What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NDGuy

WKR
Trust me on this: for those folks who end up desperately ill, it is a much more grim prognosis than respiratory distress from the flu.
Haven't you heard though? More people die of cancer and car accidents every year so it's not a big deal.

(Sarcasm)

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
I just wanted to add in my two cents with the statistical conversations going on since it is what I do for a living, albeit in a large production setting. If I had a similar data set for a large population of parts to what we have for covid I would tell our upper management we couldn't draw solid conclusions from it and more controlled testing needs completed with proven good measurement systems. There seems to be a few identifiable trends but the lack of testing and the variability and bias in testing really puts a question mark beside any conclusions we can draw from those trends. From a statistical standpoint the best data we have so far is the diamond princess, but even that is riddled with bias considering the average age of travelers on the ship/air circulation/confined. It is not a direct coorellation to on shore data.

The antibody testing seems promising so far but there are questions with the test accuracy. How many false positives and false negatives are intermixed there? Also, this study was in one geographical area. What are the societal/geographical influences in that area affecting infection rate/infection death rate/case death rate.

I'm going down my own rabbit hole, I'll stop now.

Lawnboi

WKR
You think the warnings of cleanliness and hygiene are helping? I can’t explain how it hasn’t run rampant through our town seeing as it’s been there over a month. All I can think of is people are actually washing their hands and being more careful.

I feel for you guys in bigger cities, it I can’t quite comprehend seeing as it’s been in my city for over a month, in very vulnerable areas, with almost no effect.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider
Probably that, combined with social distancing and borderline lockdown prior to any exposure in the town. I am in the only county in PA without a case (cdc shows one but it is a false positive). Small town, no known geographical exposure prior to the same measures being put in place in the whole state that were put in place in Philadelphia as required by our Governor.

ohoopee

WKR
Why the big change from earlier CDC announcements about the non-effectiveness
of masks? Now people are pariah for not wearing them.

7mmremmag

Lil-Rokslider

They aren't effective at protecting you, but they help minimize how much of a 'trail' an asympomatic person leaves behind. I think once they realized how many people truly have no sympomts the tone changed. Not perfect but better than someone unknowingly spreading this shit not wearing one.

1dd1000160d4f7a1627824497d83f6a3.jpg

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

ohoopee

WKR
I fully understood the implications of not wearing one. I started wearing
one when it was announced they weren't needed!! lol. Now im considring
not wearing when they say we should:))). Just a contrarian I suppose.

ODB

WKR
1dd1000160d4f7a1627824497d83f6a3.jpg

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

Funny but pretty accurate.

Masks also prevent you from touching pee and then touching your mouth too...if we stay with the illustration as a model...

Not many people routinely watching covid pts are wearing N95s or Paprs.

jmez

WKR

Because people need to feel like they are doing something. Because people like security blankets.

They don't prevent the virus from coming through to you then they don't prevent it from going out. You sneeze or cough into it the virus particles go right through, into the air and onto anything close. People are constantly adjusting them, coating their hands in virus particles then touching other things etc. It is purely psychological.

It isn't nearly as simple as peeing in your jeans. Our medical community has said as much and scoffed at Asian countries for years for using them. Then, with zero new evidence to support the recommendation, have done a 180.

MattB

WKR
Because people need to feel like they are doing something. Because people like security blankets.

They don't prevent the virus from coming through to you then they don't prevent it from going out. You sneeze or cough into it the virus particles go right through, into the air and onto anything close. People are constantly adjusting them, coating their hands in virus particles then touching other things etc. It is purely psychological.

It isn't nearly as simple as peeing in your jeans. Our medical community has said as much and scoffed at Asian countries for years for using them. Then, with zero new evidence to support the recommendation, have done a 180.

I think that might be a bit of a short-sighted perspective. Yes, the research has found that when people coughed in masks it resulted in the virus being detectable on the outside of the masks, and hence the mask did not fully contain the virus on the inside. Ergo, the notion that masks are not effective in containing the virus.

But on the flip side the fact there were detectable levels of virus on the mask (e.g. it did not all go through into the surrounding environment) indicates that masks provide some benefit.

The little bit of research I have read did not attempt to determine the difference in the amount and direction of droplets that made it through the mask versus no mask, so that piece is still undetermined.

NDGuy

WKR

Unless you are suggesting that masks on one or both parties has 0% effectiveness, that entire take is wrong.

Even if it's 5% effective that is better than 0%.

jmez

WKR
That's what I'm suggesting.

And if we are that concerned why isn't everyone wearing masks their entire life. I mean pre vivid if we prevent one death isn't it worth it?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

ODB

WKR

the virus is suspended in what we breathe and sneeze and cough out. When you can prevent *some* of that from escaping your mask, it helps prevent aerosol and droplet distribution. Just wear a mask for an hour and tell me that it’s not harder to breathe - it is. That’s because the airflow is constricted.

See here: https://petapixel.com/2020/04/06/th...ow-masks-help-prevent-the-spread-of-covid-19/

if masks didn’t do anything, why do doctors put them on when treating Cv pts?

If people don’t wear them right or touch them, etc., that’s not the fault of the mask.

Status
Not open for further replies.