Any New ideas for backpacking food/snacks?

FlyGuy

WKR
Pretty soon I’ll be putting together food bags for my September elk hunt and I’m looking for any new ideas for snacks. I’m pretty set on hot meals (breakfast & dinner), but it’s the ~ 1000 calories/day of snacks that I’m looking to get feedback on. I tend to burn out pretty fast on foods after one season if they aren’t really tasty (like green belly bars, probars, etc).

I did order some of those Kram PB&J snacks to try, heard about it on a GoHUNT podcast. https://kramnutrition.com/

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Pretty soon I’ll be putting together food bags for my September elk hunt and I’m looking for any new ideas for snacks. I’m pretty set on hot meals (breakfast & dinner), but it’s the ~ 1000 calories/day of snacks that I’m looking to get feedback on. I tend to burn out pretty fast on foods after one season if they aren’t really tasty (like green belly bars, probars, etc).

I did order some of those Kram PB&J snacks to try, heard about it on a GoHUNT podcast. https://kramnutrition.com/
We dry awesome summer fruits in the dehydrator- pineapple is the BEST, pair or mix dried fruits with some nuts or seeds and voila instant backpack ready pick-me-up!

bowkill

FNG
I'm sure you'll all think I'm nuts, but sacrificing a little weight and bringing an actual apple is worth it to me. To be able to eat an actual fruit when all you're eating is dehydrated or condensed foods is quite a treat. Obviously it's not ideal for backpacking in several miles, but it's also not that big of a deal for the reward when you get to eat a nice, crispy apple.

After mid September lots of years we usually start to have some cold/rainy/snowy days.

Costco has some instant Pho Noddle bowls. I think th brand is snap dragon. It’s only a couple hundred calories.

If it looks like we will have some weather like this before I head out in a 7-10 day backpack hunt, I usually throw 1 or 2 in my pack. After getting up we’ll before daylight, hunting in the cold/rain/snow for 5-6 hours, a warm bowl of Pho is a pretty good snack

BDRam16

WKR
A tortilla with a serving of Nutella and peanut butter. Possibly with two strips of precooked bacon if I’m feeling spicy. It’s a TON of calories and super light weight.

I also love the stroopwaffles. I found ones at Costco that are two mini ones in a pack and I do a Justin’s nut butter on them. Great pick me up.

I also do a bunch of Albanese gummy bears and the honey stinger or GU gels.

BDRam16

WKR
Nothing new. Bacon/honey sandwich, apple, 3 Lara bars.
I stopped doing honey because it seemed to be the one thing that would seep through ziplock bags. Not sure if I had some bad bags or something but I haven’t had an issue since I cut honey out.

Jaquomo

WKR
Scoop of protein powder, an Instant Breakfast, scoop of powdered milk in a quart freezer Ziplok, with a straw cut to size. Add water and shake, and it's an instant protein shake. Add whatever extras you want for more boost.

Adams almond butter with honey(comes in individual serving size packets, and a cinnamon raisin bagel vacuum sealed(compresses it down a lot if bringing one for each day) this is a real hi calorie/filling snack. More of a mid meal for me.

Marble

WKR
My favorite snacks are the following:

Stroop waffles
Payday candy bar
Bobo bars, maple pecan, coconut and oatmeal.
Swedish fish
Trail mix with m&m's
Jerky
Spicy chex bar mix with peanuts and a bunch of other salty spicy stuff.

I do eat the green belly bars too.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

ianpadron

WKR
If I'm not hitting 3k+ calories a day at home I start shriveling up, so I really struggled early on with backpacking meals.

Have got things pretty dialed now and some of the gamechangers include:

- cheese, sausage, and crackers. 100 calories per slice of cheese, keeps great in cool weather. Get the good stuff. Cured sausage lasts for weeks in the bush.
- homemade calorie bombs. My wife makes these awesome organic peanut butter, honey, coconut flake, oatmeal, chocolate, flax seed balls that have like 200 calories per serving. 1000x better than any bar.
- trailmix. I add banana chips to a store bought mix, super high calorie.
- I add olive oil packets to whatever I can. Adds calories and fatty meals keep you warmer.
- granola with evaporated milk+scoop of protein. Best way to start the day.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
Watching this!
I still bring pro bars, but am burned out on bars really. I've been using dried fruit, summer sausage or salami with cheese, but have started just carrying a stove and a dehydrated meal for the day.

Attachments

• 20220916_134005.jpg
    20220916_134005.jpg
    578 KB · Views: 57
Big Nate you’re the first one I’ve seen pack a stove and meal. I never think about weight when it comes to food. It’s your food man! I would never force feed myself something because it weighs less.

I eat elk jerky throughout the day. A little here and there when I stop. I used to take trail mix with the m&ms but I don’t anymore. Instead I take a candy bar or two for sweets and I’ll have a big bag of cashews or pistachios. Fruit. Nothing that can’t handle getting beat up. Apples or oranges. Pairs and bananas no! A chunk of summer sausage and cheese. Maybe some hot stix with cheese in them.

If it’s cold out or raining which means I’ll be sitting for hours I will pack the Jetboil and a dehydrated meal. A hot meal like that sure is nice mid day.