What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
I know coronavirus kills people. But I am becoming more and more convinced that at least some of the numbers the media are blasting are inflated. Specifically the first days of May.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
As of now the only numbers I think are accurate are newly reported cases because they are testing people at a high rate and it's super easy to have a database for that. As an example Alabama's highest new reported cases day was April 9th and they doubled that number today.

The other are the current death totals overall and the previous year comparisons. You can't fake deaths as you have insurance, employers, family, etc. involved. It also isn't cherry picking. A person dies, they die. That's another number added to the overall total. The previous five years to now there was basically no statistical deviation with the big number. It's 45-60% higher than last year in all the state's and countries heavily impacted.

Everything else COVID specific I think they're trying their best, but as a guy that reviews all kinds of data input imaginable to make decisions that have a large impact I wouldn't rely on anything I see. I saw a stat earlier today of the number of Americans with existing conditions that make them vulnerable and it equalled 137% of the population. Obviously some people are going to have multiple and it might all jive, but they don't explain it that way.

The death rate has been very high compared to normal and there is no wiggle room on that. People can have whatever tinfoil hat theories they want, but the deaths are way above average. There is no logical explanation for that other than COVID or things related to it (higher suicide rate, excessive sedetary living for the obese, etc.)

KurtR

WKR

Deadliest day in the us so far, 2900 lives.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

3287 people die each day from car accidents. 1772 people from heart disease and 7671 from being over weight.... perspective kinda shows at this point there are bigger fish to fry.

3287 people die each day from car accidents. 1772 people from heart disease and 7671 from being over weight.... perspective kinda shows at this point there are bigger fish to fry.
How many of those are extremely contagious?

I can't catch obeisity from my fat aunt.

If you get in a fatal car accident you don't risk infecting the ER doc with a fatal car accident while he tries to save you.

PMcGee

WKR

If you get in a fatal car accident you don't risk infecting the ER doc with a fatal car accident while he tries to save you.

You do risk killing other people driving your car. But you still do that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

JohnB

WKR
For the record the numbers posted by Kurt are a worldwide estimate rather than the US. A quick Google search shows that in the past 10 years the annual death rate in the US from car crashes is 33-38,000. So in the period of the past month and a bit deaths in the US have been nearly DOUBLE the annual rate of car accident deaths. But I'm sure there are still bigger fish to fry.

Matt and durangobrad.
Could you explain why worldometers and CDC show just under 1900 deaths for May 1, and the news media is saying 2,900?

Either explain that or go write lies for CNN.

KurtR

WKR

Dead is dead don’t matter how you get there . If people are scerred stay in your basement in the fetal position. Let us folks who ain’t live our lives. I signed that dotted line to say you decide how your life plays out not the govt that’s just a 13b out look

jmez

WKR

I don't understand this argument. There has never been a plan in place to decrease the infection rate with the virus. No one has talked about that and it isn't possible.

The plan was, and always has been, to prevent overburdening the health care system. Do that by stringing out the cases rather than clustering them. What does it matter if you expose a Dr. tommorow or in August?

Your chance of catching it hasn't decreased. Your chance of catching it won't decrease unless there is a vaccine or until 60% of the population has been infected. That is at least a year away, likely closer to two.

Social distancing, lock downs, stay at home, etc. Does nothing to decrease the area under the curve. Does not decrease the infection rate. Only decreases the death rate if there is no where to be treated. That is not a problem, and hasn't been, except for a few isolated areas.

We live with the disease now. Until it burns itself out, or we develop a vaccine along with herd immunity. If that scares you, stay home. You'll never get it locked inside your house.

You wanting people to stay home so you don't get it is no less selfish than those that want to live their life. Even when hiding behind the facade of "protecting others."

Flatten the curve. We did that.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

MattB

WKR
Matt and durangobrad.
Could you explain why worldometers and CDC show just under 1900 deaths for May 1, and the news media is saying 2,900?

Either explain that or go write lies for CNN.

The news media is saying 2,909 based on WHO numbers. It is likely the WHO daily death count varies because it has a significantly different cutoff time than Worldometers (4A PST versus 7P PST if memory serves). But you have all the answers, so I am sure you knew that.

Does that keep me from having to go write for the 2nd least credible major US news agency because I made fun of the least credible one?

The news media is saying 2,909 based on WHO numbers. It is likely the WHO daily death count varies because it has a significantly different cutoff time than Worldometers (4A PST versus 7P PST if memory serves). But you have all the answers, so I am sure you knew that.

Does that keep me from having to go write for the 2nd least credible major US news agency because I made fun of the least credible one?
It's obvious that WHO favors China heavily, based on their support for China's slow reaction to tell the world about it. Also they didn't properly research China's claims that it doesn't spread human to human, and told the US that "there was nothing to worry about" until February, wasting precious time.
Because they failed to do one of the main things they are in existence to do (prevent global pandemics by early diagnosis, quarantine, etc.) Trump withdrew funding. Also the US has given them a black eye by broadcasting their mistakes.
It looks awfully political to me. The different release time doesn't solve the question of why they would suddenly show a radically higher death toll than CDC.
WHO says 5,000 deaths for May 3. We'll see how that rings out.

