What to do with the meat foreign hunter in Wyoming, Idaho and Colorado. Need meat cutters and places to donate

My only question is how much time has your friend set aside for all these hunts? Whoever pointed out that the meat situation is similar to how US hunters have to leave meat behind in Europe or Africa makes a great point. On those continents however, there is already a prescribed destination for any meat harvested whereas here in the USA a foreign hunter has to figure those arrangements out for themselves.

I hope we will get to read a recap of his hunting adventures after the season is over.

As has been mentioned Bighorn Meats in Buffalo, they do this all the time.

Call Lindsey at 307-684-5387. She can help you with this.

ClearCreek

manitou1

WKR
It would be pretty optimistic to plan to fill half those tags, even if not trophy hunting.

Buffalo has Bighorn Meats as a processor. I don't know what is in Sheridan, but they have them if you google it.

Congrats to your buddy. I can't vouch for his hunting prowess but he must be the luckiest guy in the world. 😁

I’m not trying to get into the pissing match but I would be trying to get some of that meat back home if I was him, I’m sure there are probably some laws I’m not aware of that prevent him from doing that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erict

WKR
Call the game warden in the area(s) the deer and antelope tags are for and ask about options. I would not be surprised if they know of needy families nearby. Better to do it now and know than wait until the wardens busy season. Good luck to your friend.

KenLee

WKR
And have you noticed that hunters who aren’t going to use the meat take very good care of it?
I don’t think trophy hunters by large and especially foreign ones have good intentions for the game animals they pursue. That’s it

Only the ones with a YouTube channel let the meat rot 😞

He’s already having to take time off and pay for the flight and accommodations. Might as well go all or nothing.
Heck yeah. Go big or go home!

Robobiss

Lil-Rokslider
Even though I was one of the ones going back and forth with @amassi, this is my feelings pretty much to a T on the entire thing.

I just dont see how accusing the dude of some of the things he was is warranted.
I feel very similarly as well. I’m happy for him, it’s going to be an awesome trip, but at the same time it’s “ehh”. But I wish him good luck and hope that everything works out. After all, how else do you hunt here if you are foreign?

On that note not to start a conversation on the matter I don’t really know how I feel about meat donation programs, either, but I’m sure they do a lot of good. To me, i enjoy hunting a lot, but first and foremost it is a means of feeding myself and my family and is more sacred than just knocking stuff over and giving it away after taking pictures. I won’t waste a crumb of meat from an animal that had its life ended prematurely by me, will the people that get that meat appreciate the same sacrifice of the animals life?

To me, and how I was raised “don’t kill it if you aren’t going to eat it”. This hardly applies if you are somewhere that has bonkers deer (for example) populations like the south where they truly need to be managed aggressively, donate away all you want in those cases.

I feel the same way about guys that I know personally that travel all over Timbuktu and kill a completely ridiculous number of animals every year. They will shoot 10+ big deer all over the country, hit texas for exotics a couple times, and throw in an elk or moose to boot every year…

Okay, already way more meat than their families can eat in a year. THEN they come home to our lackluster deer herd, fill one or two doe tags and shoot another buck.

I understand that’s it’s all kosher legally, I’m happy for them that they get the opportunity and have the life that allows them to spend that much time “away” and in the woods to get all that done. It still stings a little bit. When I’m stressing to get a third deer in the freezer to make it through the year or cursing the entire system when I don’t draw a moose tag for the umpteenth time in a row, it stings. There’s no way around that feeling.

Last edited:
It would be pretty optimistic to plan to fill half those tags, even if not trophy hunting.

Buffalo has Bighorn Meats as a processor. I don't know what is in Sheridan, but they have them if you google it.

Congrats to your buddy. I can't vouch for his hunting prowess but he must be the luckiest guy in the world. 😁
Well come on Manitou, this guy's a ninja remember! I'm pretty sure if he killed half the forest in new Zealand, filling 5 tags here will be a cake walk!

Tmac

WKR
I’ve donated donated meat several times. AK caribou, donated all but 50 lbs that I flew home with. The air transport knew several elderly native families that wanted the meat. Was happy to help them. Done the same in MT simply to help a family in need. Butcher knew a family in desperate need and had a sign up at the counter.

