What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't fool yourself. US gov won't have any legal problems locking down travel if they decide to and things are getting that crazy. It has been a while but I have seen roadblocks set up by Parish Sheriffs to contain hurricane evacuees with my own eyes.

The effectiveness of a travel ban can be debated and I am sure many would find ways to circumvent it. But believe me, if things get really Western your civil liberty will be the first causality.

Trial153

WKR
This sight is doing a good job compiling the numbers with citications.
Take away whatver you want.

S.Clancy

WKR
Fear of getting to that number like we currently do every year with influenza. Since it's been around a while no one is concerned with that.
That's like saying I shouldn't worry about paying a second mortgage because I don't struggle with the first one. This is additive, not in lieu of.

jmez

WKR
Infection rates, exponential numbers, lions and tigers and bears OH MY.

2 1/2 months. Less than 140,000 cases in the world.

Chinese numbers dropping rapidly, you can't believe them you say.

South Korea, the most extensive testing done to date. Numbers dropping. 7979 cases to date, started mid Feb, not exponential growth.

Italy, 15,113 cases as of today, started mid Feb. Not exponential growth. Also factor in here two things, world's second oldest population, virus likes old people. Northern Italy, their epicenter, multiple Chinese owned factories. 100,000 emigrant workers from Wuhan, China. Daily flights from all over northern Italy to Wuhan, China.

Iran, 11,364 cases, started mid Feb. Not exponential growth.

Spain 4,334 cases, started late Feb. Not exponential growth.

Germany, 3,117 cases, started late Feb. Not exponential growth.

France, 2,876 cases, started late Feb. Not exponential growth.

USA, 1,832 caases, started late Feb. Not exponential growth.

Look at the bell curves readily available from health organizations. China follows a perfect bell curve. South Korea's mimics China, just slightly behind on a huge downward trend. Italy, Iran, and Spain are a couple weeks behind China and South Korea, both at the peak right now. Look for numbers in both start to declining in the next week. Spain, Germany and France are just behind those and still on the upswing. US just behind those and just starting into the upswing.

Death rate of 2.3% is not correct. Currently, other than South Korea, there has been no widespread testing. The only ones being tested are the most ill and those with primary upper respiratory conditions that are high risk patients. (They would be high risk patients with the common cold) This gives you a highly inflated and false death rate. You also have a greatly underestimated infection rate. With widespread testing two things would happen. The infection rate would greatly increase and the death % would greatly decrease.

To date we have seen nowhere near the numbers the fear mongers are pushing. We have not seen any exponential growth and cases have started dropping

Numbers and potential make for some scary figures. To date none of them have come to fruition. Potential and a quarter will get you a cup of coffee just about anywhere that sells it.

jmez

WKR
That's like saying I shouldn't worry about paying a second mortgage because I don't struggle with the first one. This is additive, not in lieu of.

Well, we are in full on panic over Corona yet over 60% of our population can't be bothered to get a flu vaccine every year. So for the majority it isn't additive, they never paid the first mortgage.

EastMT

WKR
So Chinese state run media threatens that they can shut down our meds. They make 80-90%of out antibiotics, 70% acetaminophen, a lot of the rest. That would be bad news

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
And if left unchecked and it runs through the population. . . 60-80% of the global population gets it with a 2.3% death rate. . . I'll do the math for you!

@70% infected that would be 123,970,000 dead people! That is the concern and the hysteria. People don't shut down multi billion dollar industries on a whim, or a scam sickness, they are doing these things to slow the spread and mitigate damage. If we slow it down we can get in front of it and maybe stop it.

If you think they are looking only at # of dead you are an idiot! They are looking at infection rates and exponential numbers and realising just how FKD our hospital system will be in July if we keep going at this rate!

Complain about hysteria, complain about fights for TP, I don't care. But for the love of God stop spewing every where you can stupid numbers!

For comparison sake, should Colorado game and parks take harvest numbers on the first day of archery season and say "well shit, hunting doesn't harvest enough animals better stop doing that"?

Death rates are much higher than the flu on a percentage basis and that is the fear! If it infects billions it will kill millions!

So when all those tens of millions were locked up in cities in china they had a 70% infection rate? How come more chinese are not dead from this?

S.Clancy

WKR
Well, we are in full on panic over Corona yet over 60% of our population can't be bothered to get a flu vaccine every year. So for the majority it isn't additive, they never paid the first mortgage.
I'm not arguing that most American's are geniuses, I'm just trying to rationalize Gov't response which may/may not be over blown.

jspradley

WKR
Serious question for the "It's a made up non-issue" crowd.

Have you actually thought about what you are going to do if it turns out you are wrong and this does become, a really, really freakin' big deal?

Worst case for me if I'm wrong is I miss a few social events that I probably didn't want to go to that much and I have an extra 60lb of rice to eat through...that I was going to eat anyway.

fmyth

WKR
The biggest concern I see is that we only have 94,837 ICU beds in the entire USA and they are 68% full on average. So that only leaves us with 44,089 ICU beds for Covid 19 patients. We have roughly 10 million Americans that are immunocompromised, 70 million that are Obese, 68 million with high blood pressure (13million don't know they have it), and 24 million that have COPD.

Serious question for the "It's a made up non-issue" crowd.

Have you actually thought about what you are going to do if it turns out you are wrong and this does become, a really, really freakin' big deal?

Worst case for me if I'm wrong is I miss a few social events that I probably didn't want to go to that much and I have an extra 60lb of rice to eat through...that I was going to eat anyway.

Seroius question for you fear mongers how can you look at the real numbers and claim this is a catastrophe? Maybe you should run the numbers from the swine flu of 2009 and you will see what a joke the Corona virus is

jspradley

WKR
The biggest concern I see is that we only have 94,837 ICU beds in the entire USA and they are 68% full on average. So that only leaves us with 44,089 ICU beds for Covid 19 patients. We have roughly 10,000,000 Americans that are immunocompromised, 70 million that are Obese, 68 million with high blood pressure (13million don't know they have it), and 24 million that have COPD.

Yup, that's kind of a big deal. People don't realize just how fragile our health care system really is, and not just ours, its EVERYONE'S

Billinsd

WKR
The biggest concern I see is that we only have 94,837 ICU beds in the entire USA and they are 68% full on average. So that only leaves us with 44,089 ICU beds for Covid 19 patients. We have roughly 10 million Americans that are immunocompromised, 70 million that are Obese, 68 million with high blood pressure (13million don't know they have it), and 24 million that have COPD.
In December 2002 I came down with the flu real bad. Worst I can remember getting sick. I took the flu shot, however what I got was a different strand. I had a 105 to 106 fever, was taking ibuprofen round the clock. I had a single sheet covering me and when I sweated it completely through I would hang it to dry and then repeat for days. Then my asthma came on strong and I got pneumonia. I went to the ER several times for breathing treatments and when I got better was sent home. I was told that the hospitals were full.

It is a real concern that hospitals will be full. They are probably full a lot during flu and cold season. There doesn't seem to be enough beds.

This isn't a Corona virus isolated problem. They way it looks, there hopefully will be enough beds the way things are going.
Bill

Fatcamp

WKR
So Chinese state run media threatens that they can shut down our meds. They make 80-90%of out antibiotics, 70% acetaminophen, a lot of the rest. That would be bad news

I actually think that is the silver lining to this. The Democrat Congress needs to address our inability to produce these supplies. Now.

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
I actually think that is the silver lining to this. The Democrat Congress needs to address our inability to produce these supplies. Now.

It is more likely that they will advocate their plan to smooth relations with china if they win big this fall.

Status
Not open for further replies.