What if the federal government decided to start selling off swaths off public land?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
I think we wont agree. But here is my perspective, lets say that my topic is controversial. I think that a conversation exploring the possibility of public lands being sold is directly relevant to a forum on hunting. where discussing an attempted assignation on any politician has no relevance at all. I think at bare minimum what ive mentioned this message is reasonable if not totally agreeable.

I think we wont agree. But here is my perspective, lets say that my topic is controversial. I think that a conversation exploring the possibility of public lands being sold is directly relevant to a forum on hunting. where discussing an attempted assignation on any politician has no relevance at all. I think at bare minimum what ive mentioned this message is reasonable if not totally agreeable.
There is nobody on here that would be for “What if the federal government decided to start selling off swaths off public land?”.

Therefore, it’s a troll post.

Ive never heard that explanation of it. thanks boss. Edit: are you suggesting that Texas has so consistently miss managed their budget and the lack PL in Texas is a direct result of that? That seems plausible but I feel like there’s more to unpack there.
I didn't use mismanaged...lots a reason states budger might go into deficit, wildfire, hurricanes, covid, ect. Many states have a balanced budget law..each state has its own reasons, history is your friend.

TX was it's own nation before it joined the union so all its public lands were state lands when it became a state.

SWOHTR

WKR
I'll add this to my reading list. I don't mean to say that we should take their approach but using that idea as a basis to explore the thought.
You and I are in alignment. There was plenty in the book I rolled my eyes at, the outdoor play part was not one of them.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
I didn't use mismanaged...lots a reason states budger might go into deficit, wildfire, hurricanes, covid, ect. Many states have a balanced budget law..each state has its own reasons, history is your friend.

TX was its own nation before it joined the union so all its public lands were state lands when it became a state.
fair point I didn’t take that part of the equation into consideration.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
There is nobody on here that would be for “What if the federal government decided to start selling off swaths off public land?”.

Therefore, it’s a troll post.
You would be surprised how often people are in favor of things that would have a direct negative impact on them.

CJohnson

WKR
I dont think i made that comparison at all. objectively by every measure there is no individual state in the east or south that even has a comparable acreage to any state with public land in the west.

There's more to the value of land than the acreage. I'd rather have 10 acres of land with trees, water, and wildlife than 10,000 acres of sand dunes. That's a personal preference though, not an objective measure.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
There's more to the value of land than the acreage. I'd rather have 10 acres of land with trees, water, and wildlife than 10,000 acres of sand dunes. That's a personal preference though, not an objective measure.
I get that. The issue of public land in the east is a foundational issue which I acknowledge cannot be undone. But going forward
The tax payer should not be in favor of getting rid of public land.

KenLee

WKR
But, there school systems have lots of money. Idaho public schools do not, mainly due to the fact we are 66% public land, so the local taxing districts don't have as much of a tax base. So large swath's of public land do not allow the local communites much tax base, but do allow lots of outdoor recreation. There are pro's and cons to all sides of the equation.
Ag taxes are dirt cheap, so I don't think there is a huge loss in property tax dollars...unless there is a significant need for development and houses.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are so many twist and turns here that I am getting car sick. Sometimes I just want to be a dumb American and enjoy the massive amount of opportunities we have.

I fall into the group of being happy but not satisfied but I don't lose much sleep over things like this. If our public lands were cut in half overnight the sun would still rise in the morning and I will find a place to enjoy life and perhaps chase some ungulates.

I’m against it primarily because it would boost supply and right now my property as well as other’s continues to appreciate because “they ain’t makin no more land”.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
There are so many twist and turns here that I am getting car sick. Sometimes I just want to be a dumb American and enjoy the massive amount of opportunities we have.

I fall into the group of being happy but not satisfied but I don't lose much sleep over things like this. If our public lands were cut in half overnight the sun would still rise in the morning and I will find a place to enjoy life and perhaps chase some ungulates.
Fair point. Though I think in the long run it reduces the accessibility to nature that would spawn more outdoorsmen in the future which would also intern reduce going outside to something only accessible to the rich. What is the future of hunting if hunting is only a sport for the rich.

IdahoSwede

Lil-Rokslider
Sweden is larger than California by land mass with 1/4 of the people. That’s why that system can work. Also the people have far less divergent worldviews (when compared with USA). There is no chance the Nordic system of private land widely available for public use would work well here.

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
@Loo.wii

Consider this...

The Pittman-Robertson Act brought in funding in the amount $536MM for 2021. My guess is that increased for both 2022 and 2023.

While this fund was not created specifically for public land protection -protecting these lands is most certainly part of the equation. If we have less public land we have fewer hunters and fewer guns and ammo and all the stuff that satellites from hunting/shooting. This correlates to less $ in the PR ACT. I don't see that happening.

Regarding your displeasure with the east and south portions of the US (from your original post)-you might be surprised to see how much land is public on the right coast. Of course it is not a major rival to the western US, but there are places to roam for sure.

New York state ranks 13th in public land percentage at 37.10%. Florida is 14th at 29.20%. Can't get much more east and south than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.