What unit/not looking for your honey hole type questions...

So that people don't think I'm a total ass, If someone came along and posted unit "xyz questions" and I opened it up and it read, I'm looking at unit xyz and have a few questions, if you have experience please PM me.

I'd be more than happy to PM even if it's an OTC unit. Now I'm not going to share my valued info, but I'd gladly help with general unit info, terrain, weather, etc. And I think 95% of roksliders would do the same

Fatcamp

WKR
Hire a Hooker. :cool:

Not a solid long term plan if I intend to maintain my wife's position as #1 hunting partner.

Funny story. This week I asked someone on another forum about hunting in an area they were familiar with. Boom! Info dump, including coordinates to camp locations and horse rental. Mind you, I already have points, a multi year plan, BLM/USFS/Custom maps, and a calendar marked on when I will draw and hunt. I never would have expected that information but think it's very cool he shared it, via pm, with someone he only knows online.

Now will I use that information? Maybe? Am I glad to have found someone who has experience in the area who likes to hunt and is willing to talk to me? Very much yes!

Wrench

WKR
You can pick any otc unit in America and most will have a success rate in the low teens. The funny thing is that some guys won't see a critter and others will thump critters out of the same unit year after year.

Just pick one and go learn it. They're all good, bad and other....just a matter of how you work it on the right or wrong day.

87TT

WKR
I met a guy on another forum and after a few PM's, we got together and I took him in my rig and drove him all over the unit I hunt and we scouted it out. Think I heard from him once since. no biggie but these guys that in their first post or so ask questions that show they know little or nothing about the area can kick rocks.

Fatcamp

WKR
I met a guy on another forum and after a few PM's, we got together and I took him in my rig and drove him all over the unit I hunt and we scouted it out. Think I heard from him once since. no biggie but these guys that in their first post or so ask questions that show they know little or nothing about the area can kick rocks.

That sucks. Honestly, I've helped a couple people with some pretty solid information, and never heard back. Not real cool.

Jimmy

Lil-Rokslider
I think some people don't care that they are asking for something valuable, and are offering nothing in return. These are the people you probably wouldn't want to hang out with.

Others just don't realize what they are asking. Not bad guys, just unaware. Sometimes frustrated and discouraged. These seem to be newer hunters. I'll help them out because I remember when I was brand new a few guys were nice to me and gave me some very general advice. If they hadn't, who knows if I'd be hunting today.

I didn't really know anyone that hunted, and the internet was the place to meet hunters and learn. (Granted, the most common and useful advice was guys telling me over and over to just get out there and learn it for myself. They were right.)

Unfortunately every hunting forum is like this. I often see guys post multiple threads on different ones asking about units they drew that they had no prior knowledge of. Tis the season to ask for coords...

I'll reply and ask if they didn't get enough info from the other forum.

wyosam

WKR
You can pick any otc unit in America and most will have a success rate in the low teens. The funny thing is that some guys won't see a critter and others will thump critters out of the same unit year after year.

Just pick one and go learn it. They're all good, bad and other....just a matter of how you work it on the right or wrong day.

Even when the success rates are higher, I think they are misleading. Here in Wyoming, we have amazing overall hunter success for elk in the mid 40's. That doesn't mean that if you turn loose 100 random people that 45 of them will kill elk. A good percentage of those elk are killed by the same people that kill elk every year, and I would assume a high percentage of guided hunters. I've always wondered if that percentage is based on success vs total number of tags issued, or number of individual hunters. Plenty of western WY locals consistently killing 2-3 elk a year.