What if the federal government decided to start selling off swaths off public land?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CJohnson

WKR
What defines "poorly managed?"

Public land is managed for multiple use. So it may be poorly managed for one thing while being well managed for another.
Local to me, it’s lack of any kind of timber harvesting, controlled burns, etc. Public dove fields go unplanted or halfway planted. Feral pigs destroy other tracts, but DNR won’t allow people to hunt them outside of the hunting seasons for other game and they put forth a fairly poor effort in trapping them.

I agree that sometimes there can be conflicting goals based on the user group, but sometimes it’s just the lack of any kind of management that defines “poorly managed”.

WTFJohn

WKR
Id agree. Seeing his threads that he starts, it's all to get attention.

All of his posts are for attention, not just threads he starts.

Posting a picture (quoting a post with a map showing exact locations) of elk, in a unit number thread, for a unit that burned across it's majority and proclaiming there are plenty elk is a competitor for dumbest ways to burn a spot I've ever seen.

Zero comprehension of the ramifications of his actions.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
All of his posts are for attention, not just threads he starts.

Posting a picture (quoting a post with a map showing exact locations) of elk, in a unit number thread, for a unit that burned across it's majority and proclaiming there are plenty elk is a competitor for dumbest ways to burn a spot I've ever seen.

Zero comprehension of the ramifications of his actions.
Im not sure how asking tough questions that are directly relevant to hunting is attention seeking. I also dont understand how sharing my experience in an area is a bad thing. the burn unit in question is massive. I didn't give coordinates. And im sharing personal anecdotes to possibly assist my fellow man. F*** me right.

Koda_

Lil-Rokslider
One of my favorite things about western states are the large swaths of uninterrupted public lands with diverse ecosystems and terrain . My disdain of the east and south is partially due to the fact not much public land exists. Monday morning quarterbacking about a hundred or so years too late i think the lack of public land in the east and south is a huge disservice to all Americans. There seems to be mulling about the possibility of federal land being sold off whether its through more covert means like natural resource leases or being sold out right to arbitrary private land owners. I would personally be staunchly against selling off public lands. What is your opinion on the subject?

The discussion that prompted this conversation was with a friend of mine who is from Sweden. According to my understanding the cultural standard there and a few of their neighboring countries is although land can be privately owned, it is for the use of all people. So as long as you're not being an Ahole no one is going to bother you if you're hiking or camping on their massive swath of land. Now i know the American cultural and political perspective/context is almost contrary to this perspective but the spirit of this perspective is visible in efforts by some states to allow corner crossing etc. If public lands were sold off would you be in favor of stipulations that would allow use of private lands for public activities specifically on lands that were formally public immediately before the land was sold?

Off the top of my head i don't remember the word for that Swedish cultural standard referenced above but i will include it in my next update.
Late to the discussion but just exercising my vote to keep public lands public. Id even go so far as to take back private corporate timber lands, I'm not against logging but let them lease the timber harvests like in National Forest lands.

Ive heard of the private land culture in Europe and while it sounds nice remember its an entirely different culture there of nomadic diasporas for over a 1000 years where the US is relatively new. Perhaps we will slip into that mold in another 500years or so.

Im not sure how asking tough questions that are directly relevant to hunting is attention seeking. I also dont understand how sharing my experience in an area is a bad thing. the burn unit in question is massive. I didn't give coordinates. And im sharing personal anecdotes to possibly assist my fellow man. F*** me right.
The problem is you just don’t understand. Or you actually do and you’re playing coy, looking for attention. Probably that one.

WTFJohn

WKR

Go outside and touch grass, this isn't a tough question and the fact that you think it is says a lot about you.

You don't understand how a large unit that is now majority moonscape would concentrate the animals remaining down into smaller areas? And you don't see how quoting a picture of a map that had a mountain name on it, and saying "ELK HERE" would degrade the quality of hunting even more in that area?

You can share your personal experiences without making it impossible for another person to recreate that experience. That spot you burned was someone's quick spot down the road where they could take their kids after work, or it's the spot that they got their first bull, or any number of other things; and you put it on the internet for eternity so that anyone else that goes there to enjoy it will be joined by others. F*** them right.

IDVortex

WKR
Go outside and touch grass, this isn't a tough question and the fact that you think it is says a lot about you.

You don't understand how a large unit that is now majority moonscape would concentrate the animals remaining down into smaller areas? And you don't see how quoting a picture of a map that had a mountain name on it, and saying "ELK HERE" would degrade the quality of hunting even more in that area?

You can share your personal experiences without making it impossible for another person to recreate that experience. That spot you burned was someone's quick spot down the road where they could take their kids after work, or it's the spot that they got their first bull, or any number of other things; and you put it on the internet for eternity so that anyone else that goes there to enjoy it will be joined by others. F*** them right.
Well, if it doesn't hurt me, it doesn't matter.

Besides, I helped 4 people get elk by posting a spot online, so I'm a good person. Granted the other folks ehose hunted it forever now are in a battle with a bunch of other folks. But I feel good.

Short sightedness is destroying out country.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
Well, if it doesn't hurt me, it doesn't matter.

Besides, I helped 4 people get elk by posting a spot online, so I'm a good person. Granted the other folks ehose hunted it forever now are in a battle with a bunch of other folks. But I feel good.