Generally I keep and consume my kills, but not always. Really no different than giving some to a buddy or friend at home.

I commend your friend for checking ahead of time, shows his respect for the animal.

So an Austrian buddy of mine ended up punching above his weight limit, and has the following tags:

Idaho moose bull
Wyoming deer
Wyoming antelope
Colorado deer
Colorado ewe bighorn

He has the Colorado species sorted as he is going to drop them to some family of mine near Cheyenne.

The Idaho moose he has sorted out as well. A friend who lives in Eastern Washington is going to meet him in the unit and take the meat from that one.

The Wyoming deer and antelope we do not have a solution for, they are hunts in NW Wyoming. The only hunters for the hungry outfit I can find is in Jackson. 350 miles from where he is.

Does anyone have a meat cutter near Sheridan or Buffalo they like. I told him to drop it there and then pick it up after he is done moose hunting. Then he can drop it in Cheyenne on his way back to Denver to fly out.

The antelope hunt in NE Wyoming is October 1, 2, 3.

The deer hunt in the bighorns Wyoming is the 15th through the 23rd of October.

He is a freaking deer ninja. He will fill all these tags. He self guided and hiked into the New Zealand backcountry 15 miles and killed half the forest.

People talk about expert hunters, he is one. Never met a finer hunter than this guy. Just incredible.
I’ll be in Casper during those days in October and would take the antelope if he could get it to me or close to me. I’m not struggling for meat so if he finds a more needing person, by all means, but if not, feel free to reach out.

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
I don’t know the rules with shipping meat, but would assume there are some strict rules going between countries.
How many Americans go to Africa every year and kill 8 animals on their safari? They can’t bring any meat back, but they will tell you it was all donated to villages. I’m sure a lot of people are disappointed they can’t ship any back to the states, but that doesn’t stop them from going on the hunt.
So why can’t a guy come to the states and have one hell of a hunt? Assuming everything is done legally kudos to him.

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
So an Austrian buddy of mine ended up punching above his weight limit, and has the following tags:

Idaho moose bull
Wyoming deer
Wyoming antelope
Colorado deer
Colorado ewe bighorn

He has the Colorado species sorted as he is going to drop them to some family of mine near Cheyenne.

The Idaho moose he has sorted out as well. A friend who lives in Eastern Washington is going to meet him in the unit and take the meat from that one.

The Wyoming deer and antelope we do not have a solution for, they are hunts in NW Wyoming. The only hunters for the hungry outfit I can find is in Jackson. 350 miles from where he is.

Does anyone have a meat cutter near Sheridan or Buffalo they like. I told him to drop it there and then pick it up after he is done moose hunting. Then he can drop it in Cheyenne on his way back to Denver to fly out.

The antelope hunt in NE Wyoming is October 1, 2, 3.

The deer hunt in the bighorns Wyoming is the 15th through the 23rd of October.

He is a freaking deer ninja. He will fill all these tags. He self guided and hiked into the New Zealand backcountry 15 miles and killed half the forest.

People talk about expert hunters, he is one. Never met a finer hunter than this guy. Just incredible.

Sounds like a great opportunity, what a lucky guy!

I live in Buffalo, WY and if you’re still looking for ideas/suggestions on what to do with the meat in WY, get in touch with me and I’ll see if I can help. I would PM you but it’s not allowing me, so feel free to PM me if you want to discuss directly.

3forks

WKR
If our respective states allow foreign hunters to apply for and draw tags knowing there are laws in place that prevent a foreign hunter from bringing the meat home with them; then his only issue is how to prevent an issue with laws concerning wanton waste.

Does the guy speak English? If he does, this request for help might have been a little better received if he had joined this forum and made the request himself. Plus, I’m sure a lot of us would be interested in hearing about his prior hunts and potentially how his upcoming hunts turn out.

This isn’t a criticism - but if the guy does speak English and he can figure out the various state’s application processes - why can’t he figure out what to do with the meat or get on here and ask for help himself?