What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattB

WKR
That's what I'm suggesting.

And if we are that concerned why isn't everyone wearing masks their entire life. I mean pre vivid if we prevent one death isn't it worth it?

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

Going out on a limb here, but it may have something to do with us not having been in the midst of a pandemic caused by an airborne virus then and we are now.

KurtR

WKR
they have 8,982,849 people but its cool just find stories that make you feel better.

What does their population have to do with wearing a mask? Please read the article:

On April 6th, the government required everyone to wear a mask. Two weeks later, the country has seen a decrease in cases from 90 cases/million to 10 cases/million. So it is adjusted for population, so I fail to understand your point?

Frito

Lil-Rokslider
This has probably been mentioned but the best part about the mask is it makes you aware of your hand to face contact, and that is the main pathway to infection. If you're like me, you didn't realize how often you are itching your nose, rubbing your eyes, maybe gnawing on your nails, all after touching the world around you. Maybe this is a coincidence but I can't help but notice that lately I have been feeling way better as far as my usual allergies are concerned, and I don't take anything for them. I've been very careful about hand to face contact for several months. Maybe some of us will take away something positive from all this.

What does their population have to do with wearing a mask? Please read the article:

On April 6th, the government required everyone to wear a mask. Two weeks later, the country has seen a decrease in cases from 90 cases/million to 10 cases/million. So it is adjusted for population, so I fail to understand your point?
That's one data point. Have there been other reductions in other examples? Is there data from the USA? A few states have required the usage of masks for at least a few weeks now.

I think it’s ironic that in most states you would be arrested for wearing a mask in public just a few months ago. Many states passed mask laws decades ago to combat the klan.

I suspect many in the government would prefer we not wear masks in order to facilitate facial recognition software. Of course they can still track phones and car plates.

Now we have the perfect excuse to wear a mask to help conceal our identities. For example, many of the numbnuts showed up in Michigan with weapons in the state capital and were not wearing masks. That would have been a perfect time to have your face totally covered and be wearing your ZZ Top sunglasses. Why be identified on TV so your boss can see your bright shiny face and fire you?

I think I’m just more inclined to keep wearing mine in the future as this virus probably explodes. I do 10 hours of cardio per week so I’ll probably be okay, but the idea of infecting my parents, both in their 80’s is not worth the risk.

That's one data point. Have there been other reductions in other examples? Is there data from the USA? A few states have required the usage of masks for at least a few weeks now.

The Czech Republic would be another country that has instituted a universal face mask rule. Right now according to worldometers, they sit at 737 cases/million and 24 deaths/million. In the US, we're at 3737 cases/million and 218 deaths/million.

I think it'd be wise to at least institute a mandatory mask rule in large indoor public places such as grocery stores.

This Japanese research article also provides some pretty interesting views of microdroplets, which can hover in the air for 20 minutes or more after a conversation, cough, sneeze, etc.

They think this may be a route for contagion. They note having any windows open at all seem to make these microdroplets disappear. So wearing even any type of mask will reduce the amount of crap in the air coming out of your breath whether you're just breathing, yelling, coughing, laughing, etc. Since you don't know if you're the one that's contagious, that's why its an 'if everyone does it, the rate of spread goes way down' type of thing.
If you live in a dense urban place, perhaps masks should be universally required outside and inside, but in rural settings that seems less necessary to me.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
I think it’s ironic that in most states you would be arrested for wearing a mask in public just a few months ago. Many states passed mask laws decades ago to combat the klan.

I suspect many in the government would prefer we not wear masks in order to facilitate facial recognition software. Of course they can still track phones and car plates.

Now we have the perfect excuse to wear a mask to help conceal our identities. For example, many of the numbnuts showed up in Michigan with weapons in the state capital and were not wearing masks. That would have been a perfect time to have your face totally covered and be wearing your ZZ Top sunglasses. Why be identified on TV so your boss can see your bright shiny face and fire you?

I think I’m just more inclined to keep wearing mine in the future as this virus probably explodes. I do 10 hours of cardio per week so I’ll probably be okay, but the idea of infecting my parents, both in their 80’s is not worth the risk.