Short sightedness is destroying out country.
Welcome to Rokslide where saying I’ve seen elk is a crime. Guess what I’ve also seen elk right off of 70 too. Or hold on … there’s a good number of photos posted by rok sliders where metadata including coordinates are still attached to the picture thus blowing their cherished spots and further destroying the country.

WTFJohn

WKR
Welcome to Rokslide where saying I’ve seen elk is a crime. Guess what I’ve also seen elk right off of 70 too. Or hold on … there’s a good number of photos posted by rok sliders where metadata including coordinates are still attached to the picture thus blowing their cherished spots and further destroying the country.

So you understand that people will go to the level of looking at uploaded photos for metadata to find hunting spots, but don't think posting a spot like that would have a negative impact? Just because someone makes a poor decision doesn't mean you need to reinforce it with another one.

I could tell you where a herd of elk is right now, or a bunch of muley bucks, or a nice bull moose. But if I post that info, it will bring more people wanting to find/kill said animals into the area. Even if they don't end up in the same drainage, they will have a negative impact on everyone else's hunting in the area. Stop thinking of just yourself, and look at the bigger picture. Your impact on the animals and landscape is larger than just your boot prints, and posts on here last a lot longer.

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
So you understand that people will go to the level of looking at uploaded photos for metadata to find hunting spots, but don't think posting a spot like that would have a negative impact? Just because someone makes a poor decision doesn't mean you need to reinforce it with another one.

I could tell you where a herd of elk is right now, or a bunch of muley bucks, or a nice bull moose. But if I post that info, it will bring more people wanting to find/kill said animals into the area. Even if they don't end up in the same drainage, they will have a negative impact on everyone else's hunting in the area. Stop thinking of just yourself, and look at the bigger picture. Your impact on the animals and landscape is larger than just your boot prints, and posts on here last a lot longer.
I think brining more people into hunting and increasing access is beneficial in the long run. To me, my statement was no different than saying water is wet. No 💩 there’s going to be animals in a 5 year old burn, you just have to hustle to find them.

The issue is that we certainly have different perspectives regarding what we see as good things at the most basic level.

WTFJohn

WKR
I think brining more people into hunting and increasing access is beneficial in the long run. To me, my statement was no different than saying water is wet. No 💩 there’s going to be animals in a 5 year old burn, you just have to hustle to find them.

The issue is that we certainly have different perspectives regarding what we see as good things at the most basic level.

I bring plenty of people in to hunting, both big game and small. I also spend every day actually out in the mountains working in elk, deer, moose, antelope, etc... country and I see the impact of people like you blowing out spots. It happens with recreational users too, from hikers to backcountry skiers to fishermen.

Your mistake in all of this is assuming you have to give something like a location up in order to 'increase access'. It's wrong when influencers, podcasters, and TV shows do it; and it's wrong when you do it too.

If I had to guess, that burn happened before you started hunting and you don't understand the difference in elk populations in that area post-burn. You also don't realize that the wolves in that area have been having a good time on the ground, further decreasing your opportunity to harvest an animal. Good thing you didn't draw attention to that spot, you might still have a chance if you're lucky enough.

Not everyone that posts on here live on the front range or is a NR. Plenty of us live where you vacation, and spend more time in elk country in a month than you will in 5 years. My perspective on the impact of this kind of stuff doesn't come from a windshield at 65 mph, it comes from living and seeing it every day.

WRO

WKR
What defines "poorly managed?"

Public land is managed for multiple use. So it may be poorly managed for one thing while being well managed for another.

When it turns into a homeless camp..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Loo.wii

Loo.wii

WKR
I bring plenty of people in to hunting, both big game and small. I also spend every day actually out in the mountains working in elk, deer, moose, antelope, etc... country and I see the impact of people like you blowing out spots. It happens with recreational users too, from hikers to backcountry skiers to fishermen.

Your mistake in all of this is assuming you have to give something like a location up in order to 'increase access'. It's wrong when influencers, podcasters, and TV shows do it; and it's wrong when you do it too.

If I had to guess, that burn happened before you started hunting and you don't understand the difference in elk populations in that area post-burn. You also don't realize that the wolves in that area have been having a good time on the ground, further decreasing your opportunity to harvest an animal. Good thing you didn't draw attention to that spot, you might still have a chance if you're lucky enough.

Not everyone that posts on here live on the front range or is a NR. Plenty of us live where you vacation, and spend more time in elk country in a month than you will in 5 years. My perspective on the impact of this kind of stuff doesn't come from a windshield at 65 mph, it comes from living and seeing it every day.
Though we have " left the reservation " in regards to this conversation. I think this is an interesting conversation. IMO saying that a burn area the size of a small state has animals does no harm. But for the sake of the discussion i will yield to you. Its very interesting that you bring wolves into the conversation, I spent 2 weeks chasing bears in idaho a few months back. specifically in units who according to rokslide are decimated by wolves. hilariously enough I saw more elk in those units than i have ever seen in my life. You could literally wake up walk 100 feet and eyeball elk at over 1000 yds. This anecdote is contrary to the popular sentiment on this forum though it does not take into consideration the totality of facts. YMMV. your last statement is almost certainly false. As I've had to develop my hunting skills and strategies without the generational knowlege that you may have ive made it a point to get up get out and get some extremely frequently so I put in more trail time than most people. Trail running which i do frequently is good for the soul and great for scouting.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.