What new foods are you adding this year?

TJ

WKR
Those Next Mile meals are loaded with saturated fat, I was surprised how much when I checked them out.

Looks like they’ve got good choices though, if the fat doesn’t bother you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With a Keto diet that's what you want, healthy fats.

Low carb, moderate protien.

Poser

WKR
With a Keto diet that's what you want, healthy fats.

Low carb, moderate protien.

Performance wise, I run much better off carbs than I do ketonic, but I’m thinking I’d just add some instant rice to these meals before rehydrating them. Fat, in the quantities needed for optimal performance, is always hard to come by in the Backcountry, so between these meals and a Heather’s Choice breakfast (+ instant Oates), I think I’d be pretty well optimized. I have a (brutally tough) bikepacking trip coming up in Aug, so I’ll give it a spin.

bsnedeker

WKR
Performance wise, I run much better off carbs than I do ketonic, but I’m thinking I’d just add some instant rice to these meals before rehydrating them. Fat, in the quantities needed for optimal performance, is always hard to come by in the Backcountry, so between these meals and a Heather’s Choice breakfast (+ instant Oates), I think I’d be pretty well optimized. I have a (brutally tough) bikepacking trip coming up in Aug, so I’ll give it a spin.

I'm with you, not trying to be Keto in the backcountry. My daily breakfast and snacks are heavy in carbs and protien, that's what I want for fuel during the day. Then at the end of the day I want something full of protein and fat to burn a bit slower to keep me warm at night. Of course, I know basically nothing about nutrition so this is probably all in my head, but it seems to work well for me in practice.

TJ

WKR

This is my first season on a Keto diet so I'll see how it ends up. Scouting trips have been good so far but a week long grind may take it's toll. The rice might be a good idea.

Good luck on the trip. Let us know how it works out.

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider

Squirrels

WKR
Snickers and Paydays....the big ones made for sharing in which I will not share with anyone except maybe a bear...and that's only if he looks like he wants it more than me

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for posting the next mile meals. They look perfect.

I am going to try and mix up my meals a little more. I really like the looks of the Next Mile meals, especially adding some instant rice, couscous, or idahoans to them.

Poser

WKR
Best thing ever! We discovered powdered butter. Good ingredients none of the crap. I add it to everything we pack in my coffee, my meals! Gives you that extra added fat and taste delicious in everything, I mean who doesn’t like butter on everything?!?

We find it on amazon Hoosier Hill Farm Real Butter powder, Hormone.free, 2 lbs Amazon.com : Hoosier Hill Farm Real Butter powder, Hormone.free, 2 lbs : Grocery & Gourmet Food

That’s a good find. I didn’t know anyone made a quality version of this. McCann’s instant steel cut Oates + protein powder and this powdered butter and you have a legitimate breakfast: Carbs, Protein and Fat of legitimate quality at a legitimate Backcountry weight.

Rokslide is way ahead of the curve when it comes to nutrition. You look at what virtually any other Backcountry user group is eating and it’s not even in the same realm In Terms of overall quality and/or macros.

WesternBounty

Lil-Rokslider
That’s a good find. I didn’t know anyone made a quality version of this. McCann’s instant steel cut Oates + protein powder and this powdered butter and you have a legitimate breakfast: Carbs, Protein and Fat of legitimate quality at a legitimate Backcountry weight.

Rokslide is way ahead of the curve when it comes to nutrition. You look at what virtually any other Backcountry user group is eating and it’s not even in the same realm In Terms of overall quality and/or macros.

Thanks!! It has been like our golden nugget find! It’s lightweight and adds the much needed fat on those backpacking trips and hunts! I don’t even pack coffee creamer just add this butter in my coffee. Have literally added it to about everything and it’s sooo good in everything so far, but who doesn’t like butter 🤷🏼*♀️ they also make a powdered peanut butter that is legislate ingredients and good too!

Thanks for posting the next mile meals. They look perfect.

I like these for the fat content, but I will add my carbs to make it a sweet set up for my caloric intake needs. I wont go Keto personally, just doesn't work for me under extreme physical conditions. My metabolism requires more. But these seem to be a decent platform to build from and add my choice of carbs to. With that said, I now have carbs, fat and protein for my meals. My snacks will be a whole separate story
:)

I will add I am dehydrating 2 meals myself, so I will add 3 of these Next Mile meals to finish off my 5 day set up.
I dehydrate my ow chili (no heart burn) and Pepper steak (not spicy as it may sound)

Smash

Lil-Rokslider
I like these for the fat content, but I will add my carbs to make it a sweet set up for my caloric intake needs. I wont go Keto personally, just doesn't work for me under extreme physical conditions. My metabolism requires more. But these seem to be a decent platform to build from and add my choice of carbs to. With that said, I now have carbs, fat and protein for my meals. My snacks will be a whole separate story

I will add I am dehydrating 2 meals myself, so I will add 3 of these Next Mile meals to finish off my 5 day set up.
I dehydrate my ow chili (no heart burn) and Pepper steak (not spicy as it may sound)

I was just exited by the options and flavors especially the thought of tossing it on some tortillas.

