What to do with rifle while scouting before season

There must be way different laws in other places to even have this be a topic?? I carry with me every single time I'm in the field!!!! And yes I've had multiple game wardens question why I have a rifle with me especially when the only thing open is coyotes, simple answer I gave was its not illegal and it's my still my God damn legal right so please stop fishing for shit that ain't there. Most wardens I've met are a lot like most of us, but then there's the few that are just a-holes no matter what. Happens in everything 🤷‍♂️.

Arriving to unit 6 days ahead of season to scout. What would you do with your rifle? All these stolen this or that threads make me think there is no way I am leaving my rifle in my truck at camp while I am out scouting. Keep it in a soft case on my pack? Lock it in a quality case and lock the case to my truck seat? What would you do?
in my gun bearer on my pack, is there any predator tags you can get? (lion, wolf, bear, etc) that makes it easy to justify packing, but i just wouldn't want to leave it in my rig or camp.... i always have a tag for something, lion or bear.

took my brother deer hunting a few days ago, all i have is a lion tag, but i like having an extra rifle... with my brother, haha, and i have a lion tag and killed a big tom in there last year in the same timeframe.... as it turned out, i had no ammo for it on me, have lots of ammo for my wife's rifle in my pack, but haven't hunted with my rifle at all yet.... i packed an empty rifle all over the hills that day, haha. couldn't leave it in my pickup, not anymore

Arriving to unit 6 days ahead of season to scout. What would you do with your rifle? All these stolen this or that threads make me think there is no way I am leaving my rifle in my truck at camp while I am out scouting. Keep it in a soft case on my pack? Lock it in a quality case and lock the case to my truck seat? What would you do?
This is very simple. If the law allows it in the state in which you will be scouting, carry it with you.

If you are worried about an over zealous warden (like I have been in the past) just pull the bolt out of the rifle and put it in the bottom of your pack or somewhere not easily accessible. That satisfied the "intent" part for the wardens I've spoken with. Yes, definitely take it though. I really try not to leave much if anything at the truck these days. I've had too much stolen and dealt with too many brake ins.
i wouldn't worry about wardens, i use to, but my attitude these days is if i'm not doing anything sketchy, i don't care how it looks, if they want to be an a-hole, that's on them. you don't have to play into it. it's a sidearm at that point if you aren't actively hunting

i wouldn't worry about wardens, i use to, but my attitude these days is if i'm not doing anything sketchy, i don't care how it looks, if they want to be an a-hole, that's on them. you don't have to play into it. it's a sidearm at that point if you aren't actively hunting
How is hunting defined in the state in which the OP will scout? How is actively hunting defined? How is sidearm defined? Are there any laws that may prohibit rifle possession during open archery or muzzle loader seasons?

There must be way different laws in other places to even have this be a topic?? I carry with me every single time I'm in the field!!!! And yes I've had multiple game wardens question why I have a rifle with me especially when the only thing open is coyotes, simple answer I gave was its not illegal and it's my still my God damn legal right so please stop fishing for shit that ain't there. Most wardens I've met are a lot like most of us, but then there's the few that are just a-holes no matter what. Happens in everything 🤷‍♂️.
On LA WMAs, firearms are prohibited unless there is and open season and the firearm in possession is legal for the game for which the season is open.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Are y'all really this worried?
The area hunt use to hunt had a warden that patrolled with an iron fist. He was put on this earth for one reason, writing citation. Don't even think about doing something he could write you up about. He would check you up and down, including your truck looking for violations. I had him check me three times in one day. he was the only one I ran into like that, but where this is one, there are likely others.

Goatboy22

FNG
You guys go big game hunting and only have one rifle with you? How about the spare, or the varmint rifle or the handguns? I wouldn't be able to carry all my weaponry, not to mention the flyrods.....

Reactions: WCB
I used to think the same way until I got written up for "intent" to shoot deer while pig hunting in California. It was ridiculous and came with a mandatory court appearance. I showed up to court thinking there's no way the judge will uphold this, well, I was wrong. The citing officer didn't even show up and I was found guilty and forced to pay $1500. It all sounds cool as hell to say I'm a red blooded American and its my God given right to carry a firearm (which I do agree with) until all that happens. I've got a question for all you guys saying just carry it cause it's your right. What would you do in the situation I described above? Tell the warden to piss off? Tell the judge to piss off?? Cause it's my right!

Good lord. What country do you guys live in?

Tell the man to have a great day just like you are....and enjoy your freedoms as an American.

It's your constitution...use it.
I do agree with your premise, but what does that mean or how does that hold water when you are standing in a courtroom and a judge doesn't see it that way and rules against you.

The area hunt use to hunt had a warden that patrolled with an iron fist. He was put on this earth for one reason, writing citation. Don't even think about doing something he could write you up about. He would check you up and down, including your truck looking for violations. I had him check me three times in one day. he was the only one I ran into like that, but where this is one, there are likely others.
I meant about theft from your truck at camp or meth heads back in the mountains/woods/fields.

Ever stop and think about the type of person that warden deals with on a routine basis? It takes an exceptional person to deal with sh*theads all day every day and still give people the benefit of the doubt with a cheerful disposition. You should try it sometime.

I don't apologize for defending LEO's. I know what they put up with and how they are treated. Sadly our game wardens get treated the worst by hunters of all people.