What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Certainly a lot of space between and "lets find ways to burn more fuel to create jobs".AOC's ears...

fixed it for ya....

Don’t wanna say told you so......my guess it will be worse then what they are projecting. We will look back at this and ask if it was worth it, I think we will say no.

I can tell you right now it is not worth it at all.

They should have taken the 3 trillion $'s of stimuli money and made ventilators and temporary hospitals for treatment of kung flu only. You have kung flu? Go to the special hospital.....society stays open.
What has been done will not alter how many people get the kung flu in the end. The reason they closed down (supposedly) was to keep icu beds and ventilators from becoming a shortage.....that is the issue 3 trillion $ should have addressed...

I’ve missed the last 20 pages or so, but curious if anyone (or their spouse) is in the medical field. My wife is a RN and the hospital is now offering a “Shared Work” program.

Near as I can tell, it’s a bailout of the medical industry since most nurses are sitting idle right now. I know the bloodbath in NYC is all over the news, but the fact is nurses are being furloughed left and right in the vast majority of the USA. She was emailed today and has until 1 pm tomorrow to elect in or out. In means you sit idle part time and the tab on Fed Reserve pays your wages. Out means you get all your hours but if they don’t need you it is pay without leave or on your vacation hours.

*edit - learned more this morning... more like part-time unemployment program to spread the pain rather than cut a number of staff in their entirety (also not specific to medical industry). Still surprised that the RNs on the general medical floor are getting cutbacks and will now be on the government paycheck not working. Most overblown crisis in our lifetime. Even the “frontline” workers don’t have shit to do despite the predicted millions of deaths.

Last edited:
So my rapid Covid test came back positive for both antibodies and the disease with the later probably being a false positive since I’ve been asymptomatic for over a month now. We did send a nasal swab to the UW lab to make sure I don’t currently have the disease. That result will take a few days.

So I didn’t really learn much from today’s test. If the swab comes back negative I’ll schedule another antibody test. Understanding this little bastard is the quickest way to get back to normal and since I first got symptoms waaay back on 12/24 if I can add a bit to that knowledge base I will.

Laramie

WKR
It would be great if the world's population learned to treat the planet better as a silver lining to this pandemic. I would even be willing to do my part if true science based research indicated I could make a difference without giving up all the things I love. Until then, I'll keep doing all the things I love.

ewade07

WKR
Just heard a news snippit about the effectiveness of the holy grail drug Hydroxychloroquine and CV19. Small study (238 people) showed that nearly double (22%) the patients who received HCQ died versus those who did not (11%). Interesting.....

jmez

WKR
I personally don't think the drug does much. In the study, if they didn't do a random allocation of the drug then the numbers don't mean much. If only the severe cases were given the drug then you would expect a higher % of them to die.

So my rapid Covid test came back positive for both antibodies and the disease with the later probably being a false positive since I’ve been asymptomatic for over a month now. We did send a nasal swab to the UW lab to make sure I don’t currently have the disease. That result will take a few days.

So I didn’t really learn much from today’s test. If the swab comes back negative I’ll schedule another antibody test. Understanding this little bastard is the quickest way to get back to normal and since I first got symptoms waaay back on 12/24 if I can add a bit to that knowledge base I will.
Good info thanks for sharing.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
fixed it for ya....

I can tell you right now it is not worth it at all.

They should have taken the 3 trillion $'s of stimuli money and made ventilators and temporary hospitals for treatment of kung flu only. You have kung flu? Go to the special hospital.....society stays open.
What has been done will not alter how many people get the kung flu in the end. The reason they closed down (supposedly) was to keep icu beds and ventilators from becoming a shortage.....that is the issue 3 trillion $ should have addressed...

And that would have created jobs!

PMcGee

WKR
Just heard a news snippit about the effectiveness of the holy grail drug Hydroxychloroquine and CV19. Small study (238 people) showed that nearly double (22%) the patients who received HCQ died versus those who did not (11%). Interesting.....

Some doctors must believe it works.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

jmez

WKR
The reason they closed down (supposedly) was to keep icu beds and ventilators from becoming a shortage

That hasn't been a major issue and the curve has flattented. It's time to open it back up.

