What packs are all you gram weenies using?

I use my Kifaru KU5200 for a day pack and short trip pack. Around 3 #s with a Gunbearer. Not good for heavy and bulky loads as it barrels and just doesn't hold shape....even though I've gone a several long sheep hunts with it. Anymore I prefer the Kifaru Reckoning for major back-pack trips.

The KU5200 uses two layers of Sil nylon for the bag. Mine has held up decently, along with the belt pouch. We did rebuild the water bottle pouch as it wore thru the first layer.

Chaplain

FNG
Superior Wilderness Designs has a few 2lb bags that can carry 40-50lb easy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Stone Glacier Evo 3300
3lb 13oz - frame & bag

This is a darn near perfect "minimalist" hunting pack for me. It's the ideal zipper access setup for me and not too big so I don't have tons of folded up fabric when compressed. With lightweight gear I can still do multi-day hunts with option of lid too.

I use the load shelf to haul out meat so don't need a larger actual pack. Would be different if packing meat inside the pack.

Used to run Exo 4800 (5lb 3oz), which is a great pack, company and guys running it, but just never really used the side pouches or unzipped all the way. So for the way I like to run my pack, the minimalism and saving over 1lb of weight was worth it for me to try the Evo 3300. Love it.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
For UL, Seek Outside is the clear winner. A 4 pound pack with a load shelf between frame and bag or a 3 pound pack with integrated frame. It can haul 120 pounds comfortably if adjusted correctly (probably more, but that is the heaviest I've done).

Exo makes very nice bags, but they are heavier that SO. I have comfortably hauled 120 pounds on a K3 as well.

To compare, my SO is a 5400 bag and weights 68 ounces with one belt pocket, load shelf, and 4 inch frame extensions.

My Exo comes in at 78 ounces, is a 3500 bag, and that is with one belt pocket, but no load shelf and lid removed.

Both companies are outstanding to work with.

KUIU is your best bet for lightweight packs that still function really well. I use their 3600 and 7000lt bags with their new suspension (which is awesome btw).

ZuluBravo

WKR
That looks like a great design. I'm assuming the fabric used is pretty light weight and would require some additional care in use compared to the typical 500d cordura hunting pack?
It does to an extent. The abrasion resistance as on par or better than 500d but puncture resistance is less IMHO. I’ve added 1000d to high stress areas to help with this. End of the day weight/durability is always a trade off

kaboku68

WKR
I have a Kelty Cloud 6400 from the 90s. It if full Dyneema and weighs 2lbs with change. I asked Kelty how much it would cost to re-introduce the Cloud it would cost north of 2500 dollars.

11boo

WKR
I’m using the older kuiu icon pro suspension and their last generation “ultra” 4000 bag, both are slightly lighter than the current models. With two belt pockets it weighs in at 3lbs, 14ounces. The lightest hunting set up I used was a stone glacier evo frame and their dry bag, about a pound lighter I think. For non hunting day trips I use a cheap light frameless pack from amazon, unless I bring my chair and other comfort items.
The Kuiu ultra stuff is very light.

Jellymon1

Lil-Rokslider
My Kuiu icon pro suspension with ultra 5500 bag is right at 4lbs. It’s comfortably handled the many elk, deer, and bears I’ve thrown at it over the last 7ish years.