I was just exited by the options and flavors especially the thought of tossing it on some tortillas.

Exactly, I agree

my point- these, for me, are a nice set up and change from MH, and they allow me to add my own carbs like tortillas with their taco dinners.

rgrx1276

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using Packitgourmet meals for lunch and dinner...they have some good chicken salad meals that are easy for lunch that don’t require boiling a lot of water...also this year I’m adding packets of coconut oil and a container of ghee to add to meals for fat and calories and both together is good in coffee also...other items are macadamia nuts, single serving cheese blocks, tortillas, peanut butter singles...breakfast I still like mountain house...they have the breakfast down in my opinion
Those look great! I'll ad a few of their meals to my list.

Squirrels

WKR
I'm going to try my hand and dehydrating my own dinners this year.
Doing a cold cereal mix a member suggested with things I like to eat normally.
In general I am taking stuff I eat when not out hunting, just making sure the cal/oz is 120 or above. Last year I packed a lot of stuff I didn't normally eat and meal time was blah for me, even on the things I tried at home first and thought they would do. The breakfast meals I took last year I did not even try before I went, I couldn't stomach more than 2 bites of the first one I tried. Rest stayed in the pack and got sold when I got home.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
for milk look at powdered whole milk- more calories and a much better taste; many larger supermarkets carry it under the brand of Nido- if it isn't with the other powdered milk, check the hispanic aisle or look on amazon

also Peak brand, both are offered in whole milk

Poser

WKR
Thanks!! It has been like our golden nugget find! It’s lightweight and adds the much needed fat on those backpacking trips and hunts! I don’t even pack coffee creamer just add this butter in my coffee. Have literally added it to about everything and it’s sooo good in everything so far, but who doesn’t like butter 🤷🏼*♀️ they also make a powdered peanut butter that is legislate ingredients and good too!

I got this butter in. What’s the best way to store it long term? Any reason to put in the freezer? 2kbs should last a good while.

Poser

WKR
I did a 2 night trip on the CO Trail on my bike and did a little experimenting. I’ll note that I need a lot more carbs for biking than I do for hunting where I eat a lot more fat during the day.

Breakfast:

2 packages of McCann’s Instant Steel Cut Oates + 2 scoops of protein powder and some of the powdered butter discussed above.

-Coffee + powdered butter and a WA Energy & Focus.

I don’t really eat lunch on bikepack trips -I just set an alarm for 40 minutes and eat a gel shot or honey stinger when the alarm goes off. I’m in and out of an anaerobic state so much that I can’t really digest solid food effectively. I will try and sneak in a packet of peanut butter and a protein bar when I have a long downhill section, but it doesn’t always sound appealing either, especially when I am overheated.

Dinner:

-Alpine Aire peppered Beef and Rice.
I added some powdered butter and I added a little more of it to the leftover stock at the bottom of the bag.

-Alpine Aire Three Berry Crumble + 1 scoop of protein powder.

—-

The McCann’s instant Oates were appealing and satisfying. However, The factory packing wasn’t large enough to mix in the protein powder. I ended up using a cup, which is fine. I eat steel cut Oates 6 mornings a week at home. They are a great source of carbs, however, the “old fashioned” style seem to take me awhile to digest. The instant version were noticeably faster. My perceived satiation was that I got plenty of carbs, fat & protein to get the day started and I ran off that breakfast for 2 hours before taking my first gel shot and I didn’t perceive my glycogen stores as depleted. (I just didn’t want to wait until I felt depleted).

The butter really kicked up that dinner and made it pretty close in macros to a Heather’s Choice meal. 620 calories without the added fat and 28 grams of protein. Unto itself, those are pedestrian macros, but still better than most MH meals or similar. The added fat really kicks it up both in taste and macros. I added more butter to the leftover stock to drink and that was freakin’ delicious. I didn’t pack it this weekend, but I’m planning on adding some bone broth protein powder to any beef meal in the future. It got chilly in the evening at treeline and I felt really warm inside after this meal.

Three Berry Crumble is by far the best dehydrated desert that I have tried. 400 calories for 3.75 oz package weight. Only 2g of protein, so I added a scoop of whey + more butter and the result was delicious and satisfying. This put dinner at somewhere in the realm of 1200 calories and a little over 50g of protein (only about 100g of protein total for that day, but that could easily be kicked up to 150 for hunting when I eat a real lunch or to 125 by adding bone broth protein powder.)

My guts didn’t complain about any of the above. I also didn’t notice any excessive gas, though I do always get a little bloat above 10,500 feet which I dislike only because it makes me feel fat.

I am willing to carry more food weight than ultralight ethos prescribe because I feel, recover and perform so much better then I do being grossly unserved. Ultralight philosophy is ever evolving. What I wish to avoid at all costs is the feeling of being completely “wasted” at the end of the day, or, worse, at the beginning of the next day. Besides sleep (and discounting strength and conditioning preparation), eating sufficiently is the variable. I’ve found that carrying food more in the 2-2.5 lbs daily range gives a greater return than than the 1lbs offset of going lighter. So, I keep looking for ways to shave weight off of gear and better tweak food intake, even if that means adding more weight on that end.