Any of you all run a Winch on your truck?

Luked

WKR
We bought a new to me truck a few weeks ago. Hopeing to have it for a while and trying to get some things lined out to set it up better for hunting. Its already got a lift and 35s on it. Thinking of putting a Winch on the front also for the just in case times.
For those that have which one did you go with and why?
Thinking of going with a Smittybuilt with rope instead of the steel cable.
What are some other things you have done to make your truck hunt ready?
Had a shell on my last one and liked it, but dont think im going that route with this one. Maybe just a flat tri fold cover on the bed so I have a decent place to keep tools dry.

Lift, winch, and tires are a great start. A quality set of chains for at least the front would be another good prep item. You didn't mention the make/model of the truck, but if solid axle in the rear, an electric locker would be another idea if money isn't an issue.

I have the Extang 2.0 tri-fold cover on my Ram, and its been a very good unit so far. Made in the USA as well. It's very easy to put on and take off too.

I have a Warn that is 20 years old now. Been on several vehicles. I still use steel cable as I'm worried about damaging the synthetic stuff.

I definitely like having it, end up using it for a lot of stuff aside from recovery.

Keep in mind placement and how it pertains to the cooling systems on your vehicle.

CRJR45

WKR
I went with the Rough Country 1200lb synthetic rope winch . Paramount front bumper to hide the winch . I added a second battery with a Battery Isolator Switch . Topper , tire chains , compressor and all the accessories for the winch , snatchem block, extra D rings . 3 inch lift and 32 inch tires .IMG_3540.jpg

Dennis

WKR
I run winches (various types) on hunting vehicles and add 6,000 lb. hand winch for when I need to go backwards or sideways instead of forwards. Deadman bars for when there are no trees or rocks to winch to. Chains all four, axe, shovel, saws (regular and chainsaw at times), tree strap, soft and hard shackles, snatch straps, winch extensions, snatch block, tools, nylon straps for rigging, I also have added an InReach for satellite messengers for just in case. Good luck

uglymud

FNG
Classified Approved
Winch is great to have for sure, I have an older warn 8274, but for occasional use about any of the new smittybuilt, warn, or superwinch setups should be fine. Synthetic rope for sure, make sure you have plenty of straps shackles and atleast one snatch block.

Air compressor is a good call as well, there are some really good hardwire units and some decent ones with alligator clips to the battery. Just know it takes a while to air back up with any of these setups.

One of the best things you could do if you're really worried about capability is a locking differential. Otherwise you've just got 2wd.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

A winch will help you and someone else get out of a bad situation.It’s useful for cutting wood too.

hunterjmj

WKR
I always planned on buying a winch but I'm 45 now and I've never needed one. Chains and and a shovel have gotten me out of some nasty stuff. If I were to get one it'd get the attachment to swap it from front to back or put in the shop when not needed.

I've got a smittybuilt 9500 with synthetic line on my 4 door jeep on 37's.

Has seen lots of use on the trail. No issues at all after 7 years of use. Winch, some tree savers, soft shackles and a jack can get you out of about anywhere.

TaperPin

WKR
For any winch essentials are a tree protector (it’s not just for trees), snatch block, and a couple of shackles. With synthetic rope one of the donuts can take the place of a shackle, and soft shackles look hard to beet.

Anyone new to winching should look at winch accident videos - fatal accidents start off innocently enough, but get the winch cable in-line with a human body, and when things break the mass and velocity of a shackle propelled by breaking straps or cables shows how fragile our heads are. Many will say just use synthetic rope/cable and you don’t have to worry about it, but more than one winch was just a little short and a nylon pull strap is used to extend the pull, and then you need to treat it as if it’s the more dangerous steel cable.

I agree with jjohnsonelknewbie about the importance of tire chains. I’ll go so far as saying they will be 10x as valuable as a winch. For off-road, bigger is better. For ice something with cross bars is nice. Forget about cable chains.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
Truck is a 2019 Ram 1500 crew cab.
Love the truck and will say I have never had the need for a winch in the past other than Off Rod rigs i have had. But with doing more hunting and planning more hunts out west the thought of snow and Ice in later season hunts I can see the benifit of having one.
The Compressor is a good point also.

I run CO2 for air. 150 psi fixed regulator. Works great with a small tank I can air up about 36 tires before needing to fill the tank at the local fire extinguisher place.

Much faster than 12v compressor and no need for tanks, wiring etc etc.

svivian

WKR
Instead of a bumper mounted winch, I'd personally go for a front tow hitch & a winch mounted to a hitch attachment.
Sometimes it's a damn sight easier to pull backwards than forward & it's handy being able to pull it off when it's not needed.
Im going to second this... theres times on single track roads where you need to be winched backwards to get out and being able to put it in the hitch solo is nice. Ive had to run the cable under the truck before but damn it can be sketchy and sometimes not enough cable to get the job done.

riversidejeep

Lil-Rokslider
Seems like every time I used an electric winch the battery's died just before I was done with it. That's with a diesel and 2 battery's and engine running . To be fair it was a 12000 lb winch and it drew a lot of amps. When I put a winch on my Jeep I went with a Mile Marker hydraulic 10,000 2 speed. Just teed into the power steering pump and that sucker will pull all day long until you run out of gas. Best thing since sliced bread.

I've got a winch on this truck (second one with one) and I'll never have a truck without one again.

Apex 12000 from HF. served me well in the past. Got a cheaper HF on my trailer.

I've used it for a ton of stuff besides just getting unstuck. They are very handy.

OP
Luked

Luked

WKR
I have heard a lot of people talk about the Harbor Freight Badlands series of winches. Have never seen one used yet. Nice to hear they seem to work well.

Weldor

WKR
Always run a winch, Smittybuilt on the jku and warn on the Ram. Plus a highlift aboard each. A shovel never hurts either. I have been running rope on both, like it much better than steel cable.

JBrew

Lil-Rokslider
I have heard a lot of people talk about the Harbor Freight Badlands series of winches. Have never seen one used yet. Nice to hear they seem to work well.
I have a HF on my Jeep and Ranger. Both work great.