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
WI legislature sued gov. over lockdown.

Also, another serology study out (LA County - 4.1% had antibodies).

Last edited:

Rmauch20

WKR
WI legislature sued gov. over lockdown.

Also, another serology study out (LA County - 4.1% had antibodies).

Lol. That L.A times article is a must read. I’ll be patiently waiting for the doomsday’ers to show back up and tell me how deadly and scary the virus is. The more antibody testing that is done is going to further illustrate how we made bad decisions based on bad data and then just ran with it like a chicken with our head cut off.

“ The mortality rate is based on the number of confirmed infections; the higher the number of infections, the lower the fatality rate. Both studies estimated a mortality rate of 0.1% to 0.2%, which is closer to the death rate associated with the seasonal flu.”

If it didn’t make us all look so unbelievably stupid it Would be funny. But laugh is about the only thing you can do at this point.

Last edited:
CNN doesn't lie man....
I don't think CNN even cares about their reputation. They don't care about Americans either. All they care about is to prove Trump wrong. If the link PMcGee shared is true, and if looks like a health source, I wonder what their story will be if Hydroxocloroquine becomes a common drug for coronavirus in the US? Trump is probably rubbing his hands in anticipation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Fatcamp

WKR
I’ve missed the last 20 pages or so, but curious if anyone (or their spouse) is in the medical field. My wife is a RN and the hospital is now offering a “Shared Work” program.

Near as I can tell, it’s a bailout of the medical industry since most nurses are sitting idle right now. I know the bloodbath in NYC is all over the news, but the fact is nurses are being furloughed left and right in the vast majority of the USA. She was emailed today and has until 1 pm tomorrow to elect in or out. In means you sit idle part time and the tab on Fed Reserve pays your wages. Out means you get all your hours but if they don’t need you it is pay without leave or on your vacation hours.

*edit - learned more this morning... more like part-time unemployment program to spread the pain rather than cut a number of staff in their entirety (also not specific to medical industry). Still surprised that the RNs on the general medical floor are getting cutbacks and will now be on the government paycheck not working. Most overblown crisis in our lifetime. Even the “frontline” workers don’t have shit to do despite the predicted millions of deaths.

RN on a Covid isolation floor.

Even we are mandating(time off on rotation) our RN's. As an organization we have hundreds, if not thousands, of health care workers furloughed. Including many, many registered nurses.

We are supposedly one of the top hot spots in the United States.

I personally don't think the drug does much. In the study, if they didn't do a random allocation of the drug then the numbers don't mean much. If only the severe cases were given the drug then you would expect a higher % of them to die.
It was my understanding that the FDA mandated test cases were never administered the drug, in those case studies, until they were hooked up on vents. Which blows my pee brain since earlier administration seemed to be what "front line" doctors suggested. I have read and heard both. Of course, you'd never expect liberal America to tell you that, even if they'd bothered long enough to learn it

Last edited:

Evol

Lil-Rokslider
Lol. That L.A times article is a must read. I’ll be patiently waiting for the doomsday’ers to show back up and tell me how deadly and scary the virus is. The more antibody testing that is done is going to further illustrate how we made bad decisions based on bad data and then just ran with it like a chicken with our head cut off.

“ The mortality rate is based on the number of confirmed infections; the higher the number of infections, the lower the fatality rate. Both studies estimated a mortality rate of 0.1% to 0.2%, which is closer to the death rate associated with the seasonal flu.”

If it didn’t make us all look so unbelievably stupid it Would be funny. But laugh is about the only thing you can do at this point.

No worries, it'll get spun into a title like 'COVID-19 30x More Contagious - Experts say more will die.'

jmez

WKR
Way too early to make any broad generalizations from these studies. Need to tap the brakes a little there.

None have been peer reviewed. The Santa Clara study had a pretty big potential for bias in their sample selection process. It appears the LA study was random. They have pretty small numbers so the power will be low.

The antibody tests they are using are also unapproved at this time. The sensitivity and specificity have not been well established. That can make a big difference in results.

It will be a while before we get some real meaningfully numbers and studies. The one point we can take away is that far more people have been infected than is being reported. The degree is yet to be known.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.