Rifle for a rookie

Look at the Tikka T3X Roughtech series.. They come with fluted barrels, (slightly thicker than the lite (D-18 barrel is the same a Sako uses). Also, They are threaded for 5/8x24 for whatever you might want to screw on the end. They address you're issues.. The std Roughtech does not use Stainless, but the brand new Ember series does... The std lite series is awesome (Stainless), but would have to be threaded if you ever wanted to put anything on the end of it.. Lots of variants in stocks, grips(interchangable), forearms if you want to add a wider forearm.. You're closing in on it and asking a lot of good questions (getting some good feedback too)..

OP
W

wilallin

FNG
Look at the Tikka T3X Roughtech series.. They come with fluted barrels, (slightly thicker than the lite (D-18 barrel is the same a Sako uses). Also, They are threaded for 5/8x24 for whatever you might want to screw on the end. They address you're issues.. The std Roughtech does not use Stainless, but the brand new Ember series does... The std lite series is awesome (Stainless), but would have to be threaded if you ever wanted to put anything on the end of it.. Lots of variants in stocks, grips(interchangable), forearms if you want to add a wider forearm.. You're closing in on it and asking a lot of good questions (getting some good feedback too)..
Definitely will look into this. Hopefully i can find one in my price range. If i have to save a little longer so be it, hunting season is a way off.

Thank you!

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

OP
W

wilallin

FNG
22lr and a spotlight.

Read through years of prosecution records - they show it is an effective caliber.
I've no doubt, i know a few ne'er-do-wells in the holler who do this regularly for meat with success. But uh...not for me

Taudisio

WKR
I just typed out an essay and deleted it. Anything in your budget will work. My straight recommendation for what you asked per my experience-is 270 win tikka (6.5 prc if it’s out yet). The recoil on the two is more than I would like to recommend a new shooter but if elk is anywhere on the table they are MY minimum caliber recommendation. Budget option is a Ruger American. 50 rounds in an hour will have a warm to hot barrel no matter what. Think 1 round per 1.2 minutes.

PNWGATOR

WKR
@slimC
So true!!!!!

Choosing projectiles that produce lousy wound channels delivered by cartridges that generate high recoil delivered by platforms that are poorly designed and engineered topped with scopes that don’t hold zero, return to zero or dial precisely equipped with reticles that are not functional.

Just because you CAN do something doesn’t mean you should…couldn’t agree more.

The 223/77tmk combo is far more effective than I could have imagined, without seeing all of the pictures and now after several deer in the freezer. Ammo or even bullet availability is difficult, and getting worse everytime it is recommended....

My recommendation would be tikka/6.5creedmoor. Good ammo availability, and even the stuff it is at its best with is easily found.

Rifles And More

Lil-Rokslider
I've no doubt, i know a few ne'er-do-wells in the holler who do this regularly for meat with success. But uh...not for me

Fair enough.

Tikka is the 'easy button'.
I tend towards 30-06 or 308 but I have seen the advantages of lesser recoiling cartridges. Whatever you get, the important thing is to know it well.

Leaf Litter

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome, thanks for all the advice guys.

I do have a 22lr that the scope is on right now. Getting plenty of reps in on that. I also have one of my ARs scoped with a Leupold 3-9 that i practice with for around 38 cents a shot. I'm definitely not a pro, but i have been shooting various rifles (mostly ARs) for about a decade now. So i won't be starting completely from scratch but I want to be as good as i can be.

Min. Caliber to hunt deer with in WV is .24. I like the idea of the 7mm-08 ballistically, but ammo seems to be substantially more expensive for the loads I'd like to use. I intend to buy in bulk once i figure out a load it likes from whatever outfit is cheapest, i use ammoseek to price shop

I'm leaning heavily towards the T3x Lite stainless after your inputs on here. Is this the type of skinny stainless barrel i need to be wary of?

It has a 22" barrel. Is it worth it to go up to the 30-06 at that length? Or just stick with the .308?

Prices seem pretty similar for ammo and I'm not recoil shy i was brought up on a chopped Mosin Nagant lol but obviously less is better. 6.5 Creedmoor's inherent accuracy with many loads appeals to me, but maybe I've just bought into the Hornady hype? 6.5 plinking ammo is about 10 cents a shot more, so all else being equal it would lose the tiebreaker imo. But i am of course open to being wrong

You'll see about 100ish fps increases with a 30-06 over 308 at most barrel lengths, but that might not matter a lot at distances under 500 yards for deer/bear sized game. You'd see it pay off if you ever wanted to hunt larger game at longer distance.

