What items do you carry multiples of while in the backcountry?

Gray_Law

FNG
I always carry multiple ways to make fire. I carry at least FOUR Bic lighters, a firestarter, and a MilSpec water proof container of kitchen matches. I also carry two knives. One an old Schrade 3 blade Cattleman's pocket knife which is 99% of what I ever need in a knife, and a fixed blade Buck 120 that I've had since I was 14. Two spare magazines for my Glock 20 (10mm). Depending upon what I am doing, where I am doing it, and what rifle I am carrying (assuming I am carrying a rifle), at least two reloads for it. Three white lights, one on my pistol, one high lumen Streamlight, and a head lamp. Small package of 8 fire starter cubes. Two spare boot laces made from 550 cord. Two stainless water bottles that can be safely boiled. Two pairs of wool socks, even in summer.

The reality of it is...after two replaced knees...I don't hike miles and miles anymore. I am either in my Jeep, where I carry a box full of "possibles" and self rescue supplies, or I am on my horse and have all the stuff I am going to need in the saddlebags.

I like lightweight, quality gear that will last. I don't mind spending good money once rather than cheap money a bunch of times, and I don't just buy the new "gee whizz" thing on the market. The thing I carry most of is common sense.

Clovis

Lil-Rokslider
I used to use one headlamp and a spare battery but now carry that spare battery in another headlamp because of the following experience: I was blood trailing into the wee hours once w a zebralight cranking when my first battery faded out. Dropped and could not find the cap to the headlamp after putting in the new battery leaving me a long way from camp in the dark. Obvious ways to prevent this problem but worth avoiding if possible.

ElkNut1

WKR
2 sources for a fire, 2 knives & 4 game bags, that's it. I like my pack to be under 20# for all day hunts. This does not include bow weight.

ElkNut

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I used to use one headlamp and a spare battery but now carry that spare battery in another headlamp because of the following experience: I was blood trailing into the wee hours once w a zebralight cranking when my first battery faded out. Dropped and could not find the cap to the headlamp after putting in the new battery leaving me a long way from camp in the dark. Obvious ways to prevent this problem but worth avoiding if possible.

I've had similar events, I now wear a small lanyard w/ a whistle and photon light around my neck. Weighs all of an ounce (whistle and light). It's not a light to see me down the trail, but enough light for swapping batteries, getting a drink at night, etc.