This is a real interesting aspect of this whole situation. The other day I was in a parking lot near a bank. Patrons coming and going wearing masks. And I thought back a few months, to when I read an article about a serial bank robber in the Seattle area. He got away with it by not hurting anyone and by being careful to conceal his face. I wonder if we’ll see a rash of COVID bank robberies.

This is a real interesting aspect of this whole situation. The other day I was in a parking lot near a bank. Patrons coming and going wearing masks. And I thought back a few months, to when I read an article about a serial bank robber in the Seattle area. He got away with it by not hurting anyone and by being careful to conceal his face. I wonder if we’ll see a rash of COVID bank robberies.
Especially when we have the highest amount of unemployed Americans ever.

Mike7

WKR
The list of things which don't make sense to me with this whole thing is many pages long, but here are a some from memory.

Late January and the month of February:

The media playing down the numbers coming out of China which suggested potentially up to an approx 2.5% death rate, many times that of the death rate of the average flu season potentially.

WHO states that the virus isn't transmitted between people.

During this same time Trump Admin is called racist and unnecessarily reactionary for closing international flights from first China, and then again later Europe and other parts of Asia.

Into March and well after the first noted community spread here:

The media is suddenly going crazy about how everyone was going to die from COVID, and that the Trump Admin is killing people because they didn't lock the whole country down earlier, couldn't supply all of the medical providers with PPE (providers who are supposed to be doing this on their own), and they had delayed a test which was about as accurate as the flip of a coin.

Models come out which predict over 2 million people will die, with little to no additional data.

Later in March, during the freak-out, draconian lock down measures are instituted by many states for healthy (not ill) people, which were completely untested measures and still remain nebulous at best...but at least some of them kind of made sense initially. These are instituted with the express intent of flattening the curve so time can be used to ramp up PPE production within the US and ensure that hospitals would not be overrun....of course that goal post has been moved now, at least by the media and many state governments.

Trump Admin is derided by the media for not taking national control over some states, despite over 2 years of a constant media drumbeat about Trump being a dictator.

Some state governors/state health directors make poor decisions, generally by dictating things from the top down without consultation with regional health districts or providers on the ground....e.g. sending COVID+ patients back to nursing homes, decreasing buses so that more people are crammed onto fewer buses, closing down parks so that fewer people are crammed into smaller public areas, controlling medications even after shortages are addressed instead of leaving this to local treatment teams, etc.

The media and progressives still come out against the Feds controlling our borders, and are still silent at best regarding the danger of China controlling production of so many of our essential goods, including medical goods which were needed in this pandemic, and which have been continually found to be in short supply or recalled by our FDA, even during the 15 years prior to the pandemic.

April:

Criminals are let out of prison, including young criminals...to go where?

Some data starts coming in from here and around the world. Media freak out continues, with the media only reporting on data which perpetuates their narrative, despite empty hospitals around most of the nation.

People, particularly those who are heavy media consumers, are afraid to go to the hospital despite other serious health problems, with regional health district recommendations completely ignored. Who knows how many people this will kill? No one knows yet.

Congress spends more money than we can ever pay back (and according to many, it is still not enough), enslaving future generations, and decreasing how far our future tax dollars go in providing govt services forever.

Many people, "like on this forum every day", react to every little far less than perfect study with often generalized strong opinions (some of which would infringe upon Constitutional rights) about actions and outcomes for the future that are scarcely warranted by the minimal available data. Possible correlation doesn't equal causation, in vitro studies doesn't always equal in vivo results, etc., etc.

Many state govt's on the other hand are afraid to change course at all despite new data. In fact, they double down on restrictions and enforcement, to include forcing people into their houses which many studies show is the number one place to get COVID.

Later in April:

Not only Trump and some state governments are getting called murderers if they open any portion of increasingly Unconstitutional lock downs, but now people who are protesting some of the draconian measures, are being called Nazi white supremacist murderers.