Your comment about the Mosin Nagant brought back bittersweet memories from my youth. 7.62x54R can really put some sting into that wooden buttstock. Plus the hammer and sickle stamp is a cool piece of history.

You definitely can't go wrong with a stainless tikka in any caliber.
As far as caliber goes I'd lean more towards the 6.5cm since you're limited to .24cal and above.
If you're really going to shooting high volume where the extra dime over 308 is going to matter, go with the 308. Can't go wrong with either really and for the distances that you will be shooting they're almost identical ballistics. The 30-06 isn't going to out shine the 308 until 400+yds and ammo is not nearly as cheap.
I would definitely give Arizona Airguns a call and get some sportsmatch rings, I think T048c is the model for 1" medium rings for the leupold you already have.
If you did want to get a new scope though put a 6x swfa on backorder. I think they're still on sale for $210.

OP
W

wilallin

FNG
Thanks again all for the input.

Sounds like the barrel I'm imagining that can handle long strings of fire and be lightweight doesn't really exist. Reckon i can do some 22 shooting or some pushups or something while i wait for cool down. My range is about 5 minutes away by 4-wheeler so i can be out there more often for less time if that's what it's gotta be.

I won't be ready for purchase until May or June. I'm a gardener by trade so checks are slim and seldom this time of year. So that gives me some time to think on caliber.

Sounds like for my purposes a Tikka in .308 or 6.5CM is the ticket. At a 10cpr difference that's only 50 bucks a year if i shoot 500 rounds. Less recoil vs greater frontal diameter...much to consider

OP
W

wilallin

FNG
You'll see about 100ish fps increases with a 30-06 over 308 at most barrel lengths, but that might not matter a lot at distances under 500 yards for deer/bear sized game. You'd see it pay off if you ever wanted to hunt larger game at longer distance.

Your comment about the Mosin Nagant brought back bittersweet memories from my youth. 7.62x54R can really put some sting into that wooden buttstock. Plus the hammer and sickle stamp is a cool piece of history.
That Mosin beat the tar outta me as a pup! Had a ~19" barrel i cut down with a hack saw and crowned with a round head brass screw and some lapping compound. Put a 4x japanese Weaver scout scope on it and went to town on some 2-liter bottles. Really gave me an appreciation for more refined firearms not made by communists haha

PNWGATOR

WKR
Yep…lots to consider.

The only reason I wait for anything to ‘cool’ on any of my rifles during any shooting session is when the mirage from my suppressor is so extreme I can not get a sight picture.

Again, highly recommend reading the threads linked earlier before you make any purchase.

OP
W

wilallin

FNG
Yep…lots to consider.

The only reason I wait for anything to ‘cool’ on any of my rifles during any shooting session is when the mirage from my suppressor is so extreme I can not get a sight picture.

Again, highly recommend reading the threads linked earlier before you make any purchase.
Absolutely, perusing them as we speak. Had actually pored over the 6.5 thread for hours prior to making this post

BLJ

WKR
223 is legal in WV. I believe the law you’re referring to involves the use of pistols for hunting. This is a picture of the regulations in regards to buck rifle season. A1EEFCA0-40F6-40CE-B480-1A2D1245BDC0.jpeg

With that being said. I’d get a Tikka 243/6.5/308. Good factory ammo is way more available for theses rounds than the 223.
I’ve used the 223/77TMK with success. But, if you’re shooting factory ammo, 223 may not be the answer at the moment.

+1 on the Tikka. I shoot a t3x veil wideland cerakoted 308 and consistently get sub-moa groups with decent otc ammo. Shooting 1/2moa with reloads. Can’t go wrong with 308 or 6.5. Ammo is cheap and available everywhere in multiple choices so you can find a load your rifle likes.

BjornF16

WKR
I believe 73 ELD-M as well as 62 Gold Dots have both been recommended as good alternatives to 77 TMK.

That said, a Tikka T3X Lite Stainless in .243 would be a great setup shooting 95 gr NBT.

RedSnow

Lil-Rokslider
Savage 110 would be a really nice shooter. I'v killed a pile of deer with a Savage 111 in 30-06. Out of the box with factory ammo bullets touch at 100 yards. Deer usually die on the spot.

LoggerDan

WKR
Get to a pawnshop and look for a well worn remin 700, Ruger 77 or a Winchester 70, in 7 rem mag or 30’06. barrel is already broken in, cheaper than new, and you won’t feel bad about dinging it, American made. Well built, not economy. Save your money for gear, not your gun.