What do you carry in your vehicle for self recovery when hunting?

Getting ready for this years season. After last year, I realized how woefully unprepared I was for the slick as snot mud in SW Montana. Four wheel drive Tundra with AT tires, and I almost got stuck first day out.

Trying to get more prepared for this year. So far I’ve purchased a heavy set of chains for my rear tires, which should greatly improve my traction over last year.

I also carry...
shovel
Tire patch kit
Tow strap
Ratchet Straps
First aid kit
Tool kit
Jumper cables
Tire pump
Spare tire
Chain saw
Plus everything else I need to hunt for 10 days (including an In Reach for truly desperate situations.)

Should I invest in a high lift jack and or come along? High lift jack seems more versatile, but a come along is more compact and less expensive. I’d need a set of recovery chains and adapter kit to use the high lift as a winch, and all that is like $200! I’ve already spent way too much getting ready this year... Recovery boards are another option.

Another consideration is the fact I might be in an area with no trees to winch off of. (I was last year when I almost got stuck.)

Would a set of knockoff recovery boards be sufficient?

I’m not looking at using my vehicle to hunt from necessarily, just get me to the trail head. That said some of those roads can be really sketchy in late Oct early Nov.

Thanks for the help!

Last edited:

robtattoo

WKR
I have a high-lift, tow strap, short shovel, 2 come-alongs (with fence stretcher clamps) blanket, gallon of water, quart pot & fire lighting gear, a 12x12 tarp & usually 3 packets of ramen.

That's on top of the usual tools.

I've considered adding a heavy Danforth style boat anchor, for treeless recovery. It's a much cheaper option than a mud anchor kit & works just as well.

Mosby

WKR
Looks like you are getting the right stuff together. You might consider getting a set of more aggressive tires for your truck. AT tires are great on highway but they suck in mud and wet snow. My brother about kills himself every year when he leaves the main road because he won't switch out his tires. Tires make a huge difference.

I have a high lift but I decided to get a hand winch to keep in my truck. I bought a Wyeth Scott come along with some quality straps, not just for to get my truck unstuck but to pull blow downs off the trail. I hunt in areas with a lot of blow downs. They are pricey though.

I just ordered an ARB snatch strap tonight to keep in my truck along with much of the stuff you listed. I am also looking at recovery boards. The knock offs seem to work but they also seem to break in cold weather. The more expensive boards seem to have a better warranty, so I am leaning towards a name brand and buy once. Finding them on sale seems almost impossible. I am probably going to wait until Black Friday and see if I can find a deal.

Clarence

WKR
If I'm only throwing one set of chains, they always go up front, much better traction and control. My.02. Give it a try, I believe you will agree.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hi Lift jack only works if you have a lift point.

The gadget that allows you to lift from the wheel combined with some traction mats has worked well for me. Especially in that snow/clay mess. Lift the wheel, shovel in gravel. Stuff in a traction device and then lower the wheel. Works well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Come along, hilift, snatch strap, treestrap, and an ax. Chainsaw if it’s been bad for deadfall for one reason or another.

I drive a wagoneer or a Cherokee. both have 31” all terrains and traction aids of one or another sort in the axles. But I’ve used that same kit for a Toyota 4Runner a Tacoma and a Forester.

Next year I’ll be back to having a winch in the front bumper. I haven’t owned any chains in 5 years since i moved to the lower 48.

I carry a spare, plug kit, plug in pump, and a set of wrenches and sockets. I don't need a straps, come a longs, etc... because if it is that bad, I walk. Trucks cost too much to tear up when your two feet could have walked around it.

kickemall

WKR
I started carrying a set of the devices that strap onto the tires and they’ve saved me a couple times ito get out of jams. Easy to put on and out you come. Haven’t used them buried bad in mud but for light sticks they’ve worked well. 90 bucks for 4 from Sportsmen’s Warehouse.

Is it okay to have chains just for the rears on a 4wd? I'd think that would mess with the transfer case, but maybe not.

I carry a tow strap, shovel and very strong sense of "don't go there" when it's warranted. I figure there's plenty of ground I can hike into that most folks are driving by, so my truck stays on the better roads with very few exceptions.

Fitzwho

WKR
I carry a full set of chains with the intent of never wanting to use them. More of a get out if I get weathered in and need more traction to get back down the mountain.

Otherwise axe, shovel, tow straps/chain, air compressor, and tire plugging kit stay in my truck at all times.

Fatcamp

WKR
Fingers crossed that the chains from my F250 fit my 4runner. I'll only be able to use the rears, but with big ST Maxx tires it should be ok. Down the road an air locker.

Shovel, high lift/wheel hooks, straps, jumper cables(should swap out for a jump pack), tire plug kit, air pump(just tossed a bad one), saw, axe, two full size spares, spare fuel. Maybe traction boards. Need to figure out a roof rack for all this crap.

That's what on my list for this vehicle. We have plans to venture into more remote areas so will step up gear.

Fatcamp

WKR
I carry a spare, plug kit, plug in pump, and a set of wrenches and sockets. I don't need a straps, come a longs, etc... because if it is that bad, I walk. Trucks cost too much to tear up when your two feet could have walked around it.

We don't think of this year to get in, we think of it as a way to get out. Snow, rain, tree fall are all examples of how things can change.

I understand. But, an atv will go anywhere and get you out of anything. A lot cheaper, a lot less work, and more reliable then all the straps chains, saws etc...

RockinU

Lil-Rokslider
chain, tow straps, clevis shackles, snatch block, hi lift, come a long, axe, shovel, tire plugs. The axe has been used a lot this year.

Fatcamp

WKR
Gotcha. No ATVs here. We've looked at them but pulling a trailer is a hassle. Our goal is an off road capable vehicle that we can sleep in. Trying a 4runner now. We'll see.

I understand. But, an atv will go anywhere and get you out of anything. A lot cheaper, a lot less work, and more reliable then all the straps chains, saws etc...
I know too many people who have been killed or permanently disabled on atv's including two co-workers and the children of four friends. If my silverado 4wd won't get me there, I'll either walk or I will go somewhere else.

Clarence

WKR
Fingers crossed that the chains from my F250 fit my 4runner. I'll only be able to use the rears, but with big ST Maxx tires it should be ok. Down the road an air locker.

Shovel, high lift/wheel hooks, straps, jumper cables(should swap out for a jump pack), tire plug kit, air pump(just tossed a bad one), saw, axe, two full size spares, spare fuel. Maybe traction boards. Need to figure out a roof rack for all this crap.

That's what on my list for this vehicle. We have plans to venture into more remote areas so will step up gear.
I would size those chains up now. Mount them and make sure they fit properly. If too large they can always be cut down. Better to find out now than on the side of the mountain. I have become alot quicker to hang them over the years. They give so much more control in situations that, without them would be nerve wracking. Speaking personally, one of the most valued pieces on the O.P.'s kit list.

Fatcamp

WKR
I would size those chains up now. Mount them and make sure they fit properly. If too large they can always be cut down. Better to find out now than on the side of the mountain. I have become alot quicker to hang them over the years. They give so much more control in situations that, without them would be nerve wracking. Speaking personally, one of the most valued pieces on the O.P.'s kit list.

Roger that. Just got new tires last week. Tape measure says they are gtg.