What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ODB

WKR
Yes, I have been. I have to for work, constantly. I can choose not to, but unfortunately I've been a responsible, hard working and dependable person my whole life, and handouts don't come so easy for me it seems. So I go to work. I am lucky to have my job and probably get paid more than I'm worth, and right now it is very important to me. Things are a little different in the airport, such as everything but Chic Fila's being closed, but there are still mobs of people at the airports. I'm talking about all hubs, from Denver, Seattle, to Kalispell.

I have an "essential personnel" letter that I keep on me that was issued to me, but I'm hardly essential, to anyone but my family who enjoys living in the house I provide for them and 3 kids that are in and out of the orthodontist. All this is in jeopardy and I will be loosing my job soon, so good for you, those that say I'm crazy. I won't be flying much longer after my company is bankrupt. I'll be trying to figure out what to do about my house and health insurance.

In the meantime I'm feeling more well and able-bodied than I have in a while.

Thanks for the reply. I hope your job situation stays positive.

You mention your 'essential' letter - has anyone inquired as to the reason for your travel? I am slated to travel soon, it's for personal business, not work business. Just curious if the hassle is going to make driving more of a possibility...

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the reply. I hope your job situation stays positive.

You mention your 'essential' letter - has anyone inquired as to the reason for your travel? I am slated to travel soon, it's for personal business, not work business. Just curious if the hassle is going to make driving more of a possibility...
No one has batted an eye. No questions, nothing. Same ole', same ole', people sitting around enjoying their lattes and bagels, head buried in their phone. Most shops are closed except that marts and a few food places. I'll fly again on Friday, going from New Orleans to Seattle.

I was even flying through Seattle in the hottest time for all this. It was the same ole' routine for me.

Be safe on your trip. I carry hand sanitizer, and keep my hands out of my face. I also wear a mask, especially while boarding.

Reactions: ODB

ODB

WKR
No one has batted an eye. No questions, nothing. Same ole', same ole', people sitting around enjoying their lattes and bagels, head buried in their phone. Most shops are closed except that marts and a few food places. I'll fly again on Friday, going from New Orleans to Seattle.

I was even flying through Seattle in the hottest time for all this. It was the same ole' routine for me.

Be safe on your trip. I carry hand sanitizer, and keep my hands out of my face. I also wear a mask, especially while boarding.

Thanks for the info.

Depending on when you fly out we may cross paths in Seattle ;-)

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info.

Depending on when you fly out we may cross paths in Seattle ;-)
I've actually enjoyed traveling since everything went crazy in February. It's been really easy getting around. I'm sure by Friday things will be a madhouse, maybe worse than normal. People will be making up for lost time. LOL

Reactions: ODB

tdot

WKR
My wife has had a number of flights in the past 2 months. Today they told her it was mandatory to have a mask to go thru security and board the plane. Fortunately she already had one, as otherwise it didnt appear there was anywhere to buy one at the airport. This was in Vancouver.

The security guy also mentioned that there were 900 passengers scheduled for the day, at the entire airport. 50,000 is normally considered a slow day.

jmez

WKR
While I agree with you in reasoning, focusing on the rate while downplaying the number of deaths in comparison to an average (or even a severe) flu season is a bit trite. And based on the latter, you would be hard pressed to say it is not more deadly than the flu.
I'm not trying to downplay the number. It is higher than I originally thought it would be. And I'm not comparing it to the flu, there aren't any real numbers yet do nothing to compare at this point.

I look at the percentage/rate. If you are going to make comparisons you have too. Without knowing the infection rate you are hard pressed to say anything. To date, this year, it has killed more people than influenza. That is all you can say and conclude. It still may be a less deadly virus when everything shakes out.

My opinion, its worth what you pay for it. I think we'll find this about the same as the flu for mortality rate unless you have a pre existing condition, then it's going to be higher.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
My wife has had a number of flights in the past 2 months. Today they told her it was mandatory to have a mask to go thru security and board the plane. Fortunately she already had one, as otherwise it didnt appear there was anywhere to buy one at the airport. This was in Vancouver.

The security guy also mentioned that there were 900 passengers scheduled for the day, at the entire airport. 50,000 is normally considered a slow day.
I think the mask thing is part of the this whole first phase of opening up. Many stores where I live, like Costco are now requiring masks to enter, where 2 weeks ago they didn't.

The only reason I've got a mask is because I've been into a doctors office a few weeks ago and they gave me one to wear while I was in there.

Okhotnik

WKR
So it's not more deadly, it's just kills more people?

