What to do with rifle while scouting before season

Arriving to unit 6 days ahead of season to scout. What would you do with your rifle? All these stolen this or that threads make me think there is no way I am leaving my rifle in my truck at camp while I am out scouting. Keep it in a soft case on my pack? Lock it in a quality case and lock the case to my truck seat? What would you do?

As long as there is a current open season for another species (ex: squirrel or coyote), then absolutely bring it with you. If there is not, bring it with you but you may want to leave all ammo behind to cover your backside if a GW wants to be a bozo.

If you are worried about an over zealous warden (like I have been in the past) just pull the bolt out of the rifle and put it in the bottom of your pack or somewhere not easily accessible. That satisfied the "intent" part for the wardens I've spoken with. Yes, definitely take it though. I really try not to leave much if anything at the truck these days. I've had too much stolen and dealt with too many brake ins.

OneSkinnyHunter

Lil-Rokslider
See I don't get that. Not illegal to hunt coyotes, not illegal to shoot on public land, not illegal to carry a rifle.

Why stash the bolt? Or even worry about it?
Totally agree. You are doing nothing wrong, just carry it.
If a GW hassles you, ask for their name and badge number and tell them you’ll be calling to leave a complaint.

grfox92

WKR
I live in Grizz country and once Called Game and Fish to ask about carrying a rifle outside of hunting season. The woman on the phone cut me off and said "there is nothing illegal about carrying around a gun on public land." That was good enough for me.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Take it, but leave ammo at camp/truck. If you had ammo with you, gun not loaded,, and you were glassing, a warden could say you were in the act of hunting, and that is really all they need. So take gun but no ammo.

49ereric

WKR
Minnesota has a law that 5 days before deer opener no gun or ammo that can be used to take deer and 2 days after season closes.
exceptions are for small game hunting but closely defined.
grey area IMO is if the person has a permit to carry license which can be pistol or long gun can be carried but judge would agree with the warden I suspect.

See I don't get that. Not illegal to hunt coyotes, not illegal to shoot on public land, not illegal to carry a rifle.

Why stash the bolt? Or even worry about it?
I agree with you and you are right. If I truly had intent to shoot a coyote if I came across one I wouldn't have the bolt out. If I were actively glassing, searching and scouting for game animals prior to season opening, I'm probably going to have the bolt out if I'm carrying the rifle. It's just a gesture of good faith I suppose. It can be disarming for a warden, which is a good thing. Especially being that they run into and deal with some real low lifes. I try to have positive interactions with game wardens when I see them and if I can help the odds of doing so I generally will.

WJS23

WKR
Take your rifle with you and don’t worry about it. I bring a rifle or shot gun with me every time I go out to check my trail cameras all year.

Jethro

WKR
You'll be fine until you get something. Then don't leave the head/horns out of your sight.

My rifle would probably be in a hard case under my cot, under all the other mounds of gear. Thats where I normally have it. I know I wouldn't carry it with me scouting.

WDO

FNG
Carry the rifle, leave the ammo at the truck.
Even without the recent posts, no way I'd leave my main tool of the trade unsupervised.

Same with spotter, I'll carry an extra 4# of spotter versus leaving it in the truck.

If you are worried about an over zealous warden (like I have been in the past) just pull the bolt out of the rifle and put it in the bottom of your pack or somewhere not easily accessible. That satisfied the "intent" part for the wardens I've spoken with. Yes, definitely take it though. I really try not to leave much if anything at the truck these days. I've had too much stolen and dealt with too many brake ins.
Those game wardens need to get new careers if that is their threshold.