What to do with rifle while scouting before season

Michael54

WKR
Simple solution. Call the game commission where you plan on hunting and ask for the local warden to give you a call back. When he calls you back ask him directly what he recomends. And then do that. There's a lot of people that travel to hunt and do not know the local laws. A simple phone call sometimes can go a long way toward your peace of mind, especially when you are hunting multiple states for multiple species. Its a lot easier to say "im doing exactly what you told me on the phone" when confronted than it is to say "its my god given right because i'm an american, im hunting coyotes, bear protection.....blah blah blah"

tdhanses

WKR
Always shocks me that it seems people don’t understand we are free to walk around armed, especially in the woods. You don’t have to be a hunter to carry a gun.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Always shocks me that it seems people don’t understand we are free to walk around armed, especially in the woods. You don’t have to be a hunter to carry a gun.
Absolutely agree. One needs to be mindful of hunting seasons. If you are walking around with a high power rifle during deer/Elk season a warden could, and likely will get the impression you are hunting. While they sometimes just happen upon you, keep in mind, they have likely had an eye on you for a while. They can be sneaky that way. I think it has been mentioned, some areas do not allow you to even carry a firearm into the wild/woods for several days prior to hunting season. But, I always tell my friends, do what ever you want, just be ready for the consequence.

Minnesota has a law that 5 days before deer opener no gun or ammo that can be used to take deer and 2 days after season closes.
exceptions are for small game hunting but closely defined.
grey area IMO is if the person has a permit to carry license which can be pistol or long gun can be carried but judge would agree with the warden I suspect.
Sounds to me like Minnesota officials need to re-read the 2nd Amendment.

KenLee

WKR
I used to think the same way until I got written up for "intent" to shoot deer while pig hunting in California. It was ridiculous and came with a mandatory court appearance. I showed up to court thinking there's no way the judge will uphold this, well, I was wrong. The citing officer didn't even show up and I was found guilty and forced to pay $1500. It all sounds cool as hell to say I'm a red blooded American and its my God given right to carry a firearm (which I do agree with) until all that happens. I've got a question for all you guys saying just carry it cause it's your right. What would you do in the situation I described above? Tell the warden to piss off? Tell the judge to piss off?? Cause it's my right!
Appealed to real Court and won

I'd leave it in camp. If you're that concerned about theft, I'd wrap in a plastic bag and hide it near camp. No one is going to find it. I've been known to set up a trailcam to monitor camp while I'm away.