I don't understand this argument. There has never been a plan in place to decrease the infection rate with the virus. No one has talked about that and it isn't possible.

The plan was, and always has been, to prevent overburdening the health care system. Do that by stringing out the cases rather than clustering them. What does it matter if you expose a Dr. tommorow or in August?

Your chance of catching it hasn't decreased. Your chance of catching it won't decrease unless there is a vaccine or until 60% of the population has been infected. That is at least a year away, likely closer to two.

Social distancing, lock downs, stay at home, etc. Does nothing to decrease the area under the curve. Does not decrease the infection rate. Only decreases the death rate if there is no where to be treated. That is not a problem, and hasn't been, except for a few isolated areas.

We live with the disease now. Until it burns itself out, or we develop a vaccine along with herd immunity. If that scares you, stay home. You'll never get it locked inside your house.

Flatten the curve. We did that.

If you look at 'the curve' from start to finish (whenever that is...) I think you're right - the area doesn't change. But, if you look at the area under the curve say a week at a time, then it does make a big difference in the total area for that time period...

Flattening the curve is an ongoing thing,, until we have another way to keep from overwhelming medical facilities. If we don't continue to social distance, then the curve will no longer be flattened, and the problems we are trying to avoid will manifest. It sucks, but it makes sense.

sasquatch

WKR
flu deaths magically stopped in February too! hmmm

the number isn't measurable as a percent, and no matter how much it hurts peoples feelings that people die it is part of life. Also the more populated and closely we live the worse pandemics will always be

We can not sustain a shut down economy. the issues will be huge and long lasting. A lot of things are backed by the market, its down EVERYTHING is down and being poor comes with life threatening issues as well. We cant just print money and type numbers in a computer forever. If we could why would we ever work?

We in the great USA have been so shielded from reality for so long we have become delusional to the realities of life.

We have been fed a lot of lies and half truths, I live in a heavily impacted state and nurses are being laid off!

If wed stop feeding people free money from the pandemic I sure bet a lot of peoples views would change

Let people decide what risk they want to take THEMSELVES and stop looking for the government to protect you!

MattB

WKR

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow. When I read the first tenet (pushing out rent and mortgage payments), I though OK - makes some sense. The rest is abject craziness. It appears the article itself may be questionably written and I did not take the time to read the legislation but, if true, is ridiculous.

flu deaths magically stopped in February too! hmmm

the number isn't measurable as a percent, and no matter how much it hurts peoples feelings that people die it is part of life. Also the more populated and closely we live the worse pandemics will always be

We can not sustain a shut down economy. the issues will be huge and long lasting. A lot of things are backed by the market, its down EVERYTHING is down and being poor comes with life threatening issues as well. We cant just print money and type numbers in a computer forever. If we could why would we ever work?

We in the great USA have been so shielded from reality for so long we have become delusional to the realities of life.

We have been fed a lot of lies and half truths, I live in a heavily impacted state and nurses are being laid off!

If wed stop feeding people free money from the pandemic I sure bet a lot of peoples views would change

Let people decide what risk they want to take THEMSELVES and stop looking for the government to protect you!

Well said.

I haven’t been following this thread very closely, but here’s what I got. So a friend of mine (ICU nurse), went to NYC, from Alaska last week, to help out. She just completed two out of 6 weeks and here’s the text she just sent me, “2 weeks down. 14 out of 16 patients I’ve taken care of have died. The 2 living are trached . All Covid. Staffing is fine.” Take that for what it’s worth, but that is no bs, and I think it’s a bit worse than the average seasonal flu.

I haven’t been following this thread very closely, but here’s what I got. So a friend of mine (ICU nurse), went to NYC, from Alaska last week, to help out. She just completed two out of 6 weeks and here’s the text she just sent me, “2 weeks down. 14 out of 16 patients I’ve taken care of have died. The 2 living are trached . All Covid. Staffing is fine.” Take that for what it’s worth, but that is no bs, and I think it’s a bit worse than the average seasonal flu.

My wife was just there as well for ER. Yes they are staffed fine and actually starting to cancel contracts. To put things into perspective about the ICU and COVID, once a patient goes on ventilator it’s pretty much over. However they had more come thru that recovered or will recover from this. When you have a population as high as NY does and then them living on top of each other and really just doing what they want, yes they will have high numbers of COVID patients.

Personally I don’t think it’s any worse or maybe just a tad worse than the flu. The numbers are near identical between the two but what people forget is the flu has a vaccine. Imagine it if didn’t what the numbers would be for flu so to me that just says flu is likely more dangerous.

Status
Not open for further replies.