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk
Any reliable stats to disprove or just a hunch formed by the incredibly dishonest msm? What about those murder hornets? Have you factored that in too? lmao

MattB

WKR
I'm not trying to downplay the number. It is higher than I originally thought it would be. And I'm not comparing it to the flu, there aren't any real numbers yet do nothing to compare at this point.

I look at the percentage/rate. If you are going to make comparisons you have too. Without knowing the infection rate you are hard pressed to say anything. To date, this year, it has killed more people than influenza. That is all you can say and conclude. It still may be a less deadly virus when everything shakes out.

My opinion, its worth what you pay for it. I think we'll find this about the same as the flu for mortality rate unless you have a pre existing condition, then it's going to be higher.

Based on what we are learning about the high rate of asymptomatic carriers, I expect the COVID death rate will be lower than the flu when all is said and done. But I think COVID will kill ~2x as many people as die during a bad flu season given how communicable it is by comparison.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Based on what we are learning about the high rate of asymptomatic carriers, I expect the COVID death rate will be lower than the flu when all is said and done. But I think COVID will kill ~2x as many people as die during a bad flu season given how communicable it is by comparison.
Certainly interesting, where we may be dealing with something that’s less deadly, as a mortality rate, but kills more people due to it spreading so fast, and from asymptomatic carriers. Strange times.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
Certainly interesting, where we may be dealing with something that’s less deadly, as a mortality rate, but kills more people due to it spreading so fast, and from asymptomatic carriers. Strange times.
It's my opinion that this is exactly what we are dealing with.

jmez

WKR
If that's the case then it is actually a positive. In the long term it will then kill less people.

tdot

WKR

The Flu death rate is also lower then the official rates. Not everyone with the flu is tested, nor accounted for.

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
My entire family caught the flu and passed it around to each other a couple of months ago. Luckily I was flying. LOL. But they were hurting! Bad! They tested pos for type A. My wife is at high risk for any kind of respiratory illness too, and she kicked it with no issues.

Last edited:

MattB

WKR
The Flu death rate is also lower then the official rates. Not everyone with the flu is tested, nor accounted for.

That is an interesting point and one I intuitively agree with (almost mentioned it above in fact), but have no stats or anecdotal evidence to support that.

One also wonders about asymptomatic carriers with the flu. In my lifetime, I don't think we've seen a disease tested as intensely in people without symptoms as COVID.

highstepper

Lil-Rokslider
The true infection rate is going to be orders of magnitude higher than what is currently reported. The death rate is not. That is going to decrease the death rate by orders of magnitude.

A lot of folks are confusing the case fatality rate with the infection fatality rate. Indeed, the infection fatality rate for covid 19 looks to be about 0.5 percent if you factor in 10x the number of known cases from initial antibody testing versus a crude case fatality rate of 5-6%. There's the order of magnitude you speak of.
However, the infection fatality rate of seasonal flu is typically about 0.05 percent or less . There's another order of magnitude. The case fatality rate of seasonal flu is about 0.1 percent.
This crap is not the flu. I've been around ICU's for 35 years, including doing quite a bit of care of patients with ARDS. I have never seen multiple hospital's ICUs with every bed occupied by people on vents from one disease, most of whom will not survive. Yes, a lot of them with coexisting disease or advanced age. Some in previously good health, in their 30's or 40's. Trust me on this: for those folks who end up desperately ill, it is a much more grim prognosis than respiratory distress from the flu., and such distress occcurs more frequently with covid. Even factoring in the high infection rate from a covid naive population, this is a whole different animal in terms of lethality.

A lot of folks are confusing the case fatality rate with the infection fatality rate. Indeed, the infection fatality rate for covid 19 looks to be about 0.5 percent if you factor in 10x the number of known cases from initial antibody testing versus a crude case fatality rate of 5-6%. There's the order of magnitude you speak of.
However, the infection fatality rate of seasonal flu is typically about 0.05 percent or less . There's another order of magnitude. The case fatality rate of seasonal flu is about 0.1 percent.
This crap is not the flu. I've been around ICU's for 35 years, including doing quite a bit of care of patients with ARDS. I have never seen multiple hospital's ICUs with every bed occupied by people on vents from one disease, most of whom will not survive. Yes, a lot of them with coexisting disease or advanced age. Some in previously good health, in their 30's or 40's. Trust me on this: for those folks who end up desperately ill, it is a much more grim prognosis than respiratory distress from the flu., and such distress occcurs more frequently with covid. Even factoring in the high infection rate from a covid naive population, this is a whole different animal in terms of lethality.
Really curious what area your working in.

Stay safe!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.