What to do with a pre war Model 70 Winchester

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
Was just gifted a pre-war pre 64' Winchester model 70 chambered in .270

It is in excellent condition and has never been modified from what I can tell. I'm not s firearm collector at all and my initial thought was to put a modern scope and stock on it and make a more useful rifle.

But then I started doing some research and figured out these rifles are more of a collectors rifle. I would need to have holes drilled and tapped in the receiver to be able to mount a modern scope but looks like I would lose about 50% of the value of the rifle if I do.

What should I do with this rifle? What is the rough value of this rifle the way it is?

(Was able to shoot a 1.5" group at 100 yards even with the crude scope that's on it)
d0a3817e45e17b820947fb1bff8276d5.jpg
4b84894f567a31c50b6134b2ba96429f.jpg
f27c5dcecd444b479ecfee2982748377.jpg

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

I'd hunt it as is. And if the scope was truly bad I'd pull it and go with irons. But a majority of the places I hunt I can set myself up for sub 100 yard shots and I'd have not a moments hesitation.

4cMuley

Lil-Rokslider
Drill and tap for modern rings. Keep the stock as is but probably add strap on cheek riser. Then shoot the shit out of it. Superb rifle that was made to shoot, not sit in a safe. Ol’ Jack will grin from above

ericacymcdonald

Lil-Rokslider
I am going to go against the crowd and recommend doing whatever you want with it that would make you use it and not worry about the value because you should never sell it anyway if it was gifted. I have a model 99 I got from my grandfather and had the stock engraved with his name and put a modern 2-7 scope on it with which I'm sure ruined the value but I'm also sure if he was still around he'd be much happier that I am using it then if it was left the same and being a safe queen.

Last edited:
OP
C

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
I'm torn. I would love to leave it the way it is since it's made it 80 years practically untouched, and I appreciate the history of it. But on the other hand I've never been a collector of anything before and would love to use the rifle. Maybe I will just use it the way it is on rare occasions for awhile

TaperPin

WKR
I have a rifle out of 1960ish that most people said I should leave alone for collector value, and I’ve even been offered enough for it to buy a new rifle, but I choose to keep and modernize it and that was a good decision. The cool part about it is it’s an old rifle, but just as capable as anything more modern. A retromod rifle. Had it been kept original, it would rarely be shot - a waste of space.

Wapiti151

WKR
Your rifle, do with it whatever you want. However, there are alot of people out there that would love that rifle, and collect old Winchesters like this (me included). For that reason, I’d say please don’t modify such a historical piece in that condition…it, among others, is a foundation for many of the bolt actions we use and love today. You truly have a piece of American history there, equally as iconic as the Winchester lever actions…even more so to bolt action collectors.

If it doesn’t have sentimental value, I’d sell that to someone who loves and collects old bolt actions or model 70s. That way it lives on and is enjoyed by someone who appreciates what it is in its original condition. With that $ you will be able to buy most any modern rifle you want.

But, all that being said…it’s yours and you should do whatever makes you happy. If it makes you happy to modernize and hunt with it, it’ll make a hell of a rifle. Will also hunt just the way it is.

I'm torn. I would love to leave it the way it is since it's made it 80 years practically untouched, and I appreciate the history of it. But on the other hand I've never been a collector of anything before and would love to use the rifle. Maybe I will just use it the way it is on rare occasions for awhile

It’s made it 80 years untouched because it likely hasn’t been used in the last 30…. If it has a soul it’s a pretty sad and lonely rifle.

If you love it, like really love it and plan to keep it and hunt it then do whatever you want to it and give it life.

If you’re not 100% sure about your love for it and there’s a chance you might part with it, I would leave it untouched and park it for a few years then circle back to it… your feelings and interests might have changed.

That’s what I would do anyways.

OP
C

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
It’s made it 80 years untouched because it likely hasn’t been used in the last 30…. If it has a soul it’s a pretty sad and lonely rifle.

If you love it, like really love it and plan to keep it and hunt it then do whatever you want to it and give it life.

If you’re not 100% sure about your love for it and there’s a chance you might part with it, I would leave it untouched and park it for a few years then circle back to it… your feelings and interests might have changed.

That’s what I would do anyways.
I know where the rifle came from and almost positive I am only the third owner of it and the second owner never shot it. Pretty confident this rifle hasn't been shot in at least 40 years.

BIGEYES

FNG
I'm a Model 70 guy so my opinion on what to do with that rifle is prejudiced by my interest.
Rifles in this condition will only be original once. Over the years, I've seen so many fine firearms modified, destroying their originality. As stated, this rifle comes from an era when handwork and pride in craftsmanship were valued. Yes its a factory rifle; but it is also a piece of firearm history.
There are lots of very reasonably priced utilitarian modern rifles available today if you have the need for such. I recommend that you keep the rifle original, shoot it and enjoy the nostalgia of a significant era in firearms history.

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
If it were mine, I would leave it as it is other than taking the scope off and putting a proper receiver peep sight on it. I’d then buy myself a current M70 in weatherproof configuration with a proper scope and hunt with each of them as conditions called for. I’ve shot everything from coyote to Yukon moose with the .270. I’d use it on anything but one of the big bears in a bad spot.

BIGEYES

FNG
Preserve the best condition box of ammo by wraping in plastic wrap to maintain condition. Keep it with the rifle. That grizzly Winchester ammo is very collectable and dates with the rifle. Good stuff there. Love it,

SloppyJ

WKR
First off, that's an amazing gift. Thats a pretty special rifle. Depending on a few things I think you're in the 1200 to 1600 ballpark on price. I'm not the expert on value, I've never sold one of mine. Just basing it on what I saw older m70s listed for at a recent gun show. I could be way off, it could be special and worth a lot more. But I didn't see a pre-64 for under $1k. I think yours is pretty old based on the safety design but it looks like some of the bluing might be rough in spots.

I have a deep love for M70s. It's your gun though and I say that you should do whatever you want to it that will make you use it more. It's a sweet rifle and looks to be original and in what I consider to be the perfect representation in .270.

I wouldn't hesitate to get it drilled and tapped for new scope bases if that one isn't usable. If it were mine and I decided to modify it, I would do my best to keep it in a state where it can be returned to original condition. Don't chop up the barrel or the stock. If you want to change those, replace them and keep the original ones.

I have a desire to take one of my newer M70s and put a proof barrel on it and hog out the supergrade stock to accept the new profile. I couldn't bring myself to do that with your rifle.

Regardless, if I ran into you hunting and you were carrying that, I'd instantly have a higher opinion of you on that alone. If you has modified it tastefully, I'd also respect that because you're actually using it. That is likely a very unpopular decision with the m70 purists though.

OP
C

ChasinDoes

Lil-Rokslider
Have you guys ever contacted anybody from pre64win.com? I've seen on a few different forums to talk to them but I emailed them a week ago and still no response

Vern400

WKR
A pre '64 Winchester 70 is special. If you're hunting from 0 to 400 yd like 99.% of the population that rifle is fine just like it is. It'll be a nice bonus if the scope is fog proof. You'll be way cooler than the dude shooting a basket rack 8 point with a PRS rifle at 50 yards IMO

You can buy a cheap rifle and scope for less money than you'll devalue that M70 tapping it for scope mounts.

On the other hand if you do modify the gun, it will make my safari grade M70 more valuable. Going on sixty something years, fired only at Winchester.

2five7

WKR
Leave it as is! Any modifications you do to it, no matter how minor , will cut the value by around 50%. Hunt with it as is, or oil it and put it away as a investment piece.