What is “backcountry” to you?

If I say I'm hunting the backcountry then I got there with camp on my back and hunting from my spike camp because it's too far to day hunt from the road. If I'm hunting from the truck/base camp it's simply day hunting.

tttoadman

WKR
Backcountry is when a couple guys on horses stop and say "wow, you're back here a ways.". I hunt nothing but wilderness, but some of my favorite OR wilderness you can still see and hear the big rigs climbing the mountain pass in the distance. Love the adventure part of it, even if the pack out is brutal. Its all part of the adventure to me. I could care less about how far it is. I just like to get way from the crowd. People you run into when back a few miles tend to be like minded people making a few minutes of great coversation.

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
I like the definition of anywhere not practical to day hunt. Or anyplace I’ve ever hunted when telling the story after a few drinks 😉

DeePow

FNG
Backcountry is when a couple guys on horses stop and say "wow, you're back here a ways.". I hunt nothing but wilderness, but some of my favorite OR wilderness you can still see and hear the big rigs climbing the mountain pass in the distance. Love the adventure part of it, even if the pack out is brutal. Its all part of the adventure to me. I could care less about how far it is. I just like to get way from the crowd. People you run into when back a few miles tend to be like minded people making a few minutes of great coversation.
Here is a question I have: what are you willing to share with the people you come across?

I started archery hunting six years ago and was fortunate enough that my brother-in-law shared his zone with me before being stationed in AK the year I started hunting. Few people go to this zone and a majority only hunt it for one day. Over the six years, only one duo that I have encountered has been there repeatedly. I’m always friendly with the people I come across but pretty reluctant to give up info about the elk I have seen. Am I the ass?

Here is a question I have: what are you willing to share with the people you come across?

I started archery hunting six years ago and was fortunate enough that my brother-in-law shared his zone with me before being stationed in AK the year I started hunting. Few people go to this zone and a majority only hunt it for one day. Over the six years, only one duo that I have encountered has been there repeatedly. I’m always friendly with the people I come across but pretty reluctant to give up info about the elk I have seen. Am I the ass?
Most people that one will encounter in tough to access places aren't looking for a handout. Those that are won't get any game changing information from me but it always pays to be respectful and courteous.

Toledo

FNG
To me, it's simply anywhere that I can go explore with little chance of seeing someone else.

I have hard to access rivers that aren't far from civilization that qualify.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
I think accessibility to the area in question is a big (and very broad) factor.

The ease of finding and rescuing a lost or injured person, as well as getting them to hospital afterwards could also probably be a benchmark.
This year I felt like I was in the backcountry after rolling down the mountain packing out an elk. Tried to stand after rolling and fell over as my ankle was shot. My wife prayed over it and then we discussed how to get me down 2k vertical and 3.5 miles to jeep, then 1.5 hours to pavement and 1.5 hours to hospital.

I said worse case, glad we have Life Flight Card. Thankfully 4 painkillers, Leukatape and good mountaineering boots tide as tight as they would go got me down.

WKR
There’s a group of guys here locally who routinely do these Fatbike/Packraft combo trips to Alaska that are definitely in the “backcountry” and they are using bikes. They probably push and carry them for as many hours as they ride them, but they are off trail and super remote.
I figured something like that was coming.

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Back country is where a lot of adult onset hunters and instabro’s aspire to be. They seem to find each other more often than not during the quest to “go in deep” and come out with light packs.

I just go places where there’s elk and no people. It could be next to an international airport and I’d be just fine. .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I go where the elk are, I also love that I could walk for days on end and not cross private property. To be able to walk in any direction and not worry about looking at onx, that is fuel for my soul.

Shraggs

WKR
Really interesting the differing answers! Folks ask me what I do and I find it’s hard to answer in a way those that don’t can grasp.

One thing I feel is backcountry hunting - it has risks, should I get injured or something help isn’t obvious to anyone but me and I’m responsible to make the right decisions, be prepared snd take action.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
This is almost like asking "what is long range bow shooting to you"? Some guys will say anything over 30 yards, some will say 40+, some will say 60+, etc, etc. When you step out of the truck, are you in the "backcountry"? In some places I would say "yes". But even if it was a "no", then is 100 yards in backcountry? 1 mile in? If someone says 5 miles in, does that mean that 4.75 miles is not backcountry???? At what particular step do you cross over that imaginary "backcountry" boundary? And what makes the next step any different than where you were the previous step?

There are many places that I can drive a truck to that should easily qualify as backcountry. But if two other trucks are there is that now "not" backcountry because someone else is there? Or is it just a group of guys or trucks.......in the backcountry? Same for packing in 5 miles.....is it backcountry because you have the place to yourself? And would it be considered backcountry still if you got back there and there were four other camps?

Last edited:

BrandonH

FNG
Here in the Adirondacks of NY, if i can get a mile off the road- i wont have to worry about other hunters. But real backcountry to me is over an hour walk from the truck..

Thover

FNG
After the sheep hunt I went on last fall, anywhere that takes more than a day to get out. Where the sheep was shot, it’s only around 30 air miles but it’s an hour drive, 4-5 hours on horses, and a full day of hiking just to get into the area.