What cartridge should I use?

What would you take for a walk-in Wyoming deer/antelope hunt?

• Lightweight: 6mm ARC NULA bolt-action, 20-inch barrel, not threaded, no suppressor

• Lightish weight: R700 Ti integrally-suppressed .22 Creedmoor with SWS barrel (14 inches of rifling)

• Moderate weight: Zermatt TL3 w/ 20-inch PROOF carbon barrel in .22 Creedmoor w/ suppressor

• Moderate weight: Rokslide Special Tikka .223 with 17-inch barrel

Results are only viewable after voting.

TaperPin

WKR
For posterity/ people reading this thread in the future who are looking for information and capable of learning from others experiences. Not trying to change the mind of anyone who has participated thus far.

Google: (name of aftermarket trigger company you like) slamfire
I believe Form recently warned people to not break loose the factory Tikka trigger bolt, because that makes it more susceptible to self loosen and cause a slam fire. I think it’s hilarious, but no you shouldn’t sell all your tikkas because of it.

buffybr

Lil-Rokslider
.... I sold all my 700s, and strongly prefer not hunting with people who are using them because of the trigger situation.
I have 3 Rem 700 rifles that I hve been hunting with and shooting since 2000. I've used two of those rifles in 7 mm RM on elk and antelope hunts in Montana, 3 Africn hunts, and 4 Canadain hunts. I've used my Rem 700 chambered in .375 RUM on 2 African and 1 Alaskan hunt.

All of these rifles have their original factory triggers that I have adjusted down to 3 pounds. I only shoot handloads in these rifles, and I have developed 3 shot moa groups with each of them and with multiple bullet brands and weights. This has resulted in hundreds of shots fired in load development, practice shooting and hunting shots. I have NEVER had a trigger malfunction or any other trigger situation.

I have been walk in hunting for deer and antelope in Colorado, Wyoming, and/or Montana just about every year since 1965. My first deer hunt was with an iron sighted Win 94 in .32 Spl, all of the rest of those hunts were with 24" barreled bolt action rifles chambered in .30-06, .22-250, 7 mm RM, and .257 Ackley. I have never hunted with a suppressed rifle, and I don't intend to.

For the OP's original question, hunt with the rifle that is the most accurate and that you are most comfortable with.

Last edited:

ckleeves

WKR
I think rem clone triggers work fine for the discerning gentleman who hunts mature bucks and bulls in the fall, but if your a heathen who hunts pregnant cows in Jan/February then you may want a Tikka just because the constant in/out of the heated truck can cause some serious condensation. And coffee spills pose a serious risk also if a fellow were to dump 24oz of caramel macchiato in his action while in hot pursuit of a herd of elk on the winter range.

mtnbound

Lil-Rokslider
Not a good sample size, but I have had 4 AD’s with 2 different R700’s. #1 AD - when it was placed up against a tree. Thought it was a fluke. #2 AD - same rifle when it was set on the ground on its left side. Rifle went to GS and a new trigger was installed. #3 AD - same rifle new trigger and no issues for a few seasons, then when rifle was laid across my lap it went off. That rifle was sent to Remington and they replaced it. I sold that rifle. #4 AD - different R700 rifle 10+ years newer than the other one and it went off when I lost my footing and hit the ground with the rifle in my hands. Neither rifle’s trigger was modified, the safety is always on until the rifle is pointed at my target. The only way I would carry a R700 system is with an unloaded chamber. Again not a big sample size but that’s a life time of AD’s. I have not had any other AD’s since with various other rifle systems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fwafwow

WKR
I believe Form recently warned people to not break loose the factory Tikka trigger bolt, because that makes it more susceptible to self loosen and cause a slam fire. I think it’s hilarious, but no you shouldn’t sell all your tikkas because of it.
I want to eat and drink what you do, as you certainly laugh, chuckle and find lots of stuff hilarious!

fwafwow

WKR
OP - I’m taking to Wyoming for deer my RSS with 16.5” barrel, a TBAC, shooting BH 77 TMKs. If I get my Rokstok in time, it will be on the rifle.

TaperPin

WKR
I want to eat and drink what you do, as you certainly laugh, chuckle and find lots of stuff hilarious!
I will admit to being opinionated, but don’t take hobbies too seriously - we’re not curing cancer. Anyone I argue with would would be a good shooting friend in the real world. . . . well, except for the guy who refuses to use a hoof pic. :)

OP
StupidLightweight
Interestingly, with 84 votes tallied so far, the NULA 6 ARC has a one vote lead, even without a can. I didn't expect that. On this forum especially, I expected the Tikka .223 to notch the victory.

Well if we go by posted mostly anecdotal threads about failures, that range from bowels to failure to fires, maybe we should go back to throwing rocks. . .

OP take the rifle you have the most experience/confidence in and make your shot count.

Last edited: