagine if I used the F word in posts I would be removed from the forum by moderators. I would like if if the F word and “Unit XYZ” were treated the same across the board. Would just be a nice line in the sand imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can we add the "moving out west, what cities are good?" threads to this? That horse has been beat to death. Everywhere is crowded, real estate is in a bubble, and the hunting sucks. The end.

I'm taking a different approach. Not getting back elk hunting until 2020. Starting in the spring I plan on posting about all the 'neighboring' units, with 'honey hole' requests and coordinates to them. Figure that will ease the pressure on the unit I'm headed to.

It's obnoxious, but my solace is knowing that the guys and gals that take the shortcuts here, are not cut out for the unit they are asking about anyway, and they'll come out and hunt it once and then head home.

#nounitnames

I'm on a large fishing forum and there policy is no river names posted.
What forum, I picked up fly fishing an am looking for a good place to start. Not looking for anyones honey hole just a place a new guy can get a shot at a 24"+ trout. and it's my first post.

So get rid of the location questions.
Get rid of the what city should I move to.
Get rid of the reviews of any equipment or cloths questions until they have used that piece of equipment for at least 2 full seasons.
What else do we need to ban?
Will there be a forum left?

So get rid of the location questions.
Get rid of the what city should I move to.
Get rid of the reviews of any equipment or cloths questions until they have used that piece of equipment for at least 2 full seasons.
What else do we need to ban?
Will there be a forum left?

If it's a once in a lifetime tag or a unit that takes forever to draw I get asking for some help. But if it's an OTC or easy draw every idiot running a Google search is going to see it, and this ruins areas. And I think what really bothers people is most of it is coming from people who haven't contributed anything to the forum.

If it's a once in a lifetime tag or a unit that takes forever to draw I get asking for some help. But if it's an OTC or easy draw every idiot running a Google search is going to see it, and this ruins areas. And I think what really bothers people is most of it is coming from people who haven't contributed anything to the forum.

Spot on. I think it is perfectly fine asking about tags that are OIL or rare tags. But all specific information should be exchanged via PM or text messaging. I love to share info on some of the rare tags we have hunted...never going back and I want the next guy to have a great hunt as well.

I saw a post a couple years ago when I guy drew a tag that I hunted the year before. I immediately PM'd him and got cell info. Just did an info dump to him with the request that he keeps me updated on how the hunt went etc.

But OTC or generals...man...do the work on that people.

Please don't ban these questions! I have been pondering for quite some time and would like to implement the following plan for myself and anyone that would like to join in.

1. If people are asking questions 8-12 months in advance, even if they are stupid questions, treat them like a child help them with small words and very generalized advice.
2. If in the 6-8 month time frame asking dumb questions. Provide generally misleading information, and give them some shit about their question.
3. Anything inside of 6 months until hunt time (aka drew a tag and then decided to research). Personally look over unit maps and info, then very sincerely and earnestly direct them to areas that seem like they would have both high pressure and low population. Not obvious enough that you would pull it up on Google and go "bull shit" but deffinetly not a good area, and preferably pulling them away from quality areas.

I believe this is a happy medium that will teach people the cardinal rule, "don't trust what you read on the internet!"

Back