What items do you carry multiples of while in the backcountry?

Extra Knife, 2 bics, headlamp/flashlight and more wet wipes than I need. Always have more than one water purifying method in group. Usually an extra fuel cannister for the jet boil even though I never need it.

OP
B
Man the extra waist buckle is a great idea, and one that I didn’t consider. Just bought two on Amazon for my hunt next week… This is why I made the thread!

Right now my list is…

Fire starters
Headlamps
Water purification (forgot to list this one too, I always have backup tabs in case the steripen shits the bed)
Knives
Waist buckles

Keep it coming guys!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
My list is almost a carbon copy of this. I carry an extra lighter, tinder and emergency matches in my bino harness. Same exact approach on knives/socks/nitrile gloves/headlamp (I have a petzl e lite).

I will carry aqua tabs as a filter backup - I used to carry multiple squeeze bags to filter with but the hydropak is so tough I can trust it.
two headlamps- I was a one headlamp/spare battery guy until I had a headlamp go on the fritz, now it's two

two knives- one fixed blade (custom) and one changeable blade

two pairs of socks, one for sleep (or the last day) worn daily

I carry a full sized Bic in my pocket w/ some tinder attached via ranger bands, one full sized Bic in my fire kit (a very robust fire kit at that)

two pairs of nitrile gloves

TaperPin

WKR
Water tablets & purifier
Waterproof matches in waterproof container & bic & small wood matches in ziplock & wax fire starter
7-1/2 minute map & forest service map
Headlamp & flashlight

It‘s funny how a bad experience changes what we carry. In decades spent in the Rocky Mountains I’ve been really cold, really hungry, really thirsty and a few other reallys, but only once was hypothermia a sure thing if something wasn’t done and thank god for multiple fire sources. When it’s been raining and sleeting for a few days making a fire becomes a little harder. 🙂

Scoot

WKR
If I'm bivy hunting, I carry 2 lighters, 2 pair of socks, two shirts, two underwear (socks, shirts and underwear are just one extra, besides the one I'm wearing). More than one wipe is usually a good plan too.

My list is much the same
Knives
Headlamps
Lighters
Water purification
Socks
Waist buckle
The one thing that I carry in duplicate that I don’t see here is a heavy duty contractor bag. A pair weighs about 3-4oz and they are very versatile. I’ve used them to wade creeks, line my pack, as a pack cover, emergency poncho, ground cover, meat sack for throwing it in the creek to cool off. So useful, just don’t grab scented ones.

mlgc20

WKR
I used to carry duplicates of a lot of things. Over the years, they've all gone away. I don't think I have and dupes in my pack anymore. As I get older, the premium for me is on reducing weight.

I used to carry duplicates of a lot of things. Over the years, they've all gone away. I don't think I have and dupes in my pack anymore. As I get older, the premium for me is on reducing weight.
Not even a spare mini bic or a petzl? Damn. I don’t think I could ever cut those out.

mlgc20

WKR
Not even a spare mini bic or a petzl? Damn. I don’t think I could ever cut those out.
If it's going to be really wet, I might carry a lighter or stormproof matches. 95% of the time I just use my flint. If my headlamp dies, my phone has a flashlight. Although, I've spent over 40 years in the woods and never had a headlamp die on me that wasn't just running out of batteries. YMMV.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Once you do lose a Bic, have a headlamp quit, misplace a knife in the dark in the middle of processing, etc you're thought process changes just a little bit :D

robtattoo

WKR
The one thing that I carry in duplicate that I don’t see here is a heavy duty contractor bag. A pair weighs about 3-4oz and they are very versatile. I’ve used them to wade creeks, line my pack, as a pack cover, emergency poncho, ground cover, meat sack for throwing it in the creek to cool off. So useful, just don’t grab scented ones.

Well........shit.

*Tromps back to the cupboard.

OP
B
Once you do lose a Bic, have a headlamp quit, misplace a knife in the dark in the middle of processing, etc you're thought process changes just a little bit :D
Yeah there is “ultralight” and then there is “stupid light.”

No backup for critical items like fire starters, headlamps, knives, etc is stupid light.

dtrkyman

WKR
Bic lighters as well as waterproof matches and fire starters.

Multiple ways to purify water, gravity filter and life straw.

Knife, one edc always in my pocket and a havalon in the pac.

Headlamps.

Burt's bee's lip balm x2, vanilla bean!

Westernduck

Lil-Rokslider
I’m the same as most others it seems. My extras are a knife, light source, fire starter and water purifier(tablets). I do try and make sure I have one in my pockets and one in my pack when I have two of something. Just in case I got separated from my pack for some reason

2 Headlamps
2 Sporks
Multiple Lighters
2 extra tent stakes
2 hydra packs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seeknelk

WKR
Do headlamps have a high rate of failure or something? An LED Bulb with a simple switch would be one of the last things in my gear that I would suspect to fail.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
Not failure that I've seen besides failure to keep it in my possession. I had just bought a new BD and went the next day up into some very rough, brushy country, a bit of a grizzly hotspot. Half hour or maybe more before dark when it was putting puffies away etc for walk out , I put my head lamp on my head. Well....when I got to the start of the cliffs n brush right at full dark, reached to turn light on.... gone. It was a long evening and the darkest night I've ever experienced even with snow on the ground it was like the inside of the proverbial cow. Branches poked my face before I had a clue they were there. And heard pissed off bears multiple times I was sure😂.
That's why I bring two. Another time I forgot any altogether and killed a tank of a buck right before dark but thats another story ...
- more than one arrow, cartridge and boot for sure. 👌

-

tyler155

FNG
Head lamp- (3rd set spare AAA wrapped in electrical tape)
Lighter
Knife
Tp
I like to wrap duct tape and electrical tape in my trekking poles too.

In addition to what some have already mentioned:

1) Lens wipes
2) Shoelaces (but only for boots where paracord won't work)
3) Spare Eyeglasses

Also, not so much a "two of" thing, but as far as redundancy goes, I always have a paper map and compass with me, backing up OnX or a GPS.

On the contractor bag mention, I'm a big fan of this, but recently learned that a lot of the companies are putting insecticides in their bags. It's a bit of a PITA to find heavy-duty contractor bags that are unscented and not containing neurotoxins.