What new foods are you adding this year?

RoJo

WKR
I think for a shorter hunt, where fast and very light are the top priorities, cookless definitely has some merit

I tried it on an adventure race, where fast and light are priorities, but the following year went back to hot coffee in the morning and a hot meal in the evening, BUT I won't totally rule it out for the right hunt

Agreed, I think it could be an option for some people in some situations. I won't know if it is for me without trying it. If a ti pot is used, a person could still heat water with a small wood fire if they were craving something hot.

I have seen this topic discussed on other forums, and I find it curious how some people recoil in horror at the idea.

JWP58

WKR
Agreed, I think it could be an option for some people in some situations. I won't know if it is for me without trying it. If a ti pot is used, a person could still heat water with a small wood fire if they were craving something hot.

I have seen this topic discussed on other forums, and I find it curious how some people recoil in horror at the idea.

Horror? Hardly. But if I was deadset on not use a backpacking stove, I would find something other than instant potatoes, oatmeal, and couscous. But that's just me.

Maybe look into Brady Miller's stoveless food list, it looked pretty good

bsnedeker

WKR
I'm adding Next Mile Meals to my dinners....the Chicken and Broccoli meal has crazy good nutrition numbers and the one I tried was delicious! I'm taking three of those with me in addition to my standard mix of mountain house and ramen bombs for dinners. Haven't tried the other flavors as the specs on the Chicken and Broccoli were so much better.

I’m trying out some Heathers Choice, Hawk Vittles, and Off Grid this year. I also started dehydrating fruits to take as snacks. Might try dehydrating my own meals next year.

TJ

WKR
I'm adding Next Mile Meals to my dinners....the Chicken and Broccoli meal has crazy good nutrition numbers and the one I tried was delicious! I'm taking three of those with me in addition to my standard mix of mountain house and ramen bombs for dinners. Haven't tried the other flavors as the specs on the Chicken and Broccoli were so much better.

I'll be using Next Mile Meals this year as well. I have tried a couple and like them a lot.

mvmnts

WKR
Adding Green belly bars this year, really enjoy them. I’m going to do them for my evening meals because I hate having to cook and rehydrate meals in camp after getting back after dark. Just want to eat and go to bed.

Love these! I have them for lunch usually. I have a hot meal every night. But breakfast and lunch is bars and snacks throughout the day.

I can't believe nobody has mentioned epic bars. They are fantastic! They come in a bunch of flavors as well. Chicken, bison, venision, prok, beef, and salmon. I eat at least two a day!

Never heard of Next Mile Melas but they look apealing. A little pricy but looks like you get more meat and better ingredients. Anyone else tried them?

Trial153

WKR
I am going to do a big order of hawk vittles. I am freaking sick of mountain house.

bsnedeker

WKR
I can't believe nobody has mentioned epic bars. They are fantastic! They come in a bunch of flavors as well. Chicken, bison, venision, prok, beef, and salmon. I eat at least two a day!

I'm curious: What's the benefit of these over regular beef jerky? They look really good, but my regular beef and venison jerky is pretty dang good too! Do they taste better, have better consistency, better nutrition?

SLDMTN

Super Moderator
Staff member
Hawk Vittles are pretty tasty. Had some spoil on me though so I'd recommend ordering them fresh. The bags seemed to have lost their vacuum sealing and I didn't put much thought into it. Bad thing to find out when you're a LONG ways from home.

Don't overlook Heather's Choice Packaroons. If you like coconut, Packaroons are awesome little energy boosters. She has some great meals as well but I can't say I'm crazy about the taste of the buckwheat breakfasts. That said, I wolf them down and have found they really are great fuel to start your day.

My only beef with dehydrated vs freeze dried is that I don't enjoy crunchy bits in my meals. I've never had a crunchy Mtn House and I don't have to wait to eat it.

If you want to bump calories, take a ziplock bag of sugar packets and dump a few into any meal that can be sweeter. A little bottle of oil doesn't weigh anything and boosts calories as well. Plus if/when you kill something, you have oil to help you cook fresh meat.

*Side Note/Plug: Heather and Brad (Heather's Choice) are openly hunters and are very down to earth. From a put your money into companies that support hunters standpoint, they're very tough to beat. Plus they're from Alaska :cool:*

Last edited:
I'm curious: What's the benefit of these over regular beef jerky? They look really good, but my regular beef and venison jerky is pretty dang good too! Do they taste better, have better consistency, better nutrition?

They are a bar, not jerky. So they don't have the same bite that jerky has. It is much more smooth. Similar to a bite from a summer sausage. They are made with high quality ingredients and taste fantastic. I would say that consistency is great, as every one I have had has tasted like the others. My favorites are the salmon, pork, and bison. I like regular jerky as well, but really like these for on the go high quality protein. I can find them at my local King Soopers and Sprouts. Sprouts has all of the flavors, while Kings has just a few. If you don't like them, then no harm no foul. Their story is pretty amazing. Former vegetarians turned into meat eaters because they weren't getting the proper nutrients.

Looking into the Next Mile meals, smaller lighter, and allows me to add my carbs and stuff I want. This and my own meals will easily get me to a 5 day jaunt and keep me satisfied while also staying light.

Trial153

WKR
Along the lines of epic bars ..
Tanka makes meat bars that get great reviews.

i.php

Tried this on a backpack fishing trip with the wife last week.
Tasty, cheap and 700+ cals. Not bad.

bsnedeker

WKR
i.php

Tried this on a backpack fishing trip with the wife last week.
Tasty, cheap and 700+ cals. Not bad.

Add Ramen to that and you have the world-famous Ramen Bomb (I use spam instead of bacon)! That will make up at least 3 of my 10 day backpacking menu.

Those Next Mile meals are loaded with saturated fat, I was surprised how much when I checked them out.

Looks like they’ve got good choices though, if the fat doesn’t bother you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk