All around midweight boot recommendations?

Yeah I know - another boot recommendation request thread, but bear with me. I'm trying to get off this boot merry-go-round. The bottom line is that I don't want too much boot for my application and I don't want something that is too lightweight in the event that I need a little "extra" due to conditions. So what is my application?

This boot will mostly be for hunting elk in Northern New Mexico around Chama. So, hilly, broken-up territory, but generally pretty easy to navigate. Some rocky hill scampering, but not side-hilling giant mountains. Day hunts and not heavy packing. Early November, so generally below freezing in the AM and usually warms up to 40's or 50's during the day. Generally not a lot of snow, but there may be exceptions to that.

I currently have a really old pair of Salomon Ultra boots for hunting here in GA - super light and comfy, but a little too light for NM. I also have a pair of 8" Hoffman Explorers. Great boots for their intended purpose, but total overkill for me. Big, stiff, mountaineering boots great for heavy packing, but murder to be wearing that much extra weight when I don't need it. I'll probably hang on to them just in case.

So I'm probably looking for a good jack of all trades (master of some) boot that's not so light as to be largely ineffective should I find myself in the occasional snow, cold, rocky hillside, creek, but not so heavy as to feel like Herman Munster when I'm straight trailing it in 50 degrees with no pack on.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Last edited:

sndmn11

WKR

BBob

WKR
There are tons of midweight do it all’s but here’s two I’ve used and could recommend.
Scarpa Zodiac Plus
La Sportiva Trango Tech

The Scarpa Mescalito looks good too and it might have a bit more of a cushioned midsole than the Zodiac. The Zodiacs aren’t cushy at all on hard packed trails if that’s a concern. They are a great mid flex technical terrain boot though.

WTSN

FNG
I’ve had the Crispi Summits since mid summer and I’m liking them more than I thought I would. What your description says is basically how I would describe I feel about the Summits

Brando

FNG
Crispi Lapponia has been a great boot for me. I also have a pair of Crispi Nevadas but the Lapponia is my go to. Light weight and stiff enough. Never cold and never wet here in the PNW. They are now the Lapponia II but I’m sure they are still a great all around boot.

cgr1971

FNG
Do you prefer an 8" or 10" boot?

If you like a 10" boot, the Schnee's Timberlines are pretty nimble for a solid boot and are on sale currently at a big discount.

tp308

Lil-Rokslider
Hooked on Crispi Wyomings for life, hopeful they don't make big changes in the future...

OP
S
Do you prefer an 8" or 10" boot?

If you like a 10" boot, the Schnee's Timberlines are pretty nimble for a solid boot and are on sale currently at a big discount.
Definitely more in the 6-8" fairly light camp. I'll check out the Kestrel.