What are your thoughts on the Kung Flu?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
people really should use non electric treadmills that are hooked up to their grid so we use less fossil fuels.....

This is interesting:

(fox)
Drones being used around the country to enforce coronavirus lockdowns were donated by a company with ties to the Chinese government, raising concerns that the nation many blame for allowing the virus to become a pandemic has sneaked a powerful espionage tool into the skies above its economic rival.

Drones from Da Jiang Innovations (DJI) have gone to 43 law enforcement agencies in 22 states to help ensure social distancing rules. In New Jersey, for example, the Chinese-made drones are being used to spy on citizens where patrol cars can't reach.
Some techy youtuber needs to some research on that batch of drones. I bet they got a special chip in them that puts all the footage automatically online and the Chinese sit over in China and spy.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
The oil price is not a good sign at all.

I am not smart with understanding global economics. What’s driving the drop in oil prices? How is a pandemic having that effect? Fewer people driving and flying and cruise ships not running as usual? Or is it something more emotional?

OP
*zap*

*zap*

WKR
Not my explanation but it is a fairly good one:

Some degree of this is technical.

May oil futures contracts expire tomorrow...tuesday. As front month contracts expire, the contract price approaches the spot price.

But look at the September contracts....over $30. Normally the oil markets are in "contango" where the further out in time you go, the more expensive the price is relative to the near contract months. At this point we are in "super-contango". I have never seen this before but that doesn't mean anything. It's just very surprising and concerning.

I suspect that after tomorrow....when all the May contracts have been rolled out to June or later....we will see a bit of stabilization...........hopefully.

fatlander

WKR
Well we have neither of those, but we're sure using a lot less fossil fuels. That shows that we are capable of using less.

Sent from my F1 using Tapatalk

Yeah we sure can at near 20% unemployment (and rising), extreme travel restrictions, unsustainable remote work for those still employed and schools closed.

We have to get back to real sustainable life at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah we sure can at near 20% unemployment (and rising), extreme travel restrictions, unsustainable remote work for those still employed and schools closed.

We have to get back to real sustainable life at some point.

I agree.

Just hopeful that some of the unnecessary travel will be realised, and reduced.

Some people can work from home vs that 2 hour commute in city traffic both ways.

That business meeting can be done remotely, instead of flying everyone from around the world to one place.

You don't need to go to the grocery store everyday, etc.

Okhotnik

WKR
Well we have neither of those, but we're sure using a lot less fossil fuels. That shows that we are capable of using less.

As long as Families stay home, don't work, don't hunt, don't fish and everyone goes bankrupt and run out of food I guess it is a progressive pipe dream to use less fossil fuels. Here's a clue: electric cars are charged with fossil fuels

fatlander

WKR
I agree.

Just hopeful that some of the unnecessary travel will be realised, and reduced.

Some people can work from home vs that 2 hour commute in city traffic both ways.

That business meeting can be done remotely, instead of flying everyone from around the world to one place.

You don't need to go to the grocery store everyday, etc.

Sure we can cut back in some places but there is just no possible way to sustain this amount of isolationism.

As far as work goes, yes there is a lot of room for teleworking, but for some fields that’s just not possible. You have to actually be places. You can have a lot of meetings online, but you’ll learn more about that person you’re thinking of promoting or hiring during one layover or a couple happy hours than a lifetime of zoom meetings. . .

Mosster47

Lil-Rokslider
As long as Families stay home, don't work, don't hunt, don't fish and everyone goes bankrupt and run out of food I guess it is a progressive pipe dream to use less fossil fuels. Here's a clue: electric cars are charged with fossil fuels
Hydrogen powered vehicles is the only realistic way to fuel cars with zero emissions and it's the most abundant thing on the planet. That would mean that there will never be much money in it, so the people that own politicians will never allow it to happen.

There is some net positives that will come from this as far as daily commuting goes. Elon is a smart guy, but tunnels and car sleds aren't a realistic answer.

The old logic of attendance equals production just doesn't apply to countless professional jobs anymore. This should finally push that line of thinking into the landfill where it belongs.

Okhotnik

WKR
Hydrogen powered vehicles is the only realistic way to fuel cars with zero emissions and it's the most abundant thing on the planet. That would mean that there will never be much money in it, so the people that own politicians will never allow it to happen.

There is some net positives that will come from this as far as daily commuting goes. Elon is a smart guy, but tunnels and car sleds aren't a realistic answer.

The old logic of attendance equals production just doesn't apply to countless professional jobs anymore. This should finally push that line of thinking into the landfill where it belongs.
hundreds of thousands of small businesses like restaurants, movie theaters, hotels, hair salons, florists , construction companies, plumbers, electricians etc can just close up shop and telecommute I guess after they buy a hydrogen powered car and the economy and people's lives can return to normal.

Fatcamp

WKR

At what cost? Millions of people lined up so dear leader can provide? Billions globally at risk of starvation in the coming months?

Idealism has a price, and it is expensive.

Okhotnik

WKR
At what cost? Millions of people lined up so dear leader can provide? Billions globally at risk of starvation in the coming months?

Idealism has a price, and it is expensive.

Every good communist agrees. people have to worship greta and die to save the planet:

каждому в соответствии с его способностями

You guys are very quick to jump to conclusions.

I provided examples of ways to reduce in the future, that don't effect any of the stuff you mentioned.

Okhotnik

WKR

I provided examples of ways to reduce in the future, that don't effect any of the stuff you mentioned.

You sure seem pleased that our economy is tanking and tens of millions are unemployed, lives destroyed as long as we use less over abundant fossil fuels

CorbLand

WKR

I was trying to figure out how it went from saying you dont need to drive to the store everyday to closing down restaurants and all travel for work.

While I dont necessarily agree with you. It does make me chuckle when you can point out a flaw in something and people automatically think you are an advocate for the direct opposite.

Status
Not open for further replies.