The UN suggests that 135 million people are already now on the edge of starvation, just with the disruption in economies to this date from the COVID response, but that up to 1 billion people world wide could be starving (by next year I think, can't remember the that date) if the current COVID economic shutdowns are continued.

Governors tell people that they can turn up or down their restrictions on people at a whim, and don't expect to release that power until a vaccine is produced....despite that the likelihood of a really effective vaccine in the near future is slim to none. Also, if no vaccine is available, they talk of the need for restrictions until testing and tracing is almost universal...this for a disease often without symptoms, and with Ag testing that is not very sensitive, and Ab testing which is not very specific.

Epidemiologists and doctors, who suggest that for a large portion of the population COVID is likely only as deadly or less deadly than the flu and that maybe these people should be allowed to get COVID sooner rather than later, are called wackos and fake news by the media, tech companies, and state governments and even some medical societies...despite that none of their data or conclusions are challenged on a scientific basis.

Police have time to set up stings to arrest hair stylists who cut hair at people's homes or have time to scour parks to arrest people for not social distancing appropriately, but they don't have time to stand at a busy park, trailhead, or boat ramp to encourage people to use good anti-infection precautions or suggest a nearby park or boat ramp.

Some prior recommendations are now turned into authoritarian measures which are enforced under fine or imprisonment...beaches are closed, people are forced to wear masks outside, people can't attend church even while in cars, people are arrested for not social distancing outside, citizens are encouraged to report others for not social distancing, people can't get a haircut/go fishing/or buy seeds but can shop for marijuana & alcohol.

Govt's that allow people to work and provide for themselves (with people using their own judgement to keep from getting sick) and people who don't wear a mask at all times and in all areas of the country are both told that they are killing people now? So are these "people" that are being killed, the kind of people that were never going to get COVID at all?

jmez

WKR

jmez

WKR
Going out on a limb here, but it may have something to do with us not having been in the midst of a pandemic caused by an airborne virus then and we are now.
Likely exactly why they are doing it. But, we do lose roughly 30,000-60,000 people every year from an airborne virus that is contagious prior to clinical signs. Yet that is just accepted as part of life.

jmez

WKR
the virus is suspended in what we breathe and sneeze and cough out. When you can prevent *some* of that from escaping your mask, it helps prevent aerosol and droplet distribution. Just wear a mask for an hour and tell me that it’s not harder to breathe - it is. That’s because the airflow is constricted.

See here: https://petapixel.com/2020/04/06/th...ow-masks-help-prevent-the-spread-of-covid-19/

if masks didn’t do anything, why do doctors put them on when treating Cv pts?

If people don’t wear them right or touch them, etc., that’s not the fault of the mask.
But things are not always as they seem. Take that same mask and soak it in water. Now it's even harder to breath through, yet its filtration properties are nearly gone.

You may prevent "some" from escaping but does that really make a material difference? You can also throw a handful of salt in the ocean and say you've increased the salinity.

MattB

WKR
Likely exactly why they are doing it. But, we do lose roughly 30,000-60,000 people every year from an airborne virus that is contagious prior to clinical signs. Yet that is just accepted as part of life.

Do you not understand that we've lost more than 60K of our countrymen despite taking unprecedented measured to control the disease?

I for the life of me can't understand why it hurts some people so very deeply to admit this is different from the common flu.

MattB

WKR
My that is compelling evidence!

Remind me, what was the compelling evidence you provided to support the assertion that masks provide 0% protection from communicating or contracting the disease?

jmez

WKR
It is different than the flu, no question. I'm not comparing it to the flu so much as wondering where all the self righteous indignation has been when 60k were lost to the flu. ( Not directed at you, general statement) It was non existent, no one really cared, it's just the flu.

We've lost 60k in a little over a month. We're going to continue losing over the next several. It's a novel virus, that's what they do. Wearing masks in a public setting, IMO, isn't going to materially alter the course. We aren't going to materially alter the course.

You keep the healthcare systems from being overwhelmed and you live with it. Responses don't, and shouldn't be the same across the board.

Status
Not open for further replies.