What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Billinsd

WKR
Tell ya what....instead of arguing about it, lets just watch what happens. As @ShrekYou other folks saying its never going to be the same are merely speculating at this point.
It will never be the same, however how different will things be? It depends on location, people, etc. Some things in some areas could change drastically, while in other areas not change much.

I dont know if it is posted yet but watch the entire thing for a good lesson.
It's always been about economics and trashing Trump at all costs. Come election time...well, we have about 6 months to get ready. Not just ready but ready ready.
This is cut and paste from:

His response there sites screenshots from their study to site where/how they got their info, but that was a little much to also cut and paste.

What they did was simple: they looked at the fraction of patients who tested positive for #COVID19 at the clinics they own. They found 340 out of 5213 tests were postive, about 6.6% Then they assume the same fraction of the whole population are infected.

From there, they scale up to the state level and claim 12% incidence statewide. The news story says it is using the same calculation, but it can't be—how did they get from 6.6% to 12%? Perhaps they estimating infected *ever* versus infected *currently*. It's not clear.

Using that 12% infected figure, and a known 1400 deaths in California, they assume 1400 out of 4.7 million have died. That gives them an infection fatality rate of 0.03%. That is, they think that if 10,000 are infected, 3 will die on average.

The problem with this approach is that during a pandemic, the people who come into an urgent care clinic are not a random sample of the population. A large fraction of them are coming in precisely because they suspect that they have the disease. This generates sampling bias.

Estimating that fraction infected from patients at an urgent care facility is a bit like estimating the average height of Americans from the players on an NBA court. It's not a random sample, and it gives a highly biased estimate.

Laramie

WKR
I agree Brad, there is definitely bias in the surveyed numbers. I do believe they are closer to right than wrong though. Take this study for instance, https://www.axios.com/coronavirus-prisons-asymptomatic-8daaaa08-b53e-4368-adb7-88b7d93efece.html. This is an unbiased survey done on several prison populations. While this is obviously skewed towards their point, it is becoming more and more obvious that a much larger percentage of the population has had Covid-19 than what is being reported.

Laramie

WKR
No the two Drs

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
I agree but their message isn't. Real science takes time. I believe they are on the right path as every antibody study that has been done so far around the world is showing 20 to 50 times more people have had this virus. With that information, even non scientists can easily see the death rate is much closer to the flu than what the dooms day people in the media wanted us to believe.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
b3e2069fee30dee51b5aca989febce5d.plist

d7cddda0d9dac2a4f7d0bd8fbc788207.plist

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Actually quite biased, see above.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

Actually no, you’re making assumptions that aren’t real based off some tweet.

Currently the recommendations for people who think they have covid is to contact their personal physician, not go straight to urgent care.

They did not say the people tested were all worried about covid. People are still using urgent care and the ER for a myriad of problems.

Complete garbage, try again.

Okhotnik

WKR
Actually quite biased, see above.

I see you didn't even bother to review the entire video. not surprised

The great science experts in the media, in the universities, in the govt predicted millions of deaths in the US. Whats the death toll now? What percentage of deaths are attributed to the virus due to other causes?

Actually no, you’re making assumptions that aren’t real based off some tweet.

Currently the recommendations for people who think they have covid is to contact their personal physician, not go straight to urgent care.

They did not say the people tested were all worried about covid. People are still using urgent care and the ER for a myriad of problems.

Complete garbage, try again.
Ha, I don't need to try again.

Assuming that people visiting an urgent Care is = to a random sample is what's garbage.

ER visits are way down right now.

And lots of people don't have a primary care doc. Or their docs weren't testing, etc.

I found this article an interesting read. I'm not posting it here to attack anyone's political ideologies, but I found the projections this study makes pretty interesting to say the least. I hope the author is wrong, but either way many locales will know what direction they're headed in, in about 6 days. I'd guess that people that need to read this won't, and others who do figured as much.

Here is the article:

I see you didn't even bother to review the entire video. not surprised

The great science experts in the media, in the universities, in the govt predicted millions of deaths in the US. Whats the death toll now? What percentage of deaths are attributed to the virus due to other causes?
I did watch the entire thing, my intintial thought was wow this is great news.

But then I decided to dig into it some more and found that how they arrived at their numbers was biased and not very scientific.

Ha, I don't need to try again.

Assuming that people visiting an urgent Care is = to a random sample is what's garbage.

ER visits are way down right now.

And lots of people don't have a primary care doc. Or their docs weren't testing, etc.

I know you don’t. You belong on twitter where your news comes from. The data coming from all over the world is right in front of you and all you want to do is combat it.

To concerned with being right and ignoring reality.

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
It seems there is an assumption that opinions are biased when they’re based on incomplete data. In reality, incomplete data is all we have.

Robby, that’s awesome of Vortex to support our medical professionals. More companies should. I might even go so far as to say there might be a moral obligation for companies who are doing well to support those who support our society - like medical professionals.

Status
Not